Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who should the Bengals draft in the first round (#21 overall)?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jermaine Gresham TE Oklahoma

15 34.09%
  • Arrelious Benn WR Illinois

3 6.82%
  • Golden Tate WR Notre Dame

9 20.45%
  • Mike Iupati OG Idaho

2 4.55%
  • Taylor Mays S USC

12 27.27%
  • Other (elaborate below)

3 6.82%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who should the Bengals draft in the first round?

Re: Who should the Bengals draft in the first round?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    There is a reason that only a handful of rookies earn meaningful playing time in their first season. Coffman looked like a kid thrown into the deep end. All we can say is that he didn't play last year, and did a bunch of pushups in the meeting room. If the HBO cameras had followed Michael Johnson through those meetings, he may have been doing pushups as well.
    Also, most rookies don't have every possible competitor for their position go out for the year before the season even begins. At that point, if you don't scratch the field, it's on you.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I was more concerned with how he came off in interviews. Michael Johnson played some snaps, at a position of pretty good depth on the Bengals. Chase Coffman, as far as I could tell, never scratched the field- and that was AFTER the top two guys ahead of him on the depth chart suffered season ending injuries in training camp. In fact, the Bengals thought so little of the two journeymen they brought in to play ahead of Coffman (Foschi and Coats) that they non-tendered both of them last week. If you watched games last year, you could see how truly awful those two players were...yet Coffman still couldn't scratch the field. That's a HUGE red flag if you ask me.
    I think Coffman's issues were two fold. First of all he wasn't a traditional TE at Missouri in that he wasn't called on to block much. Basically he was learning how to play a blocking TE and struggling with that as a Bengal. Couple that with his foot injury that I don't think ever was right and you have a wasted rookie year for Coffman. Im not ready to write him off, but he does remain a question mark.

As for the Bengals draft I want to see either Buluga, Tate, or Mays. If rumors are correct in that Marshall can be had for a 2nd rounder I would jump at that in a heartbeat now, sign him long term, and use that 1st rounder to solidify the D (Mays or a DT) or build the O Line (Buluga if there or G from Idaho.)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

As for the Bengals draft I want to see either Buluga, Tate, or Mays. If rumors are correct in that Marshall can be had for a 2nd rounder I would jump at that in a heartbeat now, sign him long term, and use that 1st rounder to solidify the D (Mays or a DT) or build the O Line (Buluga if there or G from Idaho.)
    I would do that also in a heartbeat, problem is Mikeyboy won't. Marshall wants a huge contract, and Mikeyboy has been burned by all of his big contracts lately- especially those at WR (Coles, Chad, etc.) I can't see him laying out big money for a guy as unreliable (off the field) as Marshall.
    Go BLUE!!!

I went with Tate as I think he has good speed judging by his 40 time at the combine. I also think you can use him as a return guy teaming with Scott on kickoffs. I feel we can get a TE if needed in the 3-4th round.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I voted for Mays. I'd shoot for a WR/TE in the 2nd round. However, I think BPA is always the best route to take, so it would really depend on who is available.

I would love to have Tate, but I don't think he will be BPA when it is our turn to pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I vote for other - the best player available regardless of position.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I voted for Mays. I'd shoot for a WR/TE in the 2nd round. However, I think BPA is always the best route to take, so it would really depend on who is available.

I would love to have Tate, but I don't think he will be BPA when it is our turn to pick.
    BPA is a great strategy in baseball, not so much in football.

What would you do if the BPA is a Quarterback, a Cornerback, or a Linebacker?

BPA works in baseball because draftees are years away from the majors and you can't forecast your needs that far in advance. Football doesn't work that way. You need someone who can step in right away and have an impact. Also, baseball players can switch positions (in many cases) a lot easier than football players can.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quarterback is a special case but if the best player available is a LB than I pick that LB, if it's a CB I take the CB. Keep replacing talent. If the corner back is good enough maybe you don't have to re-sign J JO or Hall. In the meantime you have hopefully three huge shutdown corners.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Not a big fan of drafting RBs and WRs in the first round. The guys drafted first round in those positions rarely display the talent that justifies taking them in round 1 over round 2 and their success is really dependent on the performance of the OL and the QB. TE may be a different story because its hard to find a good one who can block and catch. Overall though, I refuse to get too worked up by the draft. There's no way to really tell who will succeed and who will fail until you get them on the field.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Quarterback is a special case but if the best player available is a LB than I pick that LB, if it's a CB I take the CB. Keep replacing talent. If the corner back is good enough maybe you don't have to re-sign J JO or Hall. In the meantime you have hopefully three huge shutdown corners.
    And that helps the team compete in 2010 how?
    Last edited by Benihana; 03-01-2010 at 08:32 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

BPA is a great strategy in baseball, not so much in football.

What would you do if the BPA is a Quarterback, a Cornerback, or a Linebacker?

BPA works in baseball because draftees are years away from the majors and you can't forecast your needs that far in advance. Football doesn't work that way. You need someone who can step in right away and have an impact. Also, baseball players can switch positions (in many cases) a lot easier than football players can.
    Actually, it works in both sports. You draft the best player...period. If you have to pay first round money, get the most talent in return. With the average NFL career being what it is and injuries that happen each year, you get the best player that can make the greatest impact the fastest.

If the best player happens to be a position you absolutely don't need (only QB for the Bengals), then you trade down.

And that helps the team compete in 2010 how?
    That's true, teams don't go to three WR's ever.
    You get the best player possible.

If a CB is the best player, then the upgrade from Morgan Trent to the best player available will still likely be bigger than the upgrade from Foschi/Coffman to the TE not as good as the CB.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

J Joseph's rookie contract expires after next year and Hall has 2 years left. If a CB is the best available player, you take him.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    J Joseph's rookie contract expires after next year and Hall has 2 years left. If a CB is the best available player, you take him.
    Either one or both will be extended before the next collective bargaining agreement. I think the reason that one or both weren't extended before this season is the status of the un capped year in which it takes 6 years instead of 5 to be a FA.

BPA works in football, as long as it isn't a position you are very solid at. Its better to take a BPA then reach for a position of need. With the exception of QB and CB the Bengals could draft any position in the 1st round. If CJ Spiller slips to the Bengals that would be a steal. I am not high on 1st round WR's because they end up busting at a high rate. But I do like Tate because he can pay dividends in the return game right away. And Taylor Mays is an athletic freak in the secondary, who may have some knocks against him, but he would be an enforcer in the secondary that the Bengals have lacked since Fulcher.

FYI Taylor Mays just ran a 4.24 at the combine.
    Go BLUE!!!

FYI Taylor Mays just ran a 4.24 at the combine.
    It's since been corrected to a 4.43. What a tease.

Turn Off Ads?