Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Puig be an all-star candidate?

Re: Should Puig be an all-star candidate?

Puig has been the biggest single race changing force in the NL West and may have an impact on the wildcard race when it's all said and done. The Dodgers rose from the ashes once he hit the line-up. I usually agree that guys with partial seasons don't belong, but Puig should be there IMO. When it gets down to actually choosing between him and guys who may be deserving, it might make me change my mind, but ruling him out without consideration isn't something I'd do.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    I think that if he continues the hot streak up until selection time, say is still hitting over .400, I would take him in a heartbeat. His OPS (obviously in limited time) is .300 points above the next best. You could probably add 2 weeks of Ofers and his numbers would still be as good as the best in the NL.
    Close. He had 52 ABs the last 2 weeks. An 0-for-52 streak with 3 walks would put him at .298 (17th)/.345 (29th)/.482 (19th)/.827 (21st).

Do you have to play really good all 3 months, or can you be very average for 2 months and have an amazing month and then get in? (Bruce last year) Really, what's the difference?
    The AS selection is all messed up anyways?
    Marty said it would be a travesty of the game if he was selected even if he was hitting 600! That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard him say.
    Let the young man play!

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

He sure as hell belongs there over a guy like Upton. Yes, I hope he's there.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Is he on a major league roster? yes
    Is he eligible to play in the ASG? yes
    Is he tearing the National League up right now and one of the biggest baseball stories of the year so far? yes

If Bochy picks him, I have no problem at all with it. In fact, I'll probably watch even more of what has become a very boring thing to watch, if Puig makes the team, just to watch him bat once.

And it's all about the ratings, isn't it?
    sorry we're boring

7. Likes:

who cares....I hope he makes it over a Red, just so the Red can go home, get some much needed R&R and come back in 3 days ready to rumble to the end of the season....I get nervous every single time a Red is in the game...I keep waiting on Votto or Chapman or Bruce or whoever to throw out an arm, tear an ACL, break a leg, something to put them on the DL......so with that said, I could care less.......and if Puig being there helps the Reds get home field advantage in the world series then I am all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    who cares....I hope he makes it over a Red, just so the Red can go home, get some much needed R&R and come back in 3 days ready to rumble to the end of the season....I get nervous every single time a Red is in the game...I keep waiting on Votto or Chapman or Bruce or whoever to throw out an arm, tear an ACL, break a leg, something to put them on the DL......so with that said, I could care less.......and if Puig being there helps the Reds get home field advantage in the world series then I am all for it.
    Has any player since Ray Fosse been seriously injured in an all-star game?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post

Not sure but we will never know how many get tired because they played in the ASG.....to me, rest is more important than some media circus of a game that even the players don't take serious until the 8th inning. I would prefer my players relaxing at home with their families

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Barry Larkin at the skills competition during the All-Star Game festivities in 1989.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

12. Likes:

Always Red (07-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Barry Larkin at the skills competition during the All-Star Game festivities in 1989.
    Thanks, Klu. I don't remember that but I guess it shouldn't be surprising. It seemed like Barry was injured for half of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Is he on a major league roster? yes
    Is he eligible to play in the ASG? yes
    Is he tearing the National League up right now and one of the biggest baseball stories of the year so far? yes

If Bochy picks him, I have no problem at all with it. In fact, I'll probably watch even more of what has become a very boring thing to watch, if Puig makes the team, just to watch him bat once.

And it's all about the ratings, isn't it?
    This is the right answer.

I've heard the argument that he hasn't played enough this year to warrant being included. If this were to be the reason why he wouldn't be included, then shouldn't there be a rule specifying exactly how many games a player needs to play in to make it to the ASG?

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I would prefer my players relaxing at home with their families
    Players have blamed the HR Derby for messing up their swings, too. So I'm always glad when Reds players aren't entered in that thing. (Plus I don't have to listen to what seems like 5 hours of "baaaack, baaaaack, baaaack!!!)

16. Likes:

New York Red (07-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    (Plus I don't have to listen to what seems like 5 hours of "baaaack, baaaaack, baaaack!!!)
    Just reading that makes me cringe. Berman is terrible.

18. Likes:

Big Klu (07-05-2013),Norm Chortleton (07-05-2013)

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Players have blamed the HR Derby for messing up their swings, too. So I'm always glad when Reds players aren't entered in that thing. (Plus I don't have to listen to what seems like 5 hours of "baaaack, baaaaack, baaaack!!!)
    Someone did a study on that awhile back and didn't find much to that theory. There were a few guys who regressed to their career norms, but of course that was likely to happen anyway.

One of my side thoughts to all of this is if one of our players can't play in the ASG without it affecting their play or body rest.....they aren't mentally tough enough to handle the playoffs either.

Turn Off Ads?