Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The most important question re: adding Willy Taveras to the Reds...

Re: The most important question re: adding Willy Taveras to the Reds...

Dusty on Taveras:

"His role is he's our center fielder and our leadoff man," Baker said. "The fact that he's so young - he's going to get better. A lot of people talk about his on-base percentage. I like to think in terms of him getting into scoring position."

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...901230407/1071

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Dusty on Taveras:

"His role is he's our center fielder and our leadoff man," Baker said. "The fact that he's so young - he's going to get better. A lot of people talk about his on-base percentage. I like to think in terms of him getting into scoring position."

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...901230407/1071
    I hate the traditional concept of scoring position with a burning passion. First base IS scoring position -- especially with the heart of a lineup behind you. It's hard to get to second base, let alone score, when you're sitting on the pine after grounding out to second.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I must know the name of this that I may buy it immediately.
    It is known as Epic Victory.
    Go Gators!

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I hate the traditional concept of scoring position with a burning passion. First base IS scoring position -- especially with the heart of a lineup behind you. It's hard to get to second base, let alone score, when you're sitting on the pine after grounding out to second.
    But think of the excitement in the first inning:

W. Taveras (somehow gets on base)
    with J. Hairston batting, W. Taveras steals 2nd
    J. Hairston FO-7
    J. Bruce BB
    B. Phillips 6-4-3 DP

EXCITING!

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post

J. Hairston FO-7
    J. Bruce BB
    B. Phillips 6-4-3 DP

EXCITING!
    No rallys killed there. Awesome!
    Go Gators!

J. Hairston FO-7
    J. Bruce BB
    B. Phillips 6-4-3 DP

EXCITING!
    This is just stupid. We all know it will be Votto taking that walk. (followed by Marty degrading him for not swinging the bat with a runner in scoring position)
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

with J. Hairston batting, Taveras steals 2nd
    J. Hairston FO-7
    J. Bruce BB
    B. Phillips 6-4-3 DP

EXCITING!
    Or

W. Taveras steals 2nd
    Dusty has Hairston bunt Willy T over
    J. Bruce BB
    B. Phillips 6-4-3 DP

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

There are days that I'm puzzled as to why many of you are still Reds fans. The negativity on this board can get awfully depressing awfully fast. I guess I never realized how different I was in the fact that I get incredibly excited about the upcoming season anytime ST approaches. Maybe it's because I'm not around the Reds like I was in my youth, the rarity of my seeing them enhances the enjoyment...or something along those lines. Who knows...but I'm still looking forward to '09. :O)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    There are days that I'm puzzled as to why many of you are still Reds fans. The negativity on this board can get awfully depressing awfully fast. I guess I never realized how different I was in the fact that I get incredibly excited about the upcoming season anytime ST approaches. Maybe it's because I'm not around the Reds like I was in my youth, the rarity of my seeing them enhances the enjoyment...or something along those lines. Who knows...but I'm still looking forward to '09. :O)
    I'm a Reds fan today because I was a Reds fan 20 years ago, before I was old enough to make a rational choice based on shared values instead of mere geography.

Being a fan of the team isn't about being optimistic or pessimistic about their chances in the upcoming year. My assessment of the team is a logical calculation based upon my understanding of how baseball games are won and the talent the team brings to bear. It would bring me no additional happiness to project a playoff appearance in the face of evidence suggesting its unlikeliness of happening. As a rational person, I see no reason to put my happiness in the hands of blind faith. Rather, the pleasure of my fandom is rooted in the long term involvement in the broader community of fans.

I can draw pleasure commiserating with my fellow fans about the ongoing self-inflicted struggles of the organization just as easily as I can draw pleasure from shared hopes for playoff glory. Sure, I'd have even more fun if the Reds were a great organization and put great teams on the field. I certainly hope they do well. But the enjoyment felt from the wins, and the pain felt from the losses, gets tallied in a different part my emotional ledger.

Changing my fandom artificially so that I can root for a winner would cost me the great pleasure I get from being a part of this community and having been so for the entirety of my life; being able to cheer for a winner wouldn't begin to fill the hole that would be created. Over time, it would get better. Or maybe not.

I'm a "negative" Reds fan. I think the organization is poorly managed and the team mediocre. But I can't wait for opening day.

I always be a Reds fan. That'll never change.

I'm generally a very positive person and almost always predict to my dad that the Reds will be in the World Series every year. Unfortunately, even with my optimism, I couldn't predict the Reds in the Series last year or this upcoming year. Most of the time it's half joking of course, but deep down I always had hope of it happening. That hope is gone right now. It's sad and really frustrating all at the same time.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Oh good. Are we at the part of the off-season where our fandom is questioned for daring to look at the team and wonder why they have not done more?

Awesome. Nothing says late January on redszone like that kind of childish query. Ridiculous.

Every day I update my facebook status with the number of days until Opening Day. It's not that I don't look forward to the start of Reds season, but I just try to make informed judgments...

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Oh good. Are we at the part of the off-season where our fandom is questioned for daring to look at the team and wonder why they have not done more?

Awesome. Nothing says late January on redszone like that kind of childish query. Ridiculous.
    Don't worry, soon it'll be on to the "well if the stats tell us everything, why even play the season?" in March.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Hey the truth hurts, but it hurts a lot more when you don't see it coming. I finally after many years of relying on the media to tell me how good or bad we might be now have freed myself from those unrealistic expectations by getting informed. I now understand that we can win but it would take a massive string of luck (a miraculous run of timely hits) to do so, sans some serious changes of approach to the game by more than 1 member of the club. But more than that I have realized that this "good luck" would ultimately be bad as it would lead the F.O. to believe they are on the right track. Perhaps the best thing we can hope for is more of the same, at least for one more year.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Honest question here. Do you believe that there is any other team in baseball that would keep Taveras on their roster for what the Reds are paying him in 2010, rather than cutting him loose and actually paying a youngster the minimum salary to potentially contribute to victories for the team?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?