Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 59 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Site Feedback/Questions

Re: Site Feedback/Questions

Are we allowed to tell another poster "you're wrong" if that poster makes an argument we believe is wrong?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Are we allowed to tell another poster "you're wrong" if that poster makes an argument we believe is wrong?
    I'd prefer that not be the basis of a rebuttal since "you're wrong" is nothing more than an opinion. As far as the actual issue that was being debated goes, I agree with the poster that told another poster "you're wrong", but I don't think that's the proper way to respond to fellow user. I think a far more tactful approach than telling someone they're wrong is to make a sound argument to oppose the other user's stance. If you're incapable of doing that, I suggest you don't bother responding. Absolutely, there are FAR more egregious offenses than this, but if anyone thinks that is the most tactful way to respond to another, we'll have to agree to disagree. Let your facts speak for themselves rather than simply saying 'I'm right, you're wrong'. In and of itself, most people (understandably) don't tend to take that particularly well.

I'm not going to get into why the user that prompted your question was banned for a single day, as I'd be violating my own stance that a matter such as this is between the user and the moderator(s), other than to say that this user knows exactly why he was banned and it most definitely was not for telling another user "you're wrong". Keep in mind when you're only hearing from one person in a matter such as this, you're only getting half the story - at best.

When someone is repeatedly advocating that committing a sexual felony is acceptable, I don't think saying "you're wrong" is an attack at all. It's is a statement of fact.

And I would think a family-friendly board was reinforce this position.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    When someone is repeatedly advocating that committing a sexual felony is acceptable, I don't think saying "you're wrong" is an attack at all. It's is a statement of fact.

And I would think a family-friendly board was reinforce this position.
    I don't think my stance was ever that "you're wrong" is an attack, because it's not, but I don't see how that remark, in and of itself, furthers the debate. All it does is create bad blood when someone insinuates 'you're wrong because I said so and nothing more.'

To your last point, I don't particularly disagree - it was our mistake to allow that topic to be discussed, but realistically, I would have never, ever thought someone(s) would feel the way a very small amount of posters apparently do. Even though I strongly disagree with that opinion, they're entitled to voice it as long as we leave the thread open. Understand, though, that had we immediately closed it, others would have complained that the topic couldn't be discussed. Still, in hindsight, knowing what I know now, that would have been the correct move in the first place.

It seems that in that in the last couple days, a lot of double-posts have occurred, far more than usual, all across the site. Any known cause for this?

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    It seems that in that in the last couple days, a lot of double-posts have occurred, far more than usual, all across the site. Any known cause for this?

No, nothing that I'm aware of, anyway...

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Sorry if someone has already asked this. I searched for it to no avail.

Is there any way to set an option that will take you to the newest post when opening a thread you have already been to? On the really long ones, it's sometimes a pain in the neck trying to find out what page you were on.

Thanks, and again, sorry if this has already been answered.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Sorry if someone has already asked this. I searched for it to no avail.

Is there any way to set an option that will take you to the newest post when opening a thread you have already been to? On the really long ones, it's sometimes a pain in the neck trying to find out what page you were on.

Thanks, and again, sorry if this has already been answered.
    Click the little red upside-down ^ next to the title of the thread to go right to the first "unread" post in the thread.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I noticed that after I posted my WYSWYG editor didn't clear the text, thus if others see the same bug they will (and have) hit submit again causing the dreaded double post.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Click the little red upside-down ^ next to the title of the thread to go right to the first "unread" post in the thread.
    Ah, thanks a bunch. Can't believe I haven't used that feature in 5 years haha.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Since yesterday I've been getting quite a few of the "database error" messages. It happened a bunch in last nights game thread, and several times this afternoon. Including about 5 minutes ago. Just thought I'd let you guys know.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Since yesterday I've been getting quite a few of the "database error" messages. It happened a bunch in last nights game thread, and several times this afternoon. Including about 5 minutes ago. Just thought I'd let you guys know.
    Thanks - I've been getting them far too frequently, too, and I've contacted our host about this, as I'm 99.9% sure the problem is on their end. So far, they haven't been able to help, but I'm still waiting to hear back on some recent information I sent them on these errors. Thanks for everyone's patience.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

No problem Boss. Just glad you're aware of it.

FTR, I've had the the same problem you and SC have, Boss.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

FTR, I've had the the same problem you and SC have, Boss.

Unfortunately, it's a site-wide issue that sporadically keeps popping up until they can hopefully resolve the root problem.

Turn Off Ads?