Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Music question: Should the sins of the children be visited upon the parents?

Re: Music question: Should the sins of the children be visited upon the parents?

All I can say to you young uns' is that someday the cool and hip music you are now listening to will be on classic rock radio stations and VH1 Classic.

And you'll gauzily look back on "the day" in sepia tones. And your kids will look at you and say "what a fossil".

It's interesting being on the sunny side of 50. You are no longer marketed to. What you buy and what you do makes no difference to advertisers. They are after that 18-35 market.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Music question: Should the sins of the children be visited upon the parents?

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    You're comparing major labels to the labels I listen to..Which in it's own right is fair and good points that you made. However...

Vagrant Records < Interscope

And thats pretty much what it comes down to.
    A lot of little labels are being sucked in by the bigs. One of my friends runs Beggars Banquet Records; he used to be part of Matador, but now the Beggars Group has a bunch of little labels. it's a separate entity but they're all still part of Matador. Sub Pop is considered a major label. Sony has a lot of smaller labels I think.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

i think Alice Cooper summed it up well in an interview with Metal Edge a couple years back. basically he said that back when he first started, the record label VIPs would actually hang out with you in the studio, want to know what was going on, and just generally be excited about the entire process. then about 1975 that started to change, and by the time of making From the Inside the old line of VIPs were gone. the label was no longer about making music and getting some cash while at it, they were now about making money and the music didn't matter as long as it could be marketed.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Maybe we've just reached the point where all the good music has been written. I mean, I'd be fine if I were just left with Bach, Mozart, Ellington, Copeland.
    And 50 Cent.
    I'm no Philistine.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Maybe we've just reached the point where all the good music has been written.
    i don't buy that for a second. the new Dream Theater, Jon Oliva's Pain, and Dimmu Borgir CDs prove that.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    All I can say to you young uns' is that someday the cool and hip music you are now listening to will be on classic rock radio stations and VH1 Classic.

And you'll gauzily look back on "the day" in sepia tones. And your kids will look at you and say "what a fossil".

It's interesting being on the sunny side of 50. You are no longer marketed to. What you buy and what you do makes no difference to advertisers. They are after that 18-35 market.
    I can't wait for the 2015 edition of "VH1's Classic Albums: Fall Out Boy - 'From Under the Cork Tree'."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I can't wait for the 2015 edition of "VH1's Classic Albums: Fall Out Boy - 'From Under the Cork Tree'."
    What about "VH1's Classic Albums: Thursday - 'Full Colaspe'"?
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    i don't buy that for a second. the new Dream Theater, Jon Oliva's Pain, and Dimmu Borgir CDs prove that.
    CDs? They still make those things, dad?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    CDs? They still make those things, dad?

Right along with the cassette I still own of Beasties Boys - Liscense to Ill..

Those were the days..
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

I really can't comment because I don't remember too much about any of the myriad of concerts I went to back then.

I was never a Grateful Dead fan. Every time I hear Truckin' or Casey Jones I lament the day radio was born.

Yes was another big arena band... revolving stage, laser show, etc.

So where does that leave one's impression of Woodstock? A drugged out, drunken, mudding orgy?.... "GIVE ME A ......!"
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Right along with the cassette I still own of Beasties Boys - Liscense to Ill..

Those were the days..
    I owened the album, cassette, and CD of that at different times of my life. Now I have the mp3's that are on that album.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Right along with the cassette I still own of Beasties Boys - Liscense to Ill.
    3MTA3
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    3MTA3
    *mirror*
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I'm still waiting for someone to come in here bragging about The Smiths, The Sex Pistols (The ultimate consumer band), The Cure and The UK Subs..
    -Hunter S. Thompson

I'm still waiting for someone to come in here bragging about The Smiths, The Sex Pistols (The ultimate consumer band), The Cure and The UK Subs..
    I went to school where Camper Van Beethoven was from, local heroes they were somewhat one of a kind back then, they liked to make money too.

My brother-in-law had one of the guys in HH in his band class and band camp.

Turn Off Ads?