Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aroldis Chapman: Starter to Closer (5/20/12)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Aroldis Chapman: Starter to Closer (5/20/12)

Two years ago tomorrow, Aroldis Chapman took the mound and earned his first save as the closer for the Cincinnati Reds (following some truly disastrous outings by Sean Marshall in that role).

We're now in season 3 of Aroldis Chapman as closer for the Reds, and he's been tremendously successful in that role. But, there's still a large part of me that feels like the Reds missed a tremendous opportunity to develop a bona fide #1 starter for their rotation -- the kind of dominant pitcher that genuinely strikes fear into opposing hitters. Granted, there's no guarantee that Chapman could have ever been that kind of starter or brought the brand of heat over 7-8 innings that he currently brings for 1, but I'm still disappointed they never really tried.

Chapman will likely end his Reds career having never started a game for them. He's accomplished great things for the team, but I wonder if he couldn't have done even greater things as a starter if given the opportunity.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Likes:

nmculbreth (05-19-2014),Norm Chortleton (05-19-2014),OC_Red (05-19-2014),OGB (05-20-2014),RiverRat13 (05-19-2014),Tom Servo (05-19-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Aroldis Chapman: Starter to Closer (5/20/12)

We have a #1 starter who strikes fear into opponent hitters. His name is Johnny Cueto.

What wer don't have is a very good bullpen. Would Chapman have been a great starting pitcher? Quite possibly. But right now Chapman is in the role that we need most.

Same save percentage as Cordero with the Reds...

Chapman - 85.6%
    Cordero - 85.8% with the Reds

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedsLvr View Post
    We have a #1 starter who strikes fear into opponent hitters. His name is Johnny Cueto.

What wer don't have is a very good bullpen. Would Chapman have been a great starting pitcher? Quite possibly. But right now Chapman is in the role that we need most.
    Been proven time and time again anyone can close games.

CEO - Hal Morris Fanclub OC_Red's Avatar

I love watching Chapman light up the gun, but agree...as a closer, he's not maximized talent-wise for the Reds. He enters his first year of arbitration next year and figures to either get a fat new contract or a very hefty raise. If the men continue to go on their current trajectory of a .500 or so ball club heading into the break and I were in a position to field offers I would make it known that Chapman is available to the highest bidder.

I honestly loathed typing that, but it's a market reality for the Reds. Sell. High.

7. Likes:

mth123 (05-20-2014),OGB (05-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsLvr View Post
    But right now Chapman is in the role that we need most.
    He is a cleanup hitter?

9. Likes:

5TimeWSChamps (05-19-2014),OGB (05-20-2014),villain612 (05-19-2014)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    I don't think "anyone" can close games -- there are clearly some pitchers who don't deal with the perceived pressure that goes along with the role -- but I think the number who can do it effectively is fairly high.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I don't think "anyone" can close games -- there are clearly some pitchers who don't deal with the perceived pressure that goes along with the role -- but I think the number who can do it effectively is fairly high.
    You give any pitcher/reliever a lead and no one on base and tell him to get 3 outs, he's going to do it 85% of the time.

You give any pitcher/reliever a lead and no one on base and tell him to get 3 outs, he's going to do it 85% of the time.
    Source?

Let's try Ondrusek then. He's cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

14. Likes:

757690 (05-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Source?
    Common sense

David Weathers in 2007: 33/39 - 84.6%

Chapman will end his career having never started a game for anyone

18. Likes:

Big Klu (05-20-2014)

Chapman - 85.6% Cordero - 85.8% with the Reds
    It pains me to say it but that does speak for itself.

For the past year plus, I've been saying if the Reds refuse to start him shop him to a team that values him as dominant starting material, I'm sure there are several clubs who would like to get their hands on him.

I love watching him and think he's a badarse but I just think he is underutilized.

20. Likes:

SirFelixCat (05-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Chapman will end his career having never started a game for anyone
    That's too bad. I wish the Reds could have at least given him a chance to be a failed starter.

I don't have the energy to look up and post the numbers again. Maybe you can look up my past posts and find them if they are still on this board or out there in cyberspace. Basically, from the time he assumed the closer role ----> Chapman = top 5 closer stuff but only league-average save %.

Just because closers are a little overpaid, doesn't mean just anyone could do it.

With that said, I don't really have a problem with Chapman staying in the pen but I wouldn't restrict him to one inning at a time. Let him go 2 sometimes and get more value out of him. That, or trade him for a bat.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

23. Likes:

CySeymour (05-19-2014)

Turn Off Ads?