Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Billy Packer out at CBS

Billy Packer out at CBS

The Curmudgeon is gone! I've never seen an announcer suck the life out of the sport they announce like Packer did.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/603901.html
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Billy Packer out at CBS

I was about to post this too. He long outlived his welcome. He became what seemed like tired old grouchy man. Not to mention his obvious bias towards the ACC. He was part of the best announcing team college basketball has had. He teamed along with Dick Enberg and Al McGuire for a few seasons while at NBC. I always laughed when McGuire would scold Packer for well......being Packer.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I was about to post this too. He long outlived his welcome. He became what seemed like tired old grouchy man. Not to mention his obvious bias towards the ACC. He was part of the best announcing team college basketball has had. He teamed along with Dick Enberg and Al McGuire for a few seasons while at NBC. I always laughed when McGuire would scold Packer for well......being Packer.
    I would say that he was not the only announcer with an ACC bias (I'm talking about you Dick Vitale, Jay Bilas, most of ESPN...)

BTW, Packer is being replaced with Clark Kellogg. Now, just as a side note, look at all of the ex-OSU guys who have become big in broadcasting. Herbstreit, Kellogg, Chris Carter is working steadily, Speilman does ESPN games,

He'll show up somewhere. ABC or ESPN would probably hire him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    He may go back to doing ACC games for Raycom full time. He was still doing a few games a year for them last season. I'm sure they would take him as a full time analyst. They couldn't get a better promoter for the ACC than him unless it was Vitale.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I wish they would drop Jim Nantz too. Nantz is too cheesy for me. He should stick to golf.

Give me Gus Johnson over Nantz anyday. Nantz is good for golf but he annoys me so much when he does a marque football or basketball game. Johnson may be a little excitable but I take that over Nantz anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Please God no. I can see him and Dick Vitale right now in the same booth.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Yeah, a guy like Packer might lose a job here or there, but there will always be someone else to hire him. You haven't seen the last of Billy Packer.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Christmas came early this year.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Worst national announcer in any sport, and that includes Tim McCarver. Hard to believe Packer stayed employed as long as he did.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Worst national announcer in any sport, and that includes Tim McCarver. Hard to believe Packer stayed employed as long as he did.
    Even worse than Bryant (Insert your own nickname) Gumbel on the NFL Network?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Without a doubt. Packer is about the only announcer (McCarver the other), who I actually turned the sound off to watch. It takes a lot to get me to watch sports with no sound. Packer did it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    The good news is Gumbel is gone too. He has already been replaced by Bob Papa who the play by play announcer for the Giants for next year.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I'm a strong believer that about 0.001% of national announcers have any true "bias," and that 99.999% of those who allege it are paranoid.

I'm neutral on Packer, but I don't think he, Vitale, or any of the talking heads people complain about are "biased."
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?