Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on Chapman

Re: Update on Chapman

yea especially this part

Bob Castellini just told crowd here the Reds don't have enough $$ to get Ohswalt, and he likes the current team chemistry anyway.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    yea especially this part

Bob Castellini just told crowd here the Reds don't have enough $$ to get Ohswalt, and he likes the current team chemistry anyway.
    Why mess with a good thing? They've played .700 ball since the 19th game of the season (21-9). Making changes now would be like Steinbrenner doing one of his many dumb moves.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Man her twitter has more information than anything Sheldon, Ctrent, and Fay have.

Gonna have to bookmark that one.
    That woman is hot!

I'd tell her anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That woman is hot!

I'd tell her anything.
    Yep she's easy on the eyes and I think she's got a nice personality too.

I'll be really curious to see what they do when they bring up Chapman.

From Hal McCoy:

BROADCASTER JIM KELCH, one of my favorite people (you have to love a guy who likes Lee Child’s Jack Reacher novels, as do I and Marty Brennaman), talked to Louisville pitching coach Ted Power about Aroldis Chapman’s latest start Thursday night.

“Best I’ve ever seen him throw,” said Power. “He was dominating with his fastball. He threw five pitches over 100 miles an hour, one at 103. He pitched five innings and threw 90 pitches.”
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...cxtype=feedbot

Next milestone for Chapman is to pitch a full 7 innings.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Next milestone for Chapman is to pitch a full 7 innings.
    How about 20+ innings over 3 starts? I'd go for that. One game would be a nice step but I'd like to see him do it consistently.

It looks to me like the Reds have a pitch count on Chapman. He's had a couple starts where he could have went deeper but was pulled.

Article on Chapman from the AP:

He's maturing and developing with his command [of pitches] and learning the intricacies of the game that he needed to learn," general manager Walt Jocketty said. "He's also getting more accustomed to living here in the United States. That was a big part of it."
    "I think everything has been excellent," Chapman said, with trainer Tomas Vera translating. "The adjustment has been easy. I've got a good relationship with my teammates. I have a good relationship with the organization, with the people that surround me. Everything has been excellent. Everything has been good for me."
    "At the beginning of the game, I wanted to be at the top of my speed," Chapman said. "I want to use my speed at the beginning of the game and after that, I did what I was told to do. So I started mixing up my pitches and I started using more breaking pitches."
    How close is Chapman to consideration for a promotion if another pitcher is needed?

"I think he's pretty close," Jocketty said.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5232020

From Bob Nightengale:

Those 103mph radar readings on Chapman in his last start are legitimate, Reds GM Walt Jocketty says. Wow.

http://twitter.com/BNightengale

Article on Chapman from the Reds website:

"This is his best start as far as the efficiency of all of his pitches," Bats manager Rick Sweet said. "He used them all very well. And obviously, it's the longest outing he's had, but it's the best outing using all of the pitches he's had."

There is currently no timetable for a Chapman promotion to Cincinnati. While he is pitching well and boasts a 5-2 record with a 3.42 ERA, Bats pitching coach Ted Power continues to refine his mechanics.

That's not to say a lot of progress hasn't been made. Speaking with trainer Tomas Vera translating, Chapman said he's had a better feel for his breaking ball the last few outings, and Tuesday was a continuation of that.

"I had better feeling and they were landing in a good location, so I felt more comfortable throwing the breaking pitch than my fastball," Chapman said. "So I relied on those more."
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Article on Chapman from the Reds website:

Quote:
    "This is his best start as far as the efficiency of all of his pitches," Bats manager Rick Sweet said. "He used them all very well. And obviously, it's the longest outing he's had, but it's the best outing using all of the pitches he's had."

There is currently no timetable for a Chapman promotion to Cincinnati. While he is pitching well and boasts a 5-2 record with a 3.42 ERA, Bats pitching coach Ted Power continues to refine his mechanics.

That's not to say a lot of progress hasn't been made. Speaking with trainer Tomas Vera translating, Chapman said he's had a better feel for his breaking ball the last few outings, and Tuesday was a continuation of that.

"I had better feeling and they were landing in a good location, so I felt more comfortable throwing the breaking pitch than my fastball," Chapman said. "So I relied on those more."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    Nice to hear that from them. It backs up the "stats" that you were providing for us inning by inning.

A huge step for Chapman tonight. Very similar to Cueto's and Bailey's "awakenings" 4 starts ago.

If Chapman stays in AAA the entire year, and then comes up late in the year and pitches out of the pen to keep his innings down, and starts the year in the rotation next year that would be ideal, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I wonder what Chapman has to do to make BA's daily prospect sheet. Zach McAllister of the mets posted this line yesterday in AAA and made the list: 6.2 IP 6H 2 ER 2BB's 2K's

Somehow that's so much better than Chapman's line. In fact I think he's only made their list one time. Just kinda odd.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Cruisin' for trouble

Nice writeup by guys at Hardball Talk. They went to the game last night and reported on Chapman's outing.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ected.html.php

But then a funny thing happened: Chapman slowed down. Indeed, for the rest of the game he was consistently at 93-94 m.p.h., only rarely ticking it up any higher. When his velocity first declined Mark and I wondered if something was wrong with him. But then it became apparent: Chapman wasn't throwing. He was pitching.

Turn Off Ads?