Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Re: Shin-soo Choo?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    OK, just back from the Lager House for my birthday. Can someone bring me up to date on where exactly things stand (more or less)? Thanks.

BTW, my wife gave me a nice 1932 Reds replica hat for my birthday. Google it - it's a funky looking "C" that I fell in love with when I saw it.
    Everything seems to be a done deal so far. Probably announced tomorrow, pending physicals. Only mystery is which pitching prospects ARI is shipping to CLE.

2. Turn Off Ads?

So, does this mean the Reds win the Ben Broussard deal?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    OK, just back from the Lager House for my birthday. Can someone bring me up to date on where exactly things stand (more or less)? Thanks.

BTW, my wife gave me a nice 1932 Reds replica hat for my birthday. Google it - it's a funky looking "C" that I fell in love with when I saw it.
    Somebody sneezed on Jocketty's shin and said "ah-choo" and the press immediately started twittering about Azdrubel Cabrera going to the Royals for Myers. That got shot down quickly as Kate Upton was recently seen dating Myers and danced the Dougie to prove it. Unfortunately, many assumed that the Dougie referred to Dougdirt who was still insisting that Didi Gregorious was a top 100 prospect. That inflamed the know-it-all media types and they immediately began a twitter campaign to belittle Doug. Doug was so upset he kicked the wall and stubbed his toe. This of course set off the frenzied idea of Drew Stubbs coming up with a new batting stance where he taps his toe. Intrigued, the Indians GM calls Walt Jocketty and offers Shin Soo-Choo and Jason Donald to the Reds for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious. Not thrilled with Gregorious, the Tribe will then flip Didi to the Snakes for a bunch of kids with powerful arms.

Well, that's the basics of it. Sort of.

Donald as been injury prone in the past. Can play around the infield, came up as a SS. Ok bat. Decent utility guy to have around.

Isn't Jason Donald most well known for breaking up Armando Galarraga's perfect game in that call that the ump botched?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I believe it was Donald.

Donald has also added the OF to his resume, in fact he can play a little CF now. There we go.

I'm lukewarm on this. Love Choo, but as a rental that's a problem. Didi, in some kind of package, could have led a package to Arizona for more, if reports are to be believed.

Walt has a history of extending vets he trades for. But it sure seems like the $$$ will be -- and should be -- there for Bailey and Latos first. With Ludwick on a two-year deal in LF and Hamilton getting close, I don't see how Choo fits past 2013. (I guess the uncounted asset would be the first rounder they'd cop in 2014 if they offer Choo.)

Surprised with the short-term nature of this deal. I guess I'm hoping Choo ultimately replaces Ludwick in LF come 2014. But I doubt it happens.

Donald has been a lesser player than I thought he would be. Seems the Reds have liked him for a while, so maybe there's more there. Will withhold judgment.

On the flip side, nice vote of confidence for Cozart. Thought he was super solid for a rookie. Would like to see some improvement at the dish in 2014 and beyond. He's the guy now.

Pumped for the 2013 lineup now. Let's hope Choo knows how to play for big money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25 View Post
    Fay never thinks the Reds are going to do anything, ever.
    It's pure work avoidance.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Donald has also added the OF to his resume, in fact he can play a little CF now. There we go.
    Well, there we go - someone who can play CF. I love Choo leading off, but am not sure about he or Bruce in CF.
    sorry we're boring

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    So far, his production translates to be a league average offensive shortstop. Average is as average does :0)
    Sure. Plus defense.

so average offense and plus defense = above-average shortstop. That is pretty darn valuable, no?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Wow. Nicely done Rojo.
    Yeah, not a lucky guess at all.

Actually I picked Donald because, with the Burriss signing, I figured WJ's crowd-sourcing for a back-up infielder.

Reds will offer Choo a qualifying offer and get draft pick comp when he walks next Winter.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Can't believe the Dbacks are willing to trade Trevor Bauer for DiDi Gregorius. Wow.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Can't believe the Dbacks are willing to trade Trevor Bauer for DiDi Gregorius. Wow.
    Is that the deal? The Indians aren't sending anything else that way?

I have heard rumblings that Bauer wasn't the easiest guy to coach in the world, but you would think he had a little more value than Didi.

-The Insider-

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
    choo goes to #reds. done deal.

Turn Off Ads?