Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: US Women's Soccer Team Royally Screwed

Re: US Women's Soccer Team Royally Screwed

Very poor defending on that goal allowed to Japan. Play to the outside, not across your goal, defending 101.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Julie Foudy is so bad...

Nice goal by Wambach.

Agree on Foudy but Ian Darke is outstanding. Wow! Got lucky there.Rampone saves the day for the time being!

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Julie Foudy is so bad...

Nice goal by Wambach.
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

Well crap!
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

Japan can win the world cup here.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

And there it is. Japan wins.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

The US has only itself to blame. Choking 101. And I am so tired of hearing about all the turmoil and trauma in Japan. It has nothing to do with soccer nor this result, nor will this make anyone's lives who were affected by it easier.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    The US has only itself to blame. Choking 101. And I am so tired of hearing about all the turmoil and trauma in Japan. It has nothing to do with soccer nor this result, nor will this make anyone's lives who were affected by it easier.
    It will give the people of Japan something to smile about. I rag on the media more than most, but I don't mind that angle on this story. In the grand scheme you are correct, it is meaningless. But it brought joy to many on the island today.

They look pretty happy to me. I am sure it does mean a little something?

Brazil just missed ALL of their penalty kicks against Paraguay and are out of Copa America. Talk about a bad day for penalty kicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Brazil just missed ALL of their penalty kicks against Paraguay and are out of Copa America. Talk about a bad day for penalty kicking.
    If you get the chance pick up last month's issue of Four Four Two. There is an excellent cover feature called "The Death of Brazil" that covers the rapid decline of Brazilian soccer. Very interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    It will give the people of Japan something to smile about. I rag on the media more than most, but I don't mind that angle on this story. In the grand scheme you are correct, it is meaningless. But it brought joy to many on the island today.
    I hope it brought a few smiles to faces there and if we had to lose to someone, I am glad it was them. That being said, they laid it on so thick that you almost felt guilty for rooting for the Americans. I hate that kind of crap. Reminiscent of when the Saints won the Super Bowl. Katrina, Katrina, Katrina. Horrible, awful event that touched millions of lives and ruined plenty of those. But sports should never have been a part of that storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I hope it brought a few smiles to faces there and if we had to lose to someone, I am glad it was them. That being said, they laid it on so thick that you almost felt guilty for rooting for the Americans. I hate that kind of crap. Reminiscent of when the Saints won the Super Bowl. Katrina, Katrina, Katrina. Horrible, awful event that touched millions of lives and ruined plenty of those. But sports should never have been a part of that storyline.
    I have several very close friends in Japan. You can't possibly imagine what this has meant to them.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I have several very close friends in Japan. You can't possibly imagine what this has meant to them.
    I can't possibly imagine suffering through that kind of disaster.

That being said, it's not what sports is supposed to be about. If it was, then we should just stop the MLB season right now and create some sort of relativistic misery index for every city that hosts a professional franchise and award the world series title to the city that scores the highest and distribute the pennants to the ones who score directly below.

I am happy for the Japanese people, I am. I am not saying they shouldn't be thrilled or celebrate this victory and I hope it makes everyone there very, very happy. I am just so tired of producers of sporting events playing up that angle.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Anyone who downplays the effect sports can have on a national psyche may be forgetting the returns of football and baseball following 9/11.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Anyone who downplays the effect sports can have on a national psyche may be forgetting the returns of football and baseball following 9/11.
    Exactly. It is one of the things that makes sports great in my book.

Turn Off Ads?