Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone see that crazy stuff in the Tigers/Indians game?

Anyone see that crazy stuff in the Tigers/Indians game?

1 out away from a perfect game and the umpire blew it on a terrible call at first?

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=8616789
    Whatcha gonna do, brother, when Brennemania runs wild on you!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Buckeye Bomber

Re: Anyone see that crazy stuff in the Tigers/Indians game?

Jim Joyce already admitted that he cost the kid a perfect game.

What an ugly situation. I feel for both parties.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

I couldn't believe it when I saw it live. I was speechless. Such a shame. I really wish the MLB could award him a perfect game but apparently they can't do it.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Yeah. Sucks for both of them.

terrible

Rojo Johnson #99

Jim Joyce was my least favorite umpire even before this game. I remember him being a total jerk during a Reds game last season. He's so hardheaded and unnecessarily confrontational. He becomes aggressive when people dispute his calls and tries to intimidate the other person. He gives umpires a bad name and really needs to be evaluated after this game.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seņor Rojo View Post
    Jim Joyce was my least favorite umpire even before this game. I remember him being a total jerk during a Reds game last season. He's so hardheaded and unnecessarily confrontational. He becomes aggressive when people dispute his calls and tries to intimidate the other person. He gives umpires a bad name and really needs to be evaluated after this game.
    He couldn't have gotten off any easier as all the Tigers including Gallaraga and Leyland would not say anything bad about him. The media ran with how bad a call it was but repeatedly complemented him as one of the best in the game. I don't know myself, but when he makes a personal apology to the team in the locker room after the game all I can do is feel bad for everyone involved. Human error is a you know what sometimes.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Watching it live it looked extremely close, but I figured that a tie would have gone to the pitcher throwing a perfect game.

One fan's reaction to the call:

YouTube - Armando Galarraga Loses Perfect Game Thanks to Umpire Jim Joyce

Last play at 3:00
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Who tapes themselves watching a game?

I guess people will do anything to be a part of history man

Honestly if a Red was throwing perfect game I was probably tape me and my buddies going bonkers. Then again maybe I would be too superstitious. I dunno, but I can't blame the guy either way. He was enjoying a piece of history with his kids.

Quote Originally Posted by sabometrics View Post
    I guess people will do anything to be a part of history man

Honestly if a Red was throwing perfect game I was probably tape me and my buddies going bonkers. Then again maybe I would be too superstitious. I dunno, but I can't blame the guy either way. He was enjoying a piece of history with his kids.
    I would tape the game. And maybe he did. I am about 99.9% sure I wouldn't tape myself watching it. No harm done, I guess. It just struck me as odd.

Okay Ive got a comment about this call.

I played first base my whole career and on more than one occasion had a runner called safe on me for What was called "Double clutching" Or "Bobbling"

Same exact thing the pitcher does in this play. The ball was sno coned in his glove and he opens his mit and secures the ball.

Numerous did i do that on a scoop play or what not and had the runner called safe on me.

I was told to leave it sno-coned and secure the ball with my throwing hand.

So imo he could have been called safe on that end of the play as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    Okay Ive got a comment about this call.

I played first base my whole career and on more than one occasion had a runner called safe on me for What was called "Double clutching" Or "Bobbling"

Same exact thing the pitcher does in this play. The ball was sno coned in his glove and he opens his mit and secures the ball.

Numerous did i do that on a scoop play or what not and had the runner called safe on me.

I was told to leave it sno-coned and secure the ball with my throwing hand.

So imo he could have been called safe on that end of the play as well.
    No the Ump said he thought the runner beat the play, "Double clutching" Or "Bobbling" had nothing to do with it

I noticed the sno-cone, but I think he had the ball secured when his foot was on the bag. After he touched first base he then dropped the ball down into his mitt. As far as I'm concerned he had the ball with his foot on the bag. Blown call.

Turn Off Ads?