Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds 25-man Roster on March 31??

Reds 25-man Roster on March 31??

As I am sitting here listening to the Reds-Rays game on WLW, I was wondering how everyone sees the Reds roster working itself out. So, I sat down and worked out my roster if I were Dusty Baker and Wayne Krivsky.

Pitchers (13) (always seem to be nice to carry an extra pitcher to begin the year)
    SP A. Harang
    SP B. Arroyo
    SP H. Bailey
    SP J. Fogg
    SP J. Cueto
    RP F. Cordero
    RP D. Weathers
    RP J. Burton
    RP J. Affeldt
    RP E. Volquez
    RP T. Coffey
    RP J. Coutlangus (only because he is the best of the rest of the left-handers)
    RP M. Belisle (odd man out of rotation, long reliever to start the year)

Position players (12)
    C J. Valentin*
    C P. Bako
    1B J. Votto*
    1B S. Hatteberg
    2B B. Phillips*
    SS J. Keppinger*
    3B E. Encarnacion*
    RF K. Griffey, Jr.*
    CF J. Bruce*
    LF A. Dunn*
    CF N. Hopper
    CF/Utility R. Freel (if not traded)

*starters

DL
    C D. Ross
    RP B. Bray
    SS A. Gonzalez

Send Down to Minors
    RP G. Majewski (if he has options left)
    RP M. McBeth
    CF D. Anderson (if he can clear waivers)

Release
    RP M. Stanton
    RP S. Valenzuela (sent back to Atlanta Braves)
    SS J. Castro

Again this is just my opinion. Let me know what you think.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    got alil captain in u?

Re: Reds 25-man Roster on March 31??

i like some of your ideas but i duno why they'd sign patterson and him not make the roster. He's yet to play a game yet so let's not pass judgement so far. Another one of my sleeper picks would be Jolbert Cabrera he has played very well so far this spring and could replace castro. I disagree with you coutlangus he's looked terrible this spring.

Belisle will be in the rotation to start the year i think he deserves this shot with some of his performance from last year. (at least he has experience along with potential) he would have to get rocked the majority of the time out in my eyes to not get this shot
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

I would switch Fogg and Belisle. Though Fogg has done well so far, he doesn't have any potential. Belisle did bad last year, but he's got the stuff to be a good pitcher in this league. Fogg on the other hand will never be more than a #4 pitcher.

I don't see Volquez in the bullpen. I thought that they may use one of the youngsters as a long relief man, but it's looking more like it's going to be Belisle, Affeldt, or Fogg. I don't see all three making the rotation, and they didn't give Affeldt and Fogg all that money to release them, or send them to the minors.

For some reason, I still hold hope that Valenzuela will be kept in the organization. I think that the Reds will send the Braves some cash, or a PTBNL. Obviously they got him for a reason. You don't pluck somebody out of A ball for nothing. Maybe the scouts found something in this kid.

My other tidbits:
    I don't see Stanton getting released till midseason. I think the Reds will give him all the shots they can to regain his old form. I still don't see that happening. He'll be gone by August though.

I think Castro will start the year on the DL. I don't think he's fully recovered from his arm injury, and the Reds may wait until he's 100% to put him on the active roster.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I agree with most of your roster, but I would sent coutlangus to AAA and keep Majewski in the majors. Also, I think that Mr. Baker is going to have Belisle start out in the rotation instead of Fogg. However, I do think that before the all star break, Fogg will have taken Belisle spot in the rotation.
    3-2 at games this year
    5-9 all time

2010 central division champions

If Coutlangus, Stanton, or another lefty are still not pitching well in a few weeks, can the Reds survive with just one lefty on their pitching staff. I just don't see that happening. But I could be wrong.

I don't see how Brad Salmon can be left off the 25 man roster.

Coutlangus has done nothing to earn a spot, yet it's early. Reading stats, or for that matter listening to the radio are so weak as to determining who's got what. You need to see the players in action. That said, I will be down to "WATCH" them in action starting the 14th. That is when everybody starts getting serious ready for the season. We shall see in the next 2-3 weeks who belongs and who is an imposter. I will say from this short limited time to scope the team, if Baker goes with Vets just because that's what they are in lieu of good performance from young talent, I will be extremely dissappointed. Mark Shelton said it best, "Dusty says he looks for the young talent, yet all his actions say he prefers Veterans". To which I say, Can't keep 'em on the farm forever Dusty...............

All I can say is it will very interesting who comes out with the big club. It may tell us a little more about the way this year is being approached too.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I don't see how Brad Salmon can be left off the 25 man roster.
    How? Salmon has talent, but it's going to be extremly hard for him to make the team. Honestly, I don't see how Salmon makes the team out of camp. It's going to take a very strong showing for him to even be considered. I think he'll end up being called up midseason. For his sake I hope he performs well enough to stay.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by adampad View Post
    All I can say is it will very interesting who comes out with the big club. It may tell us a little more about the way this year is being approached too.
    Well put. It will also tell us if Baker is obsessed with Vets, or is he willing to see how some of the youngins' can do given the vote of confidence of being selected to come North.

I mostly agree. I believe Volquez will make the rotation and Bailey may start in AAA. I think Bray should be recovered by then and pairing with Affeldt as the primary BP LHPs. I also definitely believe Bako will be the starting C over Valentin. The Reds will likely already be sacrificing some defense at SS and would want the best defensive catcher, IMO. By all accounts Bako is top notch defensively and at game-calling and handling.

Therefore I would predict at this point (changes are in bold):

Pitchers (13)
    SP A. Harang
    SP B. Arroyo
    SP E. Volquez
    SP J. Cueto
    SP J. Fogg

RP F. Cordero
    RP D. Weathers
    RP J. Burton
    RP J. Affeldt
    RP B. Salmon
    RP J. Roenicke
    RP B. Bray

RP M. Belisle (although he may turn it around and switch with one of the final 3 starters)

Position players (12)
    C J. Valentin
    C P. Bako*1B J. Votto*
    1B S. Hatteberg (I believe he will be traded-replace with a young SS/INF)
    2B B. Phillips*
    SS J. Keppinger*
    3B E. Encarnacion*
    RF K. Griffey, Jr.*
    CF J. Bruce* (may go to AAA if he cools off)
    LF A. Dunn*
    CF C. Patterson (may start if Bruce doesn't keep it up)
    CF/Utility R. Freel (I believe he will be traded-replace with Hopper)

*starters

DL
    C D. Ross
    SS A. Gonzalez

Send Down to Minors
    RP G. Majewski
    RP M. McBeth
    CF D. Anderson
    SP H. Bailey
    RP S. Valenzuela (negotiation with Braves)

Release
    RP M. Stanton
    SS J. Castro
    Pathei mathos...

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    How? Salmon has talent, but it's going to be extremly hard for him to make the team. Honestly, I don't see how Salmon makes the team out of camp. It's going to take a very strong showing for him to even be considered. I think he'll end up being called up midseason. For his sake I hope he performs well enough to stay.
    He was one of the best relievers last year, and he has been impressive so far this year in spring training. If there really are 13 pitchers to break camp, there is no reason why he should not go north ahead of the rest of the competition.

The competition to make the bullpen will be awfully intense and it is possible he could start the year in Louisville.He has done very well against major league competition, so I expect he would make it back to Cincinnati a lot sooner than midseason.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 03-09-2008 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    He was one of the best relievers last year, and he has been impressive so far this year in spring training. If there really are 13 pitchers to break camp, there is no reason why he should not go north ahead of the rest of the competition.

The competition to make the bullpen will be awfully intense and it is possible he could start the year in Louisville.He has done very well against major league competition, so I expect he would make it back to Cincinnati a lot sooner than midseason.
    I really hope you're right, I just don't see it happening. He throws hard, which was something we didn't have last year. This year that's not going to be as hard to find. He put up a 4.13 era, so that's certainly respectable. Hopefully more players like him will make the likes of Stanton and Coffey expendable.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by isaiahbarney View Post
    I mostly agree. I believe Volquez will make the rotation and Bailey may start in AAA. I think Bray should be recovered by then and pairing with Affeldt as the primary BP LHPs. I also definitely believe Bako will be the starting C over Valentin. The Reds will likely already be sacrificing some defense at SS and would want the best defensive catcher, IMO. By all accounts Bako is top notch defensively and at game-calling and handling.

Therefore I would predict at this point (changes are in bold):

Pitchers (13)
    SP A. Harang
    SP B. Arroyo
    SP E. Volquez
    SP J. Cueto
    SP J. Fogg

RP F. Cordero
    RP D. Weathers
    RP J. Burton
    RP J. Affeldt
    RP B. Salmon
    RP J. Roenicke
    RP B. Bray

RP M. Belisle (although he may turn it around and switch with one of the final 3 starters)

Position players (12)
    C J. Valentin
    C P. Bako*1B J. Votto*
    1B S. Hatteberg (I believe he will be traded-replace with a young SS/INF)
    2B B. Phillips*
    SS J. Keppinger*
    3B E. Encarnacion*
    RF K. Griffey, Jr.*
    CF J. Bruce* (may go to AAA if he cools off)
    LF A. Dunn*
    CF C. Patterson (may start if Bruce doesn't keep it up)
    CF/Utility R. Freel (I believe he will be traded-replace with Hopper)

*starters

DL
    C D. Ross
    SS A. Gonzalez

Send Down to Minors
    RP G. Majewski
    RP M. McBeth
    CF D. Anderson
    SP H. Bailey
    RP S. Valenzuela (negotiation with Braves)

Release
    RP M. Stanton
    SS J. Castro
    A very good list. We can all have faith that Dusty will decide to come north with this group, but we will see. I would imagine Cueto would need to continue to have a strong showing in spring training to make the rotation. I am not sure the Braves would be willing to negotiate with the Reds about Valenzuela, especially since they would get him back if he is not on the roster the whole year(barring injury). The Reds also have shown no inclination that they intend to release either Stanton or Castro, but it is certainly possible.

Turn Off Ads?