Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 3:10 to Yuma

Re: 3:10 to Yuma

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    My top 10 is: (Put in order of what I would watch 1st if they were all on at the same time)

Lonesome Dove
    Tombstone
    Return to Lonesome Dove
    Young Guns
    The Sons of Katie Elder
    Dances with Wolves (I count it)
    Unforgiven
    3:10 to Yuma
    The Magnificent Seven
    Wyatt Earp
    The Quick and the Dead *Edit* (#10 is changed to Open Range)

My only obvious thumbs down is:
    The Wild Bunch - Had to turn it off about 1/4 of the way through!

Special Mention to:
    Anything w/ Eastwood, Wayne, Duvall, Costner & Sam Elliott in it.
    Being a huge fan of westerns, I don't think I could name my Top 10 westerns. I'd discover I had left something out.

Some of my favorites, besides what you have mentioned above.....

The Westerner (Gary Cooper and Walter Brennan)
    My Darling Clementine (Henry Fonda)
    High Noon (simply a classic)
    Santa Fe Trail (Errol Flynn)
    Winchester 73
    Gun Fight At OK Corral
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

When it comes to John Wayne and Clint Eastwood westerns - I love them all. I've come close to having them all in my collection; but if they're on TV I'll still watch them. But IMO, you can't beat a John Ford or Howard Hawk western.

Some of my favorites though....

The Searchers (just bought it in Hi-Def)
    Chisum (classic Wayne)
    While I liked True Grit, I really enjoyed the sequel Rooster Cogburn with Hepburn. What a duo.

The Sergio Leone trilogy was excellent. But one of my favorite of Eastwood's is The Outlaw Josie Wales.

Sam Peckinpah's Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid is also good. I didn't really care much for The Wild Bunch w/ William Holden.

Over this past year I've been making the effort to try and find/collect the old 50's/60's TV western series I grew up enjoying. Shows like Cheyenne, Sugar Foot, Bronco, Have Gun Will Travel, and others.

Thank God for the Encore Western channel. I watch it religiously.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-16-2008 at 09:14 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Being a huge fan of westerns, I don't think I could name my Top 10 westerns. I'd discover I had left something out.
    Some of my favorites, besides what you have mentioned above.....

The Westerner (Gary Cooper and Walter Brennan)
    My Darling Clementine (Henry Fonda)
    High Noon (simply a classic)
    Santa Fe Trail (Errol Flynn)
    Winchester 73
    Gun Fight At OK Corral
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

When it comes to John Wayne and Clint Eastwood westerns - I love them all. I've come close to having them all in my collection; but if they're on TV I'll still watch them. But IMO, you can't beat a John Ford or Howard Hawk western.

Some of my favorites though....

The Searchers (just bought it in Hi-Def)
    Chisum (classic Wayne)
    While I liked True Grit, I really enjoyed the sequel Rooster Cogburn with Hepburn. What a duo.

The Sergio Leone trilogy was excellent. But one of my favorite of Eastwood's is The Outlaw Josie Wales.

Sam Peckinpah's Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid is also good. I didn't really care much for The Wild Bunch w/ William Holden.

Over this past year I've been making the effort to try and find/collect the old 50's/60's TV western series I grew up enjoying. Shows like Cheyenne, Sugar Foot, Bronco, Have Gun Will Travel, and others.

Thank God for the Encore Western channel. I watch it religiously.
    No question, no sooner than I filled out that top 10 (mostly off the top of my head) I started thinking about more. Butch and Sundance was one I forgot about until you mentioned. Rooster Cogburn was very good.

Terence Hill/Bud Spencer movies (The Trinity Coll./Boot Hill/My name is nobody) was/is also one that's a bit obscure that I really get a kick out of watching.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 01-16-2008 at 10:52 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Terence Hill/Bud Spencer movies (The Trinity Coll./Boot Hill/My name is nobody) was/is also one that's a bit obscure that I really get a kick out of watching.
    I bought the entire DVD set awhile back. Boot Hill sucked; but My Name is Nobody with Henry Fonda is excellent.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I bought the entire DVD set awhile back. Boot Hill sucked; but My Name is Nobody with Henry Fonda is excellent.
    They call me Trinity is the only one I have. But have seen one of the others as well of course it's been so long I forget nearly all of it, It may have been Boot Hill. My Dad told me about My Name is Nobody, said I would enjoy it.

Terence Hill is a very entertaining character.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

My Dad told me about My Name is Nobody, said I would enjoy it.

Terence Hill is a very entertaining character.
    If you've never seen that one, and you enjoy the Terence Hill character, then that one is right up your alley. Fonda plays an aging gunfighter who is retired and ready to disappear before some young upstart does him in. Hill's character, who idolizes him, opposes that and wants him to go out in a blaze of glory to secure his name by facing off against the Wild Bunch, which Hill sets up. A solid movie with a surprise ending. Nuff said.

If you've never seen that one, and you enjoy the Terence Hill character, then that one is right up your alley. Fonda plays an aging gunfighter who is retired and ready to disappear before some young upstart does him in. Hill's character, who idolizes him, opposes that and wants him to go out in a blaze of glory to secure his name by facing off against the Wild Bunch, which Hill sets up. A solid movie with a surprise ending. Nuff said.
    Good deal, I will be sure to pick it up!

--Woody Hayes

First time I've been to this part of the site. I loved this thread, thanks everyone. Also a great Western fan and haven't seen 3:10 yet but reading the thread didn't faze me - I really enjoy reading a book then seeing the movie rather than vice versa.

One Western genre that didn't take place in the West that I really liked was Tom Selleck's Quigley Down Under. Still love watching High Noon the original, and the original Shane, too. As a kid I was fascinated by mountain men so Jeremiah Johnson is a favorite. And another Aussie "western" I love "Return to Snowy River". That wild ride down the mountain is just incredible if you're a horse lover. The sequel was disappointing though.

I just watched Jeremiah Johnson a couple weeks ago. It should be added top anyone's collection.

Another movie I hadn't seen in years and found it on DVD was Little Big Man with Dustin Hoffman. I loved Richard Mulligan's Custer portrayal!

BTW, if we're talking about great Westerns, "No Country for Old Men" qualifies, IMHO.

It's not set in the Old West, but it incorporates all of the best elements of the Western genre. It's a "New Western", loosely disguised as a semi-modern film and it's brilliant. I've seen so many films that I long to see things I haven't seen before. I'm not often surprised, and I'm very seldom actually intimidated by the bad guy. This film gave me all of that.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

My wife and I saw 3:10 Monday night. It's one of the best movies I've seen in years. With 2 young children, we have to wait for the DVD to come out, but it was well worth the wait. When Crowe told the story of sitting outside the train station for 3 days waiting on his mother, I almost teared up.

I was a little disappointed in the ending. If I was writing the ending, I would of had the son killing the guy who killed his father, and when the other bad guys turned their guns on the son, Crowe would of killed them, showing (to the son) that he did have some good in him after all. Remember, the son did not know that Crowe went to the train station willingly. Crowe would of saved the sons life. I also thought that whistling for his horse was a little "cheesie" and light hearted after such a dramatic scene.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

I just watched this again. It's such a great movie. If you haven't seen it yet, go ahead and buy it, forget about renting.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Yep.

Best movies I've seen in past 365 days:

3:10 to Yuma
    No Country for Old Men
    There Will be Blood
    Into the Wild
    August Rush
    Batman Begins (had never seen it)
    Batman - The Dark Knight

Glad I stumbled across this. "GAC and Steele" just doesn't quite have the same ring as "Siskel and Ebert", but great analysis none-the-less.

I ordered it on Netflix this spring, only to get the original version.

While I'm kinda disappointed I did (I thought I knew the ending, and it was much different), it was very good to compare and contrast.

I would highly recommend anyone to check it out. Glenn Ford as Ben Wade was great...although nowhere near Russell Crowe's effort.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Glad I stumbled across this. "GAC and Steele" just doesn't quite have the same ring as "Siskel and Ebert", but great analysis none-the-less.

I ordered it on Netflix this spring, only to get the original version.

While I'm kinda disappointed I did (I thought I knew the ending, and it was much different), it was very good to compare and contrast.

I would highly recommend anyone to check it out. Glenn Ford as Ben Wade was great...although nowhere near Russell Crowe's effort.
    I liked the original one. Hated the ending though.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I liked the original one. Hated the ending though.

are there 2 endings? What is the 2nd version? Tell Me!
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Turn Off Ads?