Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We need to look at a RB in round 2

We need to look at a RB in round 2

If for nothing else our Kick off return team needs someone back there as a threat and I think this year you can get a decent running back in round 2. We've got questions galore with the backs we got on the team right now. I like Watson but he's a backup, Dorsey's fumbles make you worry a little, Rudi even if he gets those legs together is on downhill side. Here's some guys that should be sitting there at round 2 and theyre all very very good.

Felix Jones, Arkansas

Height/Weight: 5'10/207
    College Experience: Third-year junior
    Combine Results: 4.47 forty, 8 X 225 lbs, 33" vertical, 10.4' broad jump, 4.19 short shuttle
    Comparison: Laurence Maroney
    Draft Projection: Late first to early second round
    2007 Statistics: 133-1162-8.7-11 Tds, 16-176-11.0-0 Tds

Positives: Jones is a highly elusive outside runner. He scored four times in three years as a kickoff returner and averaged 31.3 yards per KR as a junior. Having playing behind Darren McFadden since 2005, Jones' legs are fresh. He makes one cut and gets vertical in a hurry. Jones flashed soft hands, good route running, and homerun ability after the catch at Arkansas.

Negatives: Jones is inexperienced as an every-down back and is not developed physically. He is small and could be run over by blitzing linebackers and strong safeties in the pros. Jones is a gambler and can be streaky as a ball carrier.

Verdict: Jones measured in at the Combine two inches shorter than his college listing. While there's little means to guage how he might fare as a future starter, his lack of an ideal build to fill out is discouraging. It's not out of the question that he will be something more, but the odds favor Jones having a career as a complementary piece, not a lead back.

Chris Johnson, East Carolina

Height/Weight: 5'11/197
    College Experience: Fourth-year senior
    Combine Results: 4.24 forty, 35" vertical, 10.1' broad jump
    Comparison: Leon Washington
    Draft Projection: Late second to mid-third round
    2007 Statistics: 236-1423-6.0-17 Tds, 37-528-14.3-6 Tds

Positives/Negatives: From a straight-line standpoint, Johnson may be the fastest player in the NFL as a rookie. The four-year starter was used often as a slot receiver at ECU and catches the ball exceptionally well downfield. Few, if any, NFL defenders will tackle him from behind. A game breaking kick returner, Johnson led the nation in all-purpose yards per game as a senior (227.7). However, he had neck surgery in spring 2006 and missed a start that year with turf toe. He lacks good strength and is not an inside runner. Johnson is considered poor in pass protection and put the ball on the ground too much in college.

Verdict: He has a stringbean frame and isn't as elusive as Reggie Bush, who's failed as an every-down back in the pros. Johnson can be used in a number of ways, which increases his value, but is unlikely to ever be a full-time starter. Durability is a big concern. Johnson can be an explosive weapon, but his lack of ideal size and strength makes him no more than a change-of-pace/return prospect.

Jamaal Charles, Texas

Height/Weight: 5'11/200
    College Experience: Third-year junior
    Combine Results: 4.38 forty, 30" vertical, 4.22 short shuttle
    Comparison: Jerious Norwood
    Draft Projection: Late second to mid-third round
    2007 Statistics: 258-1619-6.3-18 Tds, 17-199-11.7-0 Tds

Positives/Negatives: Charles can be a dancer behind the line of scrimmage, especially in short-yardage situations. He had fumbling issues throughout his Longhorns career and they cost him a chance to start in 2006. Charles has elite, galloping speed and burst, but isn't a punisher. His lean frame and high running style can leave Charles susceptible to big hits. He was an All Academic Big 12 honoree, so intelligence isn't an issue.

Verdict: Charles gave up track and improved markedly as a junior, but there are question marks about his ball security, size, and staying power in the NFL after an up-and-down college career. Somewhat like Chris Henry in 2007, Charles appears to be a boom-or-bust prospect that may never see the field consistently if he puts the ball on the ground in practice as a pro

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: We need to look at a RB in round 2

No. No. No.

I think the RB's you mentioned are good, but not good enough to justify ignoring the other holes on the team.

I really hope the Bengals don't waste another early pick on a RB. They have more pressing needs: DL, LB, OL, TE, etc. They have plenty of RB's, especially if Perry or Irons comes back healthy. Average RB's are a dime a dozen. The Bengals will be able to get one later in the draft or from someone else's trash. They've proven time and time again that don't know what they're doing drafting RB's early. Carter got hurt, but was extremely soft. Perry was a luxury pick that was wasted. Last year, they needed someone on defense instead of Irons. Build up the trenches so anyone could be the RB.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Get McFadden first round and Jones 2nd round.

Hey, at least our offense will be exciting!

But, really..if we sign McCree, a LB and another D-lineman or 2 AND McFadden is on the board in the first round, I TAKE IT. The kid is better than Adrian Peterson imo.

Round 2? I'll go further than that, and say that if Ellis and Dorsey are both gone by our round 1 pick, I'd seriously consider taking Mendenhall. Especially if we can trade down a few picks and still get him.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    But, really..if we sign McCree, a LB and another D-lineman or 2 AND McFadden is on the board in the first round, I TAKE IT. The kid is better than Adrian Peterson imo.
    McCree signed with the Broncos yesterday.

I'd go for defense in the first two rounds, and look for a tight end in the third. After that it would be a tossup. I'd love to get more defense, but we also need more offensive linemen too.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D

That is all.
    no need to reach for draft picks, after the 2 best DLs go to me all bets are off the table. I say second round because after that round you may as well wait till the fourth or fifth round and just grab who's there. Second round you get real value with the backs that are there.

If Fred Davis, TE USC, is there in the second round I give him a long look, otherwise it is all defense in the first three rounds.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    If Fred Davis, TE USC, is there in the second round I give him a long look, otherwise it is all defense in the first three rounds.
    Yeah that would be nice. But you have to put yourself in the mind of the Bengals - they always go for their value/high ceiling skill position pick in Rd 2. It won't be a CB this year at least. And this franchise never seems to draft TE's before the 3rd round - ever. (although I think they need to start doing that as well as drafting more interior 0-lineman on day one).

Think RB, WR, LB or FS in the 2nd.

If I were the Bengals, here's how I would try to draft:
    1st Round: defensive tackle (or defensive end if Dorsey and Ellis are gone)
    2nd Round: linebacker (would you really count on Brooks, Thurman, and/or Pollack to perform at a high level for an entire year?)
    3rd Round: wide receiver (Chad and T.J. aren't getting any younger, and the third receiver is Chris Henry)
    4th Round: center or offensive tackle (offensive line depth is needed)
    5th Round: cornerback (the current lineup is Leon Hall, Johnathan Joseph, and pray it's a running play)
    6th Round: tight end (the need for a pass-catching tight end is exaggerated every year and could probably be addressed in free agency, but if not, there's probably someone worth taking a flyer on)
    7th Round: a 'project' on the offensive or defensive line; someone with a big, athletic body who has yet to have shown what he can do with more advanced coaching

Boy, I don't know...Watson isn't really starter material, Perry and Irons are injury concerns, and Dorsey's more of a third-down guy. If you don't get a running back pretty early, you're pretty much betting your season on Rudi Johnson, a guy who has taken a lot of pounding the last few years and sure looked worn out last year.

With Odom, Geathers and Faanene on the roster, why reach for a DE in round 1? If the DT isn't there, I'd think about taking a LB, and I'd also think about Mendenhall. He'd change the whole offense.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

I like the idea of the Bengals taking a LB in the first round, but I'd prefer to see them trade down and pick up an extra pick to do so.

you really want Mike Brown making a trade that works out after the success we're having in free agency? I dont know if he can pull it off correctly.

If Dorsey and Ellis are gone by the 9th pick, I really think the Bengals just need to go to the best player available theory.

If Keith Rivers is your BPA then, then take him. If it's Mendenhall, take him. If it's McKelvin or Mike Davis then take one of them.

I just don't think the Bengals should reach at #9 and take Derrick Harvey just because they think they have to pick a D line.

Turn Off Ads?