Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Reds trade LHP Jeremy Horst to Phillies for infielder Wilson Valdez

Re: Reds trade LHP Jeremy Horst to Phillies for infielder Wilson Valdez

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    If you cannot get how that is just the wrong thing to do, then I guess you just don't get it. I am glad you think it's funny though.
    Actually, it's not that I don't get IT, it's that I disagree with you. The scouts and GM who know this club inside and out saw zero future for Horst and somehow got something for him that could be useful or more useful than what they have. I am enjoying the rants however. I thought you saved these types of rants just for Drew Stubbs!

Bum

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Actually, it's not that I don't get IT, it's that I disagree with you. The scouts and GM who know this club inside and out saw zero future for Horst and somehow got something for him that could be useful or more useful than what they have. I am enjoying the rants however. I thought you saved these types of rants just for Drew Stubbs!

Bum
    Actually, I like Stubbs now.

Remember, these were the same scouts and GM that thought Willy Taveras was worth a 2 year deal.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Remember, these were the same scouts and GM that thought Willy Taveras was worth a 2 year deal.
    Yeah, well, I doubt Valdez can do that kind of damage...I think Jockety is doing a fine job. Looking forward to this year with more optimism than any year I can remember in a long time.

As to Stubbs, I know, just ribbing you a bit. He's my favorite player on the Reds. Yeah, I know he has flaws.

Bum

I think Jocketty has done a fine job... this year. I think he coasted last offseason. I think the Ludwick signing was a mistake, especially since Canzler only cost cash. But I prefer youth to aging vets that are really one year wonders.

And I think we'll see Valdez far more than anyone wants to.

I'm optimistic for this season. Walt addressed exactly what I wanted him to. Offense had it's black holes, but most of that is fixed in house, and with a little health. Pitching was the problem. Now it isn't.

But just because I like most of his moves doesn't mean I can't disagree with him when he is wrong. I disagreed, vehemently, on Taveras, and I think he weakened the depth in the bullpen with this trade. It's a bad trade.

It's a bad trade.
    In your opinion. And only time will tell if you're right.

true.

i am right though.

Considering Valdez has actually had a WORSE season than Janish last year.
    By what measure?
    Last year.

Valdez OPSed 634
    Janish 521

If Janish was a gold glove SS, maybe that makes up for 110 points of OPS, but Janish is way overrated defensively.

Janish's bat is so awful that even if he was a true gold glove SS, he'd have limited value. Janish is Rafeal Belliard without the glove.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Scouting is an inexact art and science. I know, I know, everyone except Jocketty and Jamie Quirk knew that Taveras was a dud.

It is ironic that you mention how the scouts missed one in the same post that you missed it on Stubbs.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    No kidding. There are lots of threads that others post in that I can't imagine why anyone cares, but I don't make it my mission to mock people for talking about it.

If a topic doesn't interest some one, they should merely move on and let the others discuss the topic that they wish to discuss.

This team is almost set. Janish vs. Valdez vs. Frazier vs. Valaika vs. Harris is probably one of the bigger decisions that the team will be making in Spring Training. Seems fairly topical IMO.
    Holy moly Batman. Talk about taking a light hearted comment and making it something more than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    By what measure?
    Last year.

Valdez OPSed 634
    Janish 521

If Janish was a gold glove SS, maybe that makes up for 110 points of OPS, but Janish is way overrated defensively.

Janish's bat is so awful that even if he was a true gold glove SS, he'd have limited value. Janish is Rafeal Belliard without the glove.
    I worded that poorly. I meant he's had a worse season in his career than Janish's last season.
    Last edited by TRF; 01-31-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Scouting is an inexact art and science. I know, I know, everyone except Jocketty and Jamie Quirk knew that Taveras was a dud.

It is ironic that you mention how the scouts missed one in the same post that you missed it on Stubbs.
    thppt.

What I came to see about Stubbs was the Reds development team got him all wrong. They still have him wrong. He ain't a leadoff hitter.

I worded that poorly. I meant he's had a worse season in his career than Janish's last season.
    Ok, fair point. Valdez might suck badly next year, I agree with that.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

It's that Bill Bray has a history of injuries that cause him to miss significant amounts of time. It's that Marshall is not a LOOGY. So if Bray goes down... Who do the Reds have as a LH reliever?

No One. Only Chapman, Bray and Marshall are LH. Chapman is a starter right now. There are no LH's on this tree you say they grow on.

So, did the Reds trade from depth here? no. Had it been Jordan Smith or Carlos Fisher, THOSE guys grow on trees.
    Clay Zavada, Ron Mahay and Donnie Joseph say hello!!!
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Ok, fair point. Valdez might suck badly next year, I agree with that.
    hmm.

It really isn't might. BOTH players will LIKELY suck badly next year. BOTH players are.. well, bad.

I do not understand why you trade from a weakness, LH relief pitching for an area in which you have depth, MI. 9 MI's on the 40 man roster. And now we have 10.

Cozart
    Phillips
    Janish
    Valaika
    Frazier
    Cairo (well, kinda)
    Gregorious
    Negron
    Rodriguez

thppt.

What I came to see about Stubbs was the Reds development team got him all wrong. They still have him wrong. He ain't a leadoff hitter.
    I don't think they want him there anymore than you or I do. Ideally, you bat him 6-7 and let him chase flyballs.

But, since they have used a cast of thousands and probably haven't had a legit leadoff hitter since Bip Roberts, which this is the 20th anniversary of his tenure, he gets the short straw occasionally. Heck, I'm replaying the 2010 season in Strat and get reminded that OCab was used there quite a bit that season. Maybe its the curse of Pete put on by Faye Vincent?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?