Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gammons says Upton in mix if Gregorius is

Re: Gammons says Upton in mix if Gregorius is

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    I'm not sure how believable this report is. It would be hard to understand why Gregorious is valued that high with questions about his bat.
    I don't know how reliable the report is but there's more to it than the on field capabilities of these players. Money is a huge factor. How badly do the D-Backs want to shed Upton's contract and how many suitors are there to take on that kind of obligation? Unfortunately this, like most hot stove talk on RZ, comes down to money and our Reds are one of the have nots. We likely can't afford a $14 mill LF. 90% of the discussions around here boil down to not enough money for the Reds to acquire (Josh Hamilton, David Wright...)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Seems like Gammons is having some difficulty typing on his smart phone. I feel his pain.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I think it's code for the Reds win the World Series in 2013. On second hand I hope that's not what it means.

Didn't Mdngkac play for the Twins?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't know how reliable the report is but there's more to it than the on field capabilities of these players. Money is a huge factor. How badly do the D-Backs want to shed Upton's contract and how many suitors are there to take on that kind of obligation? Unfortunately this, like most hot stove talk on RZ, comes down to money and our Reds are one of the have nots. We likely can't afford a $14 mill LF. 90% of the discussions around here boil down to not enough money for the Reds to acquire (Josh Hamilton, David Wright...)
    While I understand the Reds are one of the small market ball clubs in MLB, I think their revenue is trending in the right direction. Combine that with the fact that after the 2013 season Bronson Arroyo's 12,000,000 contract comes off the books. So they could rewrite Upton's contract to defer some of the money for 2013 I think they could make it work. Also at that point hopefully a guy like Corcino will hopefully be ready to fill in the starting rotation and would be a cheap replacement to Arroyo.
    Last edited by SidneySlicker; 12-04-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Didn't Mdngkac play for the Twins?
    Man, do I miss the rep button. Awesome post.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Upton might very well get a rather strong "GAB effect" boost. Not only would he leave Az but he' d lose several games in SD and LA too while gaining games in Chi and PNC. Plus he gets out of the glare of being "the guy" with ultra expectations. Here he has Joey andBP plus an exciting rookie coming on to lessen the spotlight. I'd love to nab him but I had this in the Bourn too much money bin. If it did happen - wow! Cast really is all in...

-The Insider-

I would easily do Leake/Bailey, Did and Cingrani without thinking twice about it.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Upton is only 24 years old, isn't he? Seems his best years SHOULD be ahead of him.

I'd have someone spread the rumor that the Reds/DBacks are close to a deal of Gregorius/Leake for Upton, and see if the Rockies call the Reds back and lower their demands for Fowler.

Did Gammons just have a stroke?

Should we call someone to make sure he is alright?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Upton is only 24 years old, isn't he? Seems his best years SHOULD be ahead of him.

I'd have someone spread the rumor that the Reds/DBacks are close to a deal of Gregorius/Leake for Upton, and see if the Rockies call the Reds back and lower their demands for Fowler.
    I think you're going to have to offer more than Gregorius and Leake for Upton. You might think highly of those prospects but the kind of prospects other clubs are potentially offering, the Reds will have to throw in more.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Did Gammons just have a stroke?

Should we call someone to make sure he is alright?
    Maybe it's code for something. Lets see if I can translate it:

Midnight in Detroit is Not Good for Kicking A Can

possibly...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I was sort of thinking the same thing. What prospect in baseball's trade value is comparable with Profar. Heck, Oscar Taveras might be the best pure hitting prospect in the minors right now but I would still take Profar even over my man crush for Taveras.
    I don't think it is comparable, but it will get the conversation started. A lot of teams see Gregorius as a starting shortstop. That is what they need. The difference is, Profar gets the deal done by himself. Gregorius starts the talks and the teams work from there on the other parts.

Madness! Dusty now gets Kutch at center.

Obviously, Jocketty has dealt for Andrew McCutchen to play center.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't think it is comparable, but it will get the conversation started. A lot of teams see Gregorius as a starting shortstop. That is what they need. The difference is, Profar gets the deal done by himself. Gregorius starts the talks and the teams work from there on the other parts.
    Fair enough but I still think that it's going to take more than Gregorius and Leake to get Upton. I'm not even seeing Gregorius on the top 100 list of prospects on the MLB Network. I might get flak for this but I think this is a stuation where posters on here value him more than what other teams value him for.

Turn Off Ads?