Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Probably not. They've still got Hall, I'll assume they're still high on the potential of Kirkpatrick, Newman said he wants to come back, perhaps Pacman as well, don't know if Allen is under contract for next season or not.

Reevis is expensive, coming off injury, will potentially cost a 2nd round pick or more, and will be a free agent at seasons' end or be demanding a ton to be resigned and has a history of trying to re-do his contract every few years. A lot to give up for an area that is not a huge need, for a guy that may or may not be as good coming back from injury next season.

The bengals have the chance to add 3 solid young players who they can control for the next 4 seasons and several areas that need to be addressed (interior offensive line, line backer, safty, WR, RB) assuming they resign their own this offseason.
    I see your point, but Revis is the best CB in the NFL, or has been at least. I understand there was an injury, but the ACL doesn't scare me. Look at Adrian Peterson. I think Revis will be ok.

The contract status and all that only hurts the Jets bargaining power. We don't necessarily need to resign him. But a shutdown corner changes things, no matter how good our corners might be presently. Players like Revis can go a long way towards a championship run.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Why no Barrett Jones (C, Alabama) on those lists?
    Because with Robinson making the All-Rookie team at C, I think the Bengals have bigger fish to fry with their first three picks (ie LB, SS, WR, and RB)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't see Jones being there at 21. I have seen LSU DE's at 21 which I am not too fond of. They need a S or LB in that spot. I wouldn't mind Teo but I think he may be similar to Maualuga in an overhyped poster child for college football. If those guys are there I am taking Vaccaro.

Round 2 I would look for RB, WR, or LB/S if you don't address that with 21.

As for TE I like the guy from UC, Kelce. I think he could be a new hybrid TE similar to Hernandez in NE.
    Agree on all fronts. I'd probably take Vaccaro over Teo as well. I doubt Jones will be there at 21. And I'd take Kelce in the 3rd or 4th round if he's there. I'm not sold on Gresham, and the Bengals have missed every good player to come out of UC in the last 5 years (ie T.Cole, C.Barwin, B.Celek, D.Wolfe, M.Wright, the Eagles center, et al) but have managed to give roster spots to the busts like Armon Binns.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agree on all fronts. I'd probably take Vaccaro over Teo as well. I doubt Jones will be there at 21. And I'd take Kelce in the 3rd or 4th round if he's there. I'm not sold on Gresham, and the Bengals have missed every good player to come out of UC in the last 5 years (ie T.Cole, C.Barwin, B.Celek, D.Wolfe, M.Wright, the Eagles center, et al) but have managed to give roster spots to the busts like Armon Binns.
    You're not a fan of Kevin Huber?

I don't really blame the Bengals from missing on UC talent. It happens and its not exactly like UC is a hidden program with a few hidden gems. It does appear like the Eagles like the Bearcats quite a bit huh?

As for the draft I think what will be telling is what happens to Michael Johnson, Andre Smith, and Rey Maualuga. I think Smith must be retained. The NFL is an offensive league and I think Smith is an above average RT. I would like to have Johnson back, on an extension, not a franchise. Maualuga I don't exactly want back but I don't know what the Bengals think. The TE's are becoming an important part of the passing game and Maualuga doesn't defend the TE's well at all.

If you assume Johnson and Smith are back then the need goes directly to LB, S, RB, WR. If Johnson/Smith aren't retained then you have to put RT and DE in the mix. I like how the Bengals have been able to stockpile defensive lineman and want to see that continue.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Bengals try to trade down in this draft. With 3 picks in the first two rounds they have flexibility, you can use that flexibility to set yourself up for drafts to come, a la the Pats.

How is Armon Binns a bust? He was an undrafted free agent that made the roster via the practice squad. They got 200 some receiving yards out of the guy as cheaply as possible. IMHO, the guy isn't a bust; he has overachieved as an undrafted free agent.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Because with Robinson making the All-Rookie team at C, I think the Bengals have bigger fish to fry with their first three picks (ie LB, SS, WR, and RB)

I understand your thinking there and I don't totally disagree with you as they do have big fish to fry. My problem is we're dealing with the Bengals here and as we saw, they put Cook into the lineup late in the year even though he hadn't earned it by outplaying Robinson. It'd be like the Pats putting Bledsoe back in after Brady showed his thing or this year with the 49ers and Smith/Kaepernick. In other words, if the Bengals are going to keep Cook at C and we continue to see collapsing pockets like we saw in 2011/12, then I'd argue that C is a priority, ahead of RB and WR to be sure. Just look at what Pouncey did for the Steelers O-line. I'm not a big fan of RBs in the first rd in this day and age, unless it's a Peterson or a Richardson. As for WR, they rarely contribute much as a rookie and we do have Sanu and Jones coming back.

I understand your thinking there and I don't totally disagree with you as they do have big fish to fry. My problem is we're dealing with the Bengals here and as we saw, they put Cook into the lineup late in the year even though he hadn't earned it by outplaying Robinson. It'd be like the Pats putting Bledsoe back in after Brady showed his thing or this year with the 49ers and Smith/Kaepernick. In other words, if the Bengals are going to keep Cook at C and we continue to see collapsing pockets like we saw in 2011/12, then I'd argue that C is a priority, ahead of RB and WR to be sure. Just look at what Pouncey did for the Steelers O-line. I'm not a big fan of RBs in the first rd in this day and age, unless it's a Peterson or a Richardson. As for WR, they rarely contribute much as a rookie and we do have Sanu and Jones coming back.
    I think there is a counter-argument to the Cook-Robinson issue... Many a coach has a policy that you never lose your starting position based on injury... I do not agree with that, especially in the playoffs, but I can see the merit of it. If a player feels that they could lose their slot from an injury even if they recover, it has to affect their play... in the back of their head they are telling themselves to play just good enough to keep the slot but not take any risks that could cause them to suffer an injury that would put them out a few weeks and then immediately priove that they are better than their replacement.

Again, i do not agree with this approach, but I can see its merits from a leadership perspective.

Good article about Maybin. He has been through a lot.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...ticle-1.969039

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    I think there is a counter-argument to the Cook-Robinson issue... Many a coach has a policy that you never lose your starting position based on injury... I do not agree with that, especially in the playoffs, but I can see the merit of it. If a player feels that they could lose their slot from an injury even if they recover, it has to affect their play... in the back of their head they are telling themselves to play just good enough to keep the slot but not take any risks that could cause them to suffer an injury that would put them out a few weeks and then immediately priove that they are better than their replacement.

Again, i do not agree with this approach, but I can see its merits from a leadership perspective.
    The mantra of "not losing your job due to injury" has proven to be a poor one for nearly 100 years now. As us baseball fans know, this is how Lou Gehrig got his job way back in the day. It assumes that the coaches never make a mistake on evaluating talent before the game starts. It also gives the starter a sense of job security that's not healthy for the team.

Your theory on a player playing so hard that he risks injury is so bizarre that I've never heard of such a thing. I want a player to think his job is on the line on every play and I don't share the opinion that playing hard equates to more injuries. I think coaches should consider replacing players at any point including injuries. I'd argue that the 49ers would not be in the Super Bowl if they'd stuck with the not losing your job to injury mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't really blame the Bengals from missing on UC talent. It happens and its not exactly like UC is a hidden program with a few hidden gems. It does appear like the Eagles like the Bearcats quite a bit huh?

As for the draft I think what will be telling is what happens to Michael Johnson, Andre Smith, and Rey Maualuga. I think Smith must be retained. The NFL is an offensive league and I think Smith is an above average RT. I would like to have Johnson back, on an extension, not a franchise. Maualuga I don't exactly want back but I don't know what the Bengals think. The TE's are becoming an important part of the passing game and Maualuga doesn't defend the TE's well at all.

If you assume Johnson and Smith are back then the need goes directly to LB, S, RB, WR. If Johnson/Smith aren't retained then you have to put RT and DE in the mix. I like how the Bengals have been able to stockpile defensive lineman and want to see that continue.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Bengals try to trade down in this draft. With 3 picks in the first two rounds they have flexibility, you can use that flexibility to set yourself up for drafts to come, a la the Pats.
    My plan:

1. Extend Michael Johnson
    2. Franchise Andre Smith (I like him playing year-to-year the best, but we can't afford to lose him)
    3. Sign FA WR or RB (Amendola or R.Bush would be my top picks)
    4. Draft LB/SS in Round 1 (Ogletree or Vaccaro would be my top picks)
    5. Draft whichever RB/WR you don't sign in FA at pick 38
    6. Draft whichever LB/SS you don't in the first round at pick 53
    7. Go BPA to add depth all over the field after the second round
    8. Cut Maulauga
    9. Let B.Scott, Leonard, Geathers, Clements, and Newman go, but bring back Pacman and Thomas Howard.

Also wouldn't mind extending Geno Atkins and/or AJ Green. Would NOT extend Dalton or Gresham- they need to improve and prove themselves next year.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Good article about Maybin. He has been through a lot.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...ticle-1.969039
    Touching story but what does it have to do with the Bengals? Did the Bengals acquire him recently?

Also wouldn't mind extending Geno Atkins and/or AJ Green. Would NOT extend Dalton or Gresham- they need to improve and prove themselves next year.
    The CBA does not allow them to even talk about an extention with Dalton or Green until after next season

Touching story but what does it have to do with the Bengals? Did the Bengals acquire him recently?
    Yes, today.

The CBA does not allow them to even talk about an extention with Dalton or Green until after next season
    gotcha. I'd extend Atkins before he commands a bajillion bucks on the open market
    Go BLUE!!!

My plan:

1. Extend Michael Johnson
    2. Franchise Andre Smith (I like him playing year-to-year the best, but we can't afford to lose him)
    3. Sign FA WR or RB (Amendola or R.Bush would be my top picks)
    4. Draft LB/SS in Round 1 (Ogletree or Vaccaro would be my top picks)
    5. Draft whichever RB/WR you don't sign in FA at pick 38
    6. Draft whichever LB/SS you don't in the first round at pick 53
    7. Go BPA to add depth all over the field after the second round
    8. Cut Maulauga
    9. Let B.Scott, Leonard, Geathers, Clements, and Newman go, but bring back Pacman and Thomas Howard.

I agree.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Turn Off Ads?