Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a tattoo?

Re: Do you have a tattoo?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Accepted by whom? Common nomenclature among whom? I've never heard it before.

I'm not fond of branding in any form, particularly with a term that goes back to a severe double standard between the sexual behavior of men and women. Guess I don't have a sense of humor.
    All my friends?

Maybe we run in different circles.

When we see a chick with a tattoo right above her butt wearing a shirt clearly designed to 'show off' the tattoo, it's a tramp stamp. (shrug- do I owe Rem royalties for using that?) If I saw a guy with the same tattoo, the term would be the same.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    All my friends?

I guess we do.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

All my friends?

When we see a chick with a tattoo right above her butt wearing a shirt clearly designed to 'show off' the tattoo, it's a tramp stamp. (shrug- do I owe Rem royalties for using that?) If I saw a guy with the same tattoo, the term would be the same.
    If you look at this thread it goes back to Dec., 2004. I heard the term 'Tramp Stamp' sometime that summer from my boss, who was about 30 at the time.

I may be an old guy but I work with a lot of people in their 20's and 30's so I hear a lot of current terms. One woman, in her 20's, went into great detail about exactly what and where she was going to get her Tat. Tramp Stamp is probably the only part of that description I can post here.

The term has pretty much run it's course here in Southern California and I don't hear the reference much anymore. For that matter, the propensity for young women to feel the need for a tat also seems to have dropped off. Guys, not so much. (That's just my informal observations, for what they are worth.)

Rem

Yeah, Rem, referring to it as a 'bulls-eye' is probably the prevalent comment nowadays, courtesy of Wedding Crashers.

I think the propensity/desire for girls to get a tattoo in that specific location--right above the butt--has DEFINITELY fallen off b/c of that term and how quickly a tattoo in that spot became cliched.

went to a parlor yesterday to discuss inking.

Lady Raven really likes the idea of this spooky li'l cat on her right shoulder

and i'm finally going to be getting my cross on my right bicep and a Thor's hammer on my left bicep.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post

and i'm finally going to be getting my cross on my right bicep and a Thor's hammer on my left bicep.
    What about Grabthar's hammer?

Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    What about Grabthar's hammer?

nah...maybe if i had a third a fourth arm for fiction. the right arm is what i believe, the left is where i'm from. eventually, i'll be sleeved, as tradition dictates...but it'll be a slow process because tatoos are are earned, not a whimsy.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

nah...maybe if i had a third a fourth arm for fiction. the right arm is what i believe, the left is where i'm from. eventually, i'll be sleeved, as tradition dictates...but it'll be a slow process because tatoos are are earned, not a whimsy.
    What tradition do you follow?

When you say sleeved, do you mean your entire arms will be covered in tats?

How do you 'earn' them?

I think the propensity/desire for girls to get a tattoo in that specific location--right above the butt--has DEFINITELY fallen off b/c of that term and how quickly a tattoo in that spot became cliched.
    So, my fiancee tells me tonight that she wants to get a tattoo, and that she doesn't want a tramp stamp. I had to laugh, simply due to her timing at breaking this news to me now.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    So, my fiancee tells me tonight that she wants to get a tattoo, and that she doesn't want a tramp stamp. I had to laugh, simply due to her timing at breaking this news to me now.

That's so funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    A tattoo is something that you should only get because YOU want it. A lot of thought needs to be put in them before you actually do it.

Agree 100%. I have 5 and each and every one marks a special, important event or moment in my life and I do not regret a single one of them. The oldest one now is almost 14 years old and I still am glad that I got it.

To each their own, though. That said, I really do hate how some people really are judged one way or the other all due to the fact that they choose to use their body to express themselves. I mean, I'm 6'2", hair down to my shoulder blades, earrings and 5 tats. Does that make me 'weird' or 'non-professional'? I don't think so in the least. But again, to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    To each their own, though. That said, I really do hate how some people really are judged one way or the other all due to the fact that they choose to use their body to express themselves. I mean, I'm 6'2", hair down to my shoulder blades, earrings and 5 tats. Does that make me 'weird' or 'non-professional'? I don't think so in the least. But again, to each their own.
    I think our society still says yes, but I agree, it shouldn't make a difference.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I could care less if anyone has a tatoo or not, but it really surprises me to hear some people still say they've never heard of the term "tramp stamp". It's a fairly common term when talking about that type of tatoo from what I've heard.

I love that you call your wife/girlfriend Lady Raven

I might have one if I weren't so terrified of needles. I'm very prone to fainting; I doubt I'd ever make it out of the chair.

I know that a lot of people think of them as trendy or short-sighted, and I think that's true in some cases, but I've seen some really beautiful tattoos over the years. Some people really do view them as a piece of art that you can carry with you, something that means a great deal or represents something in your life that you want to keep with you. Yes, there are generic and embarrassing tattoos out there (one of my cousins has a huge orange-and-blue blowfish named Hootie above her butt -- I wonder how she feels about that) but there are an equal amount of very personal, much-loved tattoos out there too.

I've known exactly what I wanted to get and where I would get it for about 10-12 years now. It hasn't changed a smidgen; if anything, the reasons I always wanted it are even more appropriate now. I'm pretty sure I would love it. But I have that needle thing.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?