Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds in Serious Talks with Broxton

Re: Reds in Serious Talks with Broxton

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I saw a recent pic of Denard Span and it looks like he put on quite a bit of weight. Looks like he could cover center field standing still. I think he is considering changing his name to Denard Spandex. LOL.

In all seriousness, is Span an upgrade over Stubbs?
    Over Stubbs? For the role I think the Reds would use him in? Yes, I really do think that he is. And that's not even me hating on Stubbs. I'd take Span all day over BJ Upton and Victorino too. Now, of course it all comes down to what it would cost in discussing whether that marginal improvement is worth the going rate.

Maybe Denard really wants to come here, heard we were linked to Broxton, and just wanted to gain some weight to fit in? I honestly didn't know he had put weight on and that's probably not something you want from someone whose game is predicated on speed.
    Last edited by Larkin88; 11-27-2012 at 12:06 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    not to mention closers are the most over rated position in baseball.

Or I mean the most misused position in baseball. For example chapman was worthless in the NLDS. They bring him in game 1 w/ a 4 run lead when anyone could close that out.

They dont bring him the 5th inning of a 2-0 game 5 w/ the bases loaded and the MVP at the plate.

Which situation is more important for chapman to be in? A meaningless 4 run save in the 9th or when the season is on the line in the 5th? And every manager does this too and its infuriating.
    I don't think I've ever agreed with something as wholeheartedly as I do with this. A championship team needs a strong bullpen from top to bottom, and then an elite closer isn't as vital. Hell, look at SF last year. A lot of people might have thought their bullpen would suffer greatly losing Wilson, but Romo and others stepped up and were one of the biggest reasons they won it all.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    I agree. Most explicitly the parts about Chaps head. Dude is simply not smart enough to be a starter. I've seen nothing that leads me to believe he's more pitcher than thrower.
    You've never met or spoken to Aroldis Chapman. You've never spoken to another human being who has worked with Aroldis Chapman. You have no idea what his intelligence level is like or what he's capable of and your speculation is ridiculous.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    I agree. Most explicitly the parts about Chaps head. Dude is simply not smart enough to be a starter. I've seen nothing that leads me to believe he's more pitcher than thrower.
    I was referring to his confidence level if he failed at starting. This game is so mental, it could have very negative effects on his closing ability....

Seems that the Reds have indeed signed Broxton to a multi-year deal:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...e-to-deal.html

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    You've never met or spoken to Aroldis Chapman. You've never spoken to another human being who has worked with Aroldis Chapman. You have no idea what his intelligence level is like or what he's capable of and your speculation is ridiculous.
    Gas on the fire.... I've seen his musical talents. That did make me question him.

i really hope this deal is not more than $12million/3yr

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    I don't have to attempt to teach the guy math to know that he is good at one thing and on thing only...throwing gas. Period. His baseball IQ, like many other throwers, is minimal and that is fine, for a closer. "Don't think Meat. Just pitch"

Do I have to mention is off field decisions and at least one acrobatic on field decision too?

Chapman was the best starter the Reds had in Sprint Training last year, and a good starter is more valuable than a great closer. I love the signing and hope they can pull the move to starter off.

I also thing that starting might be better off for Chapman's arm as opposed to pitching 2 or 4 times a week.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    i really hope this deal is not more than $12million/3yr
    I guess you're upset...

The contract is worth $21MM, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports. The deal will pay Broxton $4MM in 2013, $7MM in 2014 and $9MM in 2015. It also includes a $9MM club option for 2016 with a $1MM buyout. If the Reds trade Broxton, the guarantee increases to $22MM, with the 2016 option becoming a mutual option with a $2MM buyout.
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/cincin...jAC5u6zfzrT.99

Turn Off Ads?