7 35.00%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Ryder Cup

Re: 2008 Ryder Cup

that last 1/2 point on 18 was massive

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Phil's out there to cash checks. That's it.

He takes no pride in his game or his appearance. Golf is a job to him.

He played well enough in 3 tourneys at the right time to win some Majors, good for him. I give him credit for rethinking the way he played his game around the time that he won his first Masters, but since then he's reverted back to normal Phil (aka playing stupid golf). I look at Phil as a monumental waste of talent. It's not that I hate him (since hate is a strong word), but it's that I'm embarassed by him and he's a disgrace to himself.

But yeah, Henrik Stenson might as well change his name to Chris Denorfia in my book.
    Wow! Sounds like you have the same feelings about Phil that a lot of folks have expressed about one of the Reds former outfielders.

I just saw the matchups for tomorrow. They look really good for Europe, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if Europe takes an early lead tomorrow to the put the heat on the US of A. I think the US will respond and win a very close Ryder Cup.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I just saw the matchups for tomorrow. They look really good for Europe, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if Europe takes an early lead tomorrow to the put the heat on the US of A. I think the US will respond and win a very close Ryder Cup.
    Will I guess that the US stratagy is to win this thing early. Sunday's Singles Pairings Set12:03 PM: Kim (USA) vs. Garcia (EUR)
    12:14 PM: Mahan (USA) vs. Casey (EUR)
    12:25 PM: Leonard (USA) vs. Karlsson (EUR)
    12:36 PM: Mickelson (USA) vs. Rose (EUR)
    12:47 PM: Perry (USA) vs. Stenson (EUR)
    12:58 PM: Weekley (USA) vs. WIlson (EUR)
    1:09 PM: Holmes (USA) vs. Hansen (EUR)
    1:20 PM: Furyk (USA) vs. Jimenez (EUR)
    1:31 PM: Cink (USA) vs. McDowell (EUR)
    1:42 PM: Stricker (USA) vs. Poulter (EUR)
    1:53 PM: Curtis (USA) vs. Westwood (EUR)
    2:04 PM: Campbell vs. Harrington (EUR)

If Azinger thinks Stricker, Curtis, and Campbell have a chance, he is dreaming. He is praying it's over by then. Can you imagine Campbell and Harrington on 18 tied 13 1/2 to 13 1/2? Ugly!

Kim has not played that great either and I like the fact he is being sacrificed against Garcia, first out of the gate.

The question is will Phil "show-up?" Sunday is not a great day of golf for him historically.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

The last number is the total points scored by the golfer. and the 2nd to last number is the total number of matches played. Hunter Mahan has been a stud! 4 matches, 3 points! So has Poulter.

I would of benched Curtis all day today, and played the hottest putter in the world, Justin Leonard, this afternoon.

Foursomes
    W-L-T Fourball
    W-L-T Singles
    W-L-T Total
    W-L-T Matches Points
    Phil Mickelson 0-1-1 1-0-1 0-0-0 1-1-2 4 2.0
    Stewart Cink 1-1-0 0-0-0 0-0-0 1-1-0 2 1.0
    Kenny Perry 1-0-1 0-1-0 0-0-0 1-1-1 3 1.5
    Jim Furyk 1-0-1 0-1-0 0-0-0 1-1-1 3 1.5
    Anthony Kim 0-1-1 1-0-0 0-0-0 1-1-1 3 1.5
    Justin Leonard 1-0-1 1-0-0 0-0-0 2-0-1 3 2.5
    Ben Curtis 0-0-0 0-1-1 0-0-0 0-1-1 2 0.5
    Boo Weekley 0-0-0 1-0-1 0-0-0 1-0-1 2 1.5
    Steve Stricker 0-0-0 0-1-1 0-0-0 0-1-1 2 0.5
    Hunter Mahan 1-0-1 1-0-1 0-0-0 2-0-2 4 3.0
    J.B. Holmes 0-0-0 1-0-1 0-0-0 1-0-1 2 1.5
    Chad Campbell 1-1-0 0-0-0 0-0-0 1-1-0 2 1.0

Europe
    Foursomes
    W-L-T Fourball
    W-L-T Singles
    W-L-T Total
    W-L-T Matches Points
    Paul Casey 0-1-0 0-0-1 0-0-0 0-1-1 2 0.5
    Sergio Garcia 0-0-1 0-1-1 0-0-0 0-1-2 3 1.0
    Søren Hansen 0-0-0 0-1-1 0-0-0 0-1-1 2 0.5
    Padraig Harrington 0-1-1 0-1-0 0-0-0 0-2-1 3 0.5
    Miguel Angel Jiménez 0-0-1 0-1-0 0-0-0 0-1-1 2 0.5
    Robert Karlsson 0-1-1 0-0-1 0-0-0 0-1-2 3 1.0
    Graeme McDowell 0-0-1 1-1-0 0-0-0 1-1-1 3 1.5
    Ian Poulter 1-1-0 2-0-0 0-0-0 3-1-0 4 3.0
    Justin Rose 1-1-0 1-0-0 0-0-0 2-1-0 3 2.0
    Henrik Stenson 1-1-0 0-0-1 0-0-0 1-1-1 3 1.5
    Lee Westwood 0-0-1 0-1-1 0-0-0 0-1-2 3 1.0
    Oliver Wilson 1-0-0 0-0-0 0-0-0 1-0-0 1 1.0
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Absolutely amazing day of golf. I felt the US reallyleft a coupleof points out on the course.

Justin Leonard was phenomenal this morning. Jim Furyk was about as clutch as can be in the afternoon. I love Steve Stricker. So soft spoken and comes up with the clutchest of putt son #18. even more, I loved his reaction after he holed the putt behind Sergio's explosion. That was priceless.

Mahan was really good both days, but that missed 3 footer probably cost thema half point.

I LOVED that Boo took it to Westwood today. That also was priceless.

Collosal meltdown by Phil this morning. And it rubbed off on Kim. That was ugly.

I felt bad for Perry and Furyk. Not much more they could have done. The two best Euro players of the day were Poulter and McDowell. Paired together, I don't think anyone could have beat them.

Ian Poulter is just an arse. No other way to say it. First class jackass.

As for tomorrow, I don't have such a good feeling. I consider iteven going into tomorrow because I don't see any way that Holmes or Curtis could possibly not get beat. Curtis has been awful and Holmes hasn't been much better. I'mactually relieved to see Westwood against Curtis as it's taking their best guy and going against our worst. I love the idea of punting with Curtis.

But I think it's going to be close. I see the Euros winning 7.5to 4.5 and win by one.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Highlights from today:

* 10 minutes after I got to the course this morning, I was walking down the right hand side of #1. As luck would have it, Justin Leonard hit his opening tee shot about 20 feet away from me. I got to see Hunter Mahan hit the ensuing approach shot from about 10 feet away, front row and from directly behind (you might have seen me on TV). But Hunter did not have an easy shot into the green and yet, he made the sweetest contact I've ever seen on a golf ball. It's just phenomenal the level of talent of these players. Everyone knows that this field is arguably the top 24 players (minus Tiger) out of the USA and Europe. But it's not so easy to know just how mind-boggingly great these guys are at the game. The difference in ability between the players is razor thin. It's something that doesn't come out while watching on TV, but it's exceedingly apparent while watching them play in person.

* The "Official Ryder Cup Radio" was the best $11 I've ever spent. It was a joy listening to the banter of the BBC radio while out on the course. It's also surreal to hear the roar of the gallery on the radio before hearing it in person.

* It is obvious that Jack designed Valhalla with tournament play in mind. Each of the holes are basically amphitheaters with high ground surrounding the entire hole. This made it pretty easy for all 40,000 patrons to have a view of the action, especially around the greens.

* As impressive as Hunter Mahan has been in this tournament, he made an awful choice to putt the ball on 18 in the morning session. There was no way he was going to put the ball with 8 feet while keeping it on the ground. As a result, he put it 10 feet from the pin and Justin missed the resulting putt - and the Americans lost out on a 1/2 point.

* I don't think I will ever again see anyone stake a six-iron from 220 out on a 600 yard par-5 again like J.B. Holmes did on 10. That was really cool and the Euros made the right decision to give him the putt.

* The gallery was colorful and I was surprised at the number of Euros that made the trip. There were lots of Brits, Irish and Swedes in attendance.

* The amount of infrastructure to support the tournament is quite the feat. There is a 38,000 square foot temporary pro shop set up, multiple PGA learning centers, dozens of giant video boards. The PGA really spared no expense at putting this thing on.

* I peed next to Roger Maltbie. Yes, even TV commentators have to use the bathroom from time to time.

* As I think of more stuff, I'll add it here....
    Last edited by paintmered; 09-21-2008 at 12:23 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post

* I peed next to Roger Maltbie. Yes, even TV commentators have to use the bathroom from time to time.
    Did you do a sword fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Did you do a sword fight?
    Snarky response: Well, he was in a bit of a hurry with NBC contractual obligations and all. And plus, J.B. Holmes was on the course at the time and he can bomb it a long way - longer than me anyways. And while there is no study exists that correlates the size of male genitalia with the average drive length, I think Roger understood that he was better suited to find his play elsewhere. Really, it comes down to that I don't hit an average drive 350 yards. And I had time to explain all of this to him as we gazed longingly into each other's eyes while going to the bathroom...

Serious reponse: Erm...no. We were in separate port-a-pots. And your comment really wasn't appropriate.
    Last edited by paintmered; 09-21-2008 at 01:28 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Will I guess that the US stratagy is to win this thing early. Sunday's Singles Pairings

12:03 PM: Kim (USA) vs. Garcia (EUR)
    12:14 PM: Mahan (USA) vs. Casey (EUR)
    12:25 PM: Leonard (USA) vs. Karlsson (EUR)
    12:36 PM: Mickelson (USA) vs. Rose (EUR)
    12:47 PM: Perry (USA) vs. Stenson (EUR)
    12:58 PM: Weekley (USA) vs. Wilson (EUR)
    1:09 PM: Holmes (USA) vs. Hansen (EUR)
    1:20 PM: Furyk (USA) vs. Jimenez (EUR)
    1:31 PM: Cink (USA) vs. McDowell (EUR)
    1:42 PM: Stricker (USA) vs. Poulter (EUR)
    1:53 PM: Curtis (USA) vs. Westwood (EUR)
    2:04 PM: Campbell vs. Harrington (EUR)

If Azinger thinks Stricker, Curtis, and Campbell have a chance, he is dreaming. He is praying it's over by then. Can you imagine Campbell and Harrington on 18 tied 13 1/2 to 13 1/2? Ugly!

Kim has not played that great either and I like the fact he is being sacrificed against Garcia, first out of the gate.

The question is will Phil "show-up?" Sunday is not a great day of golf for him historically.
    Curtis vs Westwood is the "who gives a crap, let's go grab a beer" match. Westwood's playing like crap, and Curtis is playing like crap, so this match could ultimately be the worst one of the day.

I bolded my winners. I see this going 6 to 6, which means even though I predicted the Euros to win, they need to win 7 matches to retain, and based on these pairings and how the Americans have been playing, I don't see the Euros winning more than 6.

Honestly, and I never thought I'd say this, but Holmes and Weekley are the keys to the singles. If they play how they played yesterday, then the Americans keep the Cup stateside. If they don't, then Azinger's last 3 sacrificial lambs will have to play out of their butts, and 1 of those 3 will have to be a clinching W.

That being said, I think Cink clinches his match, and the Cup for the Americans, on the 16th green.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Absolutely amazing day of golf. I felt the US reallyleft a coupleof points out on the course.

Justin Leonard was phenomenal this morning. Jim Furyk was about as clutch as can be in the afternoon. I love Steve Stricker. So soft spoken and comes up with the clutchest of putt son #18. even more, I loved his reaction after he holed the putt behind Sergio's explosion. That was priceless.

Mahan was really good both days, but that missed 3 footer probably cost thema half point.

I LOVED that Boo took it to Westwood today. That also was priceless.

Collosal meltdown by Phil this morning. And it rubbed off on Kim. That was ugly.

I felt bad for Perry and Furyk. Not much more they could have done. The two best Euro players of the day were Poulter and McDowell. Paired together, I don't think anyone could have beat them.

Ian Poulter is just an arse. No other way to say it. First class jackass.

As for tomorrow, I don't have such a good feeling. I consider iteven going into tomorrow because I don't see any way that Holmes or Curtis could possibly not get beat. Curtis has been awful and Holmes hasn't been much better. I'mactually relieved to see Westwood against Curtis as it's taking their best guy and going against our worst. I love the idea of punting with Curtis.

But I think it's going to be close. I see the Euros winning 7.5to 4.5 and win by one.
    What makes you feel this way about Poulter?

why is it so hard for golfers to understand the dynamics of a high five?

Seriously, Right hand-right hand, left hand-left hand. Don't make things harder than they need to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

What makes you feel this way about Poulter?
    I wanted to know that too. He seemed pretty intense, which I figured came from all the negative press about him being a poor captain's choice. But generally, I enjoy the way these guys get amped up over the Ryder Cup.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Honestly, and I never thought I'd say this, but Holmes and Weekley are the keys to the singles. If they play how they played yesterday, then the Americans keep the Cup stateside. If they don't, then Azinger's last 3 sacrificial lambs will have to play out of their butts, and 1 of those 3 will have to be a clinching W.
    I don't agree on Holmes. He's been incredibly erratic. He's had a few moments, but for the most part, he's not been very good.

As for Poulter, he just seems psychotic, not intense. He's wound so tight, it looks like he could explode at any moment. Intense competitors like the way most on both sides behave I like, Poulter just appears to be insane. Just my perception, but he acts like an idiot.
    Last edited by MWM; 09-21-2008 at 01:06 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Sergio trying to pull one over, and it looks like he's been successful. that was no "normal stance" and I think Kim knows it.

edit: turns out he took an unplayable anyway so it didn't matter.

Turn Off Ads?