Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Browns trade Trent Richardson

Re: Browns trade Trent Richardson

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    As a general rule, you don't build a team by trading 1st rd draft picks for future 1st rd picks especially when it's a high 1st that you traded picks to get in the first place.
    Again - it wasn't the current ownership, management team, and coaching staff that did that, made those decisions.

So if the current ownership and coaching staff feel their predecessors made a mistake or were wrong-headed, that those move(s) are in opposition to their plans/goals, then they have the obligation to try and correct them. Even if it may be painful as far as this year goes.

And it's funny, but most pundits and sports analysts that I have read over the last several days, while acknowledging the risk and boldness of this trade, aren't so hard on the Browns and question whether it will, in the long-run be a sound move by Indy. Was Richardson worth their 1st round pick? We'll see.

Of course they made that a priority when they drafted Tim Couch too so it takes more than that.
    That was 14 yrs ago dude. How many 1st round picks did they use on a QB since, up to Weeden (who I wasn't high on)?

You want a list of all the failed, highly touted 1st round QBs that everyone bragged on, and have failed? LOL

And yes, it takes more. And the Brown's hierarchy has just said so. There are other players/positions on offense they said will have top priority in the next draft. But ya gotta start with a good QB or all else means nothing.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

@GAC

My problem with the Mack pick is when you have massive needs across the entire, trading down and drafting a C with your first pick isn't getting the best value. C may be the most important position on the line but it isn't the most valuable. You can find centers late in the draft and even groom rookie FA centers.

The current Browns regime can't change the past. They can't change that the previous FO thought it was worth it to trade up for Richardson and draft Weeden. In the NFL you can't change everything in a year. I can understand the trade but I still don't think it was a smart move. The Browns have made it evident that they NEED a QB in next year's draft. The problem when you go out there with a NEED, is if your guy is gone you often times reach. You end up with a Blane Gabbart or Christian Ponder. The jury is still out on Locker but I think he was a reach as well. If you look at most of the later on QB picks, they were picked because a team liked them but they didn't have a NEED for them right away.

You win in the NFL with talent. The Browns may have beat the Vikings, but they aren't as talented of a team as they were in week 2. They "tanked" the season because their FO decided it was time to trade one of their most dangerous weapons after week 2 and made it evident that they were going to draft a QB. The ironic thing is the defense is pretty stout and if they would have made a move in trading a 2nd for Alex Smith they may have been a 9-7 football team or potentially better if there D stays stout.

4. Likes:

Todd Gack (09-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Again - it wasn't the current ownership, management team, and coaching staff that did that, made those decisions.

So if the current ownership and coaching staff feel their predecessors made a mistake or were wrong-headed, that those move(s) are in opposition to their plans/goals, then they have the obligation to try and correct them. Even if it may be painful as far as this year goes.

And it's funny, but most pundits and sports analysts that I have read over the last several days, while acknowledging the risk and boldness of this trade, aren't so hard on the Browns and question whether it will, in the long-run be a sound move by Indy. Was Richardson worth their 1st round pick? We'll see.

That was 14 yrs ago dude. How many 1st round picks did they use on a QB since, up to Weeden (who I wasn't high on)?

You want a list of all the failed, highly touted 1st round QBs that everyone bragged on, and have failed? LOL

And yes, it takes more. And the Brown's hierarchy has just said so. There are other players/positions on offense they said will have top priority in the next draft. But ya gotta start with a good QB or all else means nothing.
    Yes "dude", I'm well aware of the obvious such as how long ago 1999 was and the fact that the Holmgren regime is over. That doesn't change the facts of what I wrote. We'll see how it all works out and it'll be fun to track, starting with Mother's Day weekend this coming May

The more I think about it GAC, I think the best move the Browns can make now is to trade Joe Haden to the Bengals for an undisclosed draft pick in the 2023 draft...

7. Likes:

bucksfan2 (09-24-2013),RiverRat13 (09-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    @GAC

My problem with the Mack pick is when you have massive needs across the entire, trading down and drafting a C with your first pick isn't getting the best value. C may be the most important position on the line but it isn't the most valuable. You can find centers late in the draft and even groom rookie FA centers.

The current Browns regime can't change the past. They can't change that the previous FO thought it was worth it to trade up for Richardson and draft Weeden. In the NFL you can't change everything in a year. I can understand the trade but I still don't think it was a smart move. The Browns have made it evident that they NEED a QB in next year's draft. The problem when you go out there with a NEED, is if your guy is gone you often times reach. You end up with a Blane Gabbart or Christian Ponder. The jury is still out on Locker but I think he was a reach as well. If you look at most of the later on QB picks, they were picked because a team liked them but they didn't have a NEED for them right away.

You win in the NFL with talent. The Browns may have beat the Vikings, but they aren't as talented of a team as they were in week 2. They "tanked" the season because their FO decided it was time to trade one of their most dangerous weapons after week 2 and made it evident that they were going to draft a QB. The ironic thing is the defense is pretty stout and if they would have made a move in trading a 2nd for Alex Smith they may have been a 9-7 football team or potentially better if there D stays stout.
    Again buck, a lot of what you state is true. And as you say - "you can't change the past" - so there is really no reason to re-hash it as far as the Browns goes. They came back into the league as an "expansion" team, and it's going to be rough goings for those new teams the first few years as they try to build something.

But then it turned into, as I stated earlier, a comedy of errors, and mainly, IMO, from bad ownership decisions. And I refer to Randy Lerner, who took over when his Dad (Al) passed away. He tried and made a sincere effort, but being an NFL owner was not his passion, and he had minimal knowledge or interest. He was a square peg in a round hole. He was low-key who relied on delegating those responsibilities to others, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but he simply could never figure this NFL ownership thingy out and was in over his head to the point of frustration. In most people's minds, especially Brown fans, they celebrated when he sold them.

As far as the present? ..... there's no denying the current owner, management (Lombardi, Banner), and coaching staff, were on the hot seat when they took over to turn things around. And that seat is now even hotter with the trade.

But after watching this offense (especially Weeden) in that 0-2 start, this team would be lucky to win 4 games IMO. So I really have no problem with what they did. And it's not the only change.

But as far as evaluation goes, we will only now for sure if this was a good/bad move by the results of next years draft... and also how successful TR is at Indy. And it's not only about the two picks in the first round either. They have 10 picks overall.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Saban's backs aren't NFL powerhouses.
    Neither are Auburn's.

10. Likes:

jimbo (09-25-2013)

Brown's tanking?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Neither are Auburn's.
    Cleveland just traded TR because they're dreaming of Ben Tate. Yep, Ben Tate.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Brown's tanking?
    I thought about this yesterday. I think it supports my point that the Browns have a very good defense and a team that can compete, especially at home, with most NFL teams. The problem is Hoyer will be exposed eventually and they probably will end up a 6-10 football team.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I thought about this yesterday. I think it supports my point that the Browns have a very good defense and a team that can compete, especially at home, with most NFL teams. The problem is Hoyer will be exposed eventually and they probably will end up a 6-10 football team.
    Won't argue with that assessment one bit buck. Everyone is on the Hoyer bandwagon right now. I heard Boomer Esiason say Sunday the Browns have found their QB. And while I like what I have seen from Hoyer, I had to laugh at that comment. He really hasn't been tested yet.

The Brown's D will keep them in games. It did last year. But you still have to put points on the board. There were several games last year, close games, where we had the lead in the 4th quarter (though slim) and found ways to let it slip away. I thought it would happen this past Sunday.

Our next five games, before the bye week, are the Bills, Lions, Packers, Chiefs, and Ravens. Of those games, the only ones I see them having a chance of possibly winning (and they are home games) are vs the Bills and Ravens. 2-3 at best, but I say 1-4 is more likely. So that would put us at 3-6.

Of the remaining 7 games, which includes games vs the Bears and Patriots, I see the possibility of 3 more wins... split with the Steelers (who are awful), Jags, and maybe Jets. We won't win our re-match in Cincy IMO.

So that would put us, like you say, at 6-10. 7-9 is a long shot IMO. But 5-11 is attainable. LOL
    Last edited by GAC; 10-01-2013 at 04:51 AM.

3-0 since the trade now. Even Weeden got in on the action tonight.

Really hoping Hoyer's injury isn't too serious.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Trent who?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Really hoping Hoyer's injury isn't too serious.
    It is.

Tebow time! The perfect call for a franchise that needs a miracle.

Damn, quadruple post about 90 minutes after I hit send. Impressive.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 10-04-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Turn Off Ads?