Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Thank goodness Volquez was foolish enough to turn down the LTC

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Thank goodness Volquez was foolish enough to turn down the LTC

nm ... keeping the peace
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 04-06-2011 at 10:46 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thank goodness Volquez was foolish enough to turn down the LTC

Holy mother of overreactions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Jim Maloney says hi.

SHOCKING that this guy has never been the same since being busted for PEDs.
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Really?
    No, not really. It was sarcasm. Volquez has one good year (his only good year), then gets busted for PEDs ... and now he's struggling. Hmmm. Don't need to be a private investigator to figure out that one.

He did get hurt, but he should be fully recovered from Tommy John by now. The guy just has terrible command and I would be surprised if that ever changes. I would love to be wrong, believe me. '

And it's not just about this game, so don't suggest this is some overreaction based on two innings. It's about everything I've seen out of this guy, save the one good season he had. Heck, he was so bad with the Rangers they had to send him all the way down to low-A to get himself straightened out. The guy is a head case and I will be surprised if he's ever consistently a good MLB pitcher. And we traded a flat out stud to get him. Depressing! (Just being honest here. I'm sure there are those that agree and disagree. That's fine. That's what message boards are for.)

The guy falls asleep on the mound all the time. Example: The double steal in the first inning when he was ignoring the runners. (Including one of the best base-stealers in the game in Bourn.) Then he balks the next inning. So, he even struggles with the small stuff. Good pitchers don't do stuff like that.

And youth can't be an excuse any longer. The guy is 28 years old. He's no spring chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    No, not really. It was sarcasm. Volquez has one good year (his only good year), then gets busted for PEDs ... and now he's struggling. Hmmm. Don't need to be a private investigator to figure out that one.

He did get hurt, but he should be fully recovered from Tommy John by now. The guy just has terrible command and I would be surprised if that ever changes. I would love to be wrong, believe me. '

And it's not just about this game, so don't suggest this is some overreaction based on two innings. It's about everything I've seen out of this guy, save the one good season he had. Heck, he was so bad with the Rangers they had to send him all the way down to low-A to get himself straightened out. The guy is a head case and I will be surprised if he's ever consistently a good MLB pitcher. And we traded a flat out stud to get him. Depressing! (Just being honest here. I'm sure there are those that agree and disagree. That's fine. That's what message boards are for.)
    Lol. I like how you put his Tommy John surgery as an after thought. He's still less than 100 innings removed from it.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

All that Blitz has said here has my full backing, FTR. I'm done with EV... to think some people still try to justify The Trade.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Was that a sarcastic claim of sarcasm? I'm lost

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Lol. I like how you put his Tommy John surgery as an after thought. He's still less than 100 innings removed from it.
    That's fine. I'm sure there are going to be plenty of people that disagree with me. Just calling it like I see it. And again, I would love to be wrong about this guy. But even the little things he doesn't do well. Falling asleep on the mound and not checking the runners has nothing to do with him coming back from Tommy John. And his command is just atrocious most of the time. He's hitting 96 on the gun, so he's got the velocity. Just everything else is missing.

And a haircut wouldn't hurt! Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    All that Blitz has said here has my full backing, FTR. I'm done with EV... to think some people still try to justify The Trade.

Hey, I'm not totally alone on the island. Good thing is I brought plenty of beer and snacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    That's fine. I'm sure there are going to be plenty of people that disagree with me. Just calling it like I see it. And again, I would love to be wrong about this guy. But even the little things he doesn't do well. Falling asleep on the mound and not checking the runners has nothing to do with him coming back from Tommy John. And his command is just atrocious most of the time. He's hitting 96 on the gun, so he's got the velocity. Just everything else is missing.

And a haircut wouldn't hurt! Haha.
    For the love of God don't start with that.

So somebody coming off of Tommy John surgery is struggling with command? No way.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    For the love of God don't start with that.

So somebody coming off of Tommy John surgery is struggling with command? No way.
    You're not very adept on knowing what is a joke, even when "haha" is followed by the comment. I don't care what the guy's hair looks like. Just pitch good. I was just adding that in there because some people in this thread were getting a little too serious and wanted to add some comic relief. You have to admit that even Mrs. Volquez would probably tell him he looks bad with that 'do.

BTW, on a serious note, did you miss it when Volquez struggled big time with command during his minor league days (and even to an extent during his one good year with the Reds)? You are being disingenuous pretending like the command issues only came after Tommy John. You don't really believe that, do you?

He's never going to have great command. He's a high strikeout, high walk, low contact guy. That's who is. It shouldn't be surprising he's struggling even more with his command coming off TJ though.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Jim Maloney says hi.
    I won't be surprised in the least if Josh Hamilton has a better career when we look back on it. But up to this point, you are right.

Turn Off Ads?