Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: After the Choo deal

Re: After the Choo deal

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I still am in the camp that thinks Cingrani is headed to AAA to keep working as a starting pitcher.
    I am with ya pal.....Cingrani, and Corcino for that matter are the future of this team as far as starters are concerned....they both have above average stuff and both would start for more than a few clubs right now.....Give those 2 another year and they might just be future studs....at least they both have the make up for that......I see no reason wasting either of them, especially Cingrani in a bull pen role when there are other options out there for the pen.....I would give both of them one more year starting in the minors or spot starting for the Reds before I make the call to move them to the pen. Their upside is to high to toss in the pen right now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think at some point they get a Dontrel Willis type lefty on a minor league contract w/ a legit shot to be the 2nd left hander in the bullpen. If that guy makes the cut (or Chapman is relegated to the bullpen for whatever reason, Cingrani goes to AAA to keep working as a starter, if Cingrinrani has a good spring, he takes the 2nd lefty role next season.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I'm in the camp that thinks obtaining a LH batting backup and LHP bullpen guy are the only major holes to fill.

Cingrani, Corcino and Redman as kids in AAA would be complimented nicely by a veteran like John Lannan. Stephenson will be in AAA by season's end if he progresses like he did last year. (My addendum to Princeton's law: "challenge thy hitters and coddle thy pitchers" is that "when a pitcher is ready, he's ready; when a hitter is ready, he sometimes isn't." Stephenson is close to ready now.)

Lutz, HRod, B-Ham will all be available in AAA too, if the emergency need arises. Veteran hitters would be nice to stash there too.

IF the Reds were so inclined, a trade for Chase Headley would really secure the lineup. But I don't think that's at all realistic.
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 12-12-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I'm in the camp that thinks obtaining a LH batting backup and LHP bullpen guy are the only major holes to fill.

Cingrani, Corcino and Redman as kids in AAA would be complimented nicely by a veteran like John Lannan. Stephenson will be in AAA by season's end if he progresses like he did last year. (My addendum to Princeton's law: "challenge thy hitters and coddle thy pitchers" is that "when a pitcher is ready, he's ready; when a hitter is ready, he sometimes isn't." Stephenson is close to ready now.)

Lutz, HRod, B-Ham will all be available in AAA too, if the emergency need arises. Veteran hitters would be nice to stash there too.

IF the Reds were so inclined, a trade for Chase Headley would really secure the lineup. But I don't think that's at all realistic.
    Stephenson struggled at low-A Dayton last year in his brief stint there. He'll probably start the year out at Dayton and I expect a call-up to Bakersfield before long. But Triple-A by the end of the year? No way. I hope you're right, but I don't see it.

They're dealing from strength in almost all areas now. Aside from maybe signing Hanrahan and possibly two or three AAAA-types to compete for depth on the bench, in the pen or in Louisville's rotation, I don't see them needing to make any deals. If something came along that might let them land a near major-league ready guy that can help in the future though, I'd consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Stephenson may well be in AAA, but will need several years to build up his innings count, in reality he may get to taste AA next year...

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Stephenson may well be in AAA, but will need several years to build up his innings count, in reality he may get to taste AA next year...
    Yeah, we don't want to pull a Homer Bailey on this kid. Give him time.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Bullpen is the only area where I'd like to see a free agency signing or trade to add another quality arm.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Rolen has not said for sure if he is retiring or not.

What happens if he says he wants back in, and how do the Reds handle that? Scott is smart enough to see that this team is a winner; he might want to go out on top, even if in a part time role.
    Seems to me he either comes back as the starter or not at all. I can't see them using a 25-man roster spot on a bench guy who has spent his entire career at one position, can't possibly play anywhere other than third or first, and has no history as a pinch-hitter.

And, since I think it's unrealistic to expect him to be able to be a starter at this point, I don't think Rolen will be back.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I'd say you've nailed it with a couple exceptions. I'd say they'll definitely get Hannahan and Rolen will retire. Burriss will be in AAA. The 2 missing spots in the bullpen will be Arredondo and Massett. Both Leake and Cingrani will be in the AAA rotation. That extra LHRP people are wanting...I think that's essentially going to be Arredondo due to his odd splits. Just tossin in my 2 cents.
    I don't agree on this one, Charles. Walt is going for it. Arredondo can be effective against lefties, but he was ineffective against EVERYBODY second half last year.

There will be a second lefty in the bullpen IMO. And FWIW I would make it a good one.

Keep in mind that Chappy is out of the pen, a huge loss for the pen. The Reds will have to counteract that with depth. They need good relievers, one after the other.

Just a guess, but I'd think the Reds will try and move Ondrusek and possibly Arredondo and replace them with a lefty. Hoover will play a big role this year, hope he comes through, he'll likely join the late innings crew with Brox and Marshall.

As for Masset, I think he'll begin at AAA after missing a season and then the Reds will see what he has.

It'd be a small move, but I'd look for them to sign a veteran catcher, preferably a LH hitter, to be assigned to Louisville. Dioner Navarro redux (although, yeah, he's a switch-hitter). They need the depth for the major-league club and could also use a veteran to handle the AAA pitchers. That said, I have no idea who would be available along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Seems to me he either comes back as the starter or not at all. I can't see them using a 25-man roster spot on a bench guy who has spent his entire career at one position, can't possibly play anywhere other than third or first, and has no history as a pinch-hitter.

And, since I think it's unrealistic to expect him to be able to be a starter at this point, I don't think Rolen will be back.
    I could see them bringing Rolen back and moving Frazier back to his 'four corners' bench role. There will still be plenty of at bats available for him backing up 1B/3B/LF/RF. Rolen is only good for about 100 games a year, and Ludwick will probably miss 30-40 games as well. That's nearly a hundred starts for Todd just between those two positions. If Bruce or Votto get dinged up, that's even more playing time for him.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    It'd be a small move, but I'd look for them to sign a veteran catcher, preferably a LH hitter, to be assigned to Louisville. Dioner Navarro redux (although, yeah, he's a switch-hitter). They need the depth for the major-league club and could also use a veteran to handle the AAA pitchers. That said, I have no idea who would be available along those lines.
    I also expect them to sign a legit major league glove-man to play SS for Louisville just in case Cozart gets hurt. I don't they want to be stuck playing Donald or Burris at shortstop for any extended period of time.

I still look for them to be in money saving mode and may try to dump some of the arb salaries (Arredondo, Ondrusek, Heisey, Masset somehow, even Leake) in exchange for the pieces you guys have mentioned, or possibly extend Latos and or Bailey with some savings built in this year. Maybe I've been Fay'd, but the budget looks really bloated, nearing 100 mil before the Arroyo deferal. Heck, they may extend Leake, how bout that?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    As for Masset, I think he'll begin at AAA after missing a season and then the Reds will see what he has.

I think he is out of options, so it would have to be a DL/rehabilitation stint.

Turn Off Ads?