Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Basketball 2012-2013

Re: Ohio State Basketball 2012-2013

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I guess as an outsider everything that Crean has done off the court seems odd to me. To compound on what you have said, there have been many big time programs who have gone through what Indiana has and haven't reacted the same way. Don't get me wrong, I get the accomplishment especially when you take into consideration the path Crean has taken. I think its somewhat similar to what Cronin did at UC, albeit on a different level. IU basketball has a much bigger profile than UC does.

After hearing about the events of last night I am kinda hoping this happens. It was documented during the telecast that IU is going to hang a special B1G Championship banner for this season. From my perspective I think "Your IU basketball, your supposed to win B1G titles." But I am hoping they do lose to UM and there is a 4 way tie and they hang that special banner. Outright titles are something to be celebrated, co-titles are like kissing your sister, hanging a banner for a 4-way tie is kinda stupid.
    Great points. It kinda makes it even sweeter that the Bucks crashed the Hoosiers sweet 16 party by beating up the guests of honor in the ballroom while Sugar Daddy could only sit by and watch.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I guess as an outsider everything that Crean has done off the court seems odd to me. To compound on what you have said, there have been many big time programs who have gone through what Indiana has and haven't reacted the same way. Don't get me wrong, I get the accomplishment especially when you take into consideration the path Crean has taken. I think its somewhat similar to what Cronin did at UC, albeit on a different level. IU basketball has a much bigger profile than UC does.

After hearing about the events of last night I am kinda hoping this happens. It was documented during the telecast that IU is going to hang a special B1G Championship banner for this season. From my perspective I think "Your IU basketball, your supposed to win B1G titles." But I am hoping they do lose to UM and there is a 4 way tie and they hang that special banner. Outright titles are something to be celebrated, co-titles are like kissing your sister, hanging a banner for a 4-way tie is kinda stupid.
    I completely understand coming from an outsider. Even as an "insider" I have questioned quite a few things. My take on that banner thing is that Crean is trying to take a page out of the General's book. There is a banner in the Hall that stands alone pointing out a Big Ten Championship. It was a banner hung in honor of the fans. In 1983 the Hoosiers were pretty dang good and were waltzing through Big Ten play, Ted Kitchel went down and the Hoosiers did as well. Bobby told the fans that the team needed their support which they gave. In honor of that championship a banner was hung by itself for the fans. Me thinks that Crean is trying to play a hand similar to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I completely understand coming from an outsider. Even as an "insider" I have questioned quite a few things. My take on that banner thing is that Crean is trying to take a page out of the General's book. There is a banner in the Hall that stands alone pointing out a Big Ten Championship. It was a banner hung in honor of the fans. In 1983 the Hoosiers were pretty dang good and were waltzing through Big Ten play, Ted Kitchel went down and the Hoosiers did as well. Bobby told the fans that the team needed their support which they gave. In honor of that championship a banner was hung by itself for the fans. Me thinks that Crean is trying to play a hand similar to that.
    But, I recall Assembly Hall having fans disguised as empty seats, significant attendance drop, through the lean years. The only similarity is that both coaches like to grandstand

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    But, I recall Assembly Hall having fans disguised as empty seats, significant attendance drop, through the lean years. The only similarity is that both coaches like to grandstand
    LOL......cant argue there!!!!!!!

A lot of the fans didn't show up, but even in the lean years IU never slipped below 16th nationally in terms of paid attendance. So at least they were dressed as paid empty seats
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    A lot of the fans didn't show up, but even in the lean years IU never slipped below 16th nationally in terms of paid attendance. So at least they were dressed as paid empty seats
    Folks keeping their season tickets for better days, not showing up when the team was bad. Glad the faithful have money to burn.

It's the same reason they built a shrine for a relatively meaningless regular season win over UK...

or why the Bloomington phone book's front cover was a picture of "The Shot" (lol)...

or handing out rings for making the SWEET 16...

You're seriously going to cut down the nets for ensuring yourself at least a piece of the B1G??!! Seriously?

They haven't won anything of significance in over two decades and they're desperate for something to celebrate.

I know a couple old school IU fans and they're actually embarrassed that IU puts on such dog and pony shows for such lame "accomplishments." A program that has 5 national championships SHOULD be above such silliness.

As an addendum, I think Crean does it because he sees it as a way of ensuring his own job security. I mean, how can you criticize a coach when his team just cut down nets? It's startling how many IU fans buy into these "accomplishments" hook, line, and sinker.

IMO, all this celebrating may very well end up coming back to bite them in the ass in the tournament because it contributes to the players having a false sense of accomplishment and feeling content because of that.

IU still has a decent shot to win it all, IMO, but it's looking right now like they peaked a couple months too soon.
    Last edited by WMR; 03-06-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Or why UK retired players jersey's after the '92 season!!!!!!!!

The points are well taken WMR. As I have said time and time again........elite programs go through these kind of things. Even the Wildcats have had their trials and tribulations. As an "old school" IU fan I shake my head a lot of times with what I see. I also see many of my friends shake their heads with what is going on at their particular schools. No school is exempt nor ever will be.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    It's the same reason they built a shrine for a relatively meaningless regular season win over UK...

or why the Bloomington phone book's front cover was a picture of "The Shot" (lol)...

or handing out rings for making the SWEET 16...

You're seriously going to cut down the nets for ensuring yourself at least a piece of the B1G??!! Seriously?

They haven't won anything of significance in over two decades and they're desperate for something to celebrate.

I know a couple old school IU fans and they're actually embarrassed that IU puts on such dog and pony shows for such lame "accomplishments." A program that has 5 national championships SHOULD be above such silliness.

As an addendum, I think Crean does it because he sees it as a way of ensuring his own job security. I mean, how can you criticize a coach when his team just cut down nets? It's startling how many IU fans buy into these "accomplishments" hook, line, and sinker.

IMO, all this celebrating may very well end up coming back to bite them in the ass in the tournament because it contributes to the players having a false sense of accomplishment and feeling content because of that.

IU still has a decent shot to win it all, IMO, but it's looking right now like they peaked a couple months too soon.
    I'm embarrassed that IU fans are embarrassed by it. I think its hysterical that people take these things so seriously. I hope they do it more often. Maybe that can be their next recruiting tool. "At Indiana we cut down the nets after every win, or loss for that matter, because all games at Indiana are special...and we think you're pretty special. Here is the celebretory ring you will receive for signing your letter of intent."
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-06-2013),WMR (03-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I'm embarrassed that IU fans are embarrassed by it. I think its hysterical that people take these things so seriously. I hope they do it more often. Maybe that can be their next recruiting tool. "At Indiana we cut down the nets after every win, or loss for that matter, because all games at Indiana are special...and we think you're pretty special. Here is the celebretory ring you will receive for signing your letter of intent."
    Now I like that way of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post

Michigan-sending a boy to do a man's job, geesh

Michigan-sending a boy to do a man's job, geesh
    LOL......what did ya expect?

What a great coaching job my Matta the last half of the season. Yet another B10 tournament final for Bucks.

This team is playing some great basketball. Aaron Craft is amazing.

Turn Off Ads?