Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Nationals recall Bryce Harper

Re: Nationals recall Bryce Harper

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Because this is a Man's game. The things you mentioned don't take the physical maturity that it takes to drop bombs against MLB pitchers. 16 year old boys can't just walk in to the big leagues and start mashing.

A lot of 19 year olds hit the ball hard, but none are doing it in the big leagues, let alone as well as Harper. And almost none have done it as well as he has, ever.

Throughout writing this, I was wondering if you were being for real. I decided to continue answering as if you were. And trust me, Europeans get excited for young athletes too. Michael Owen was a sensation for the England soccer team at 18, they were "amazed" too.
    Yes, I was being for real. Just something I'm not that fascinated with. Its a special talent regardless of age to play MLB, that some guys develop early enough to enter the big leagues, or that they happen to be in the right situation where they get the chance early, just really isn't something that is any more impressive than any other rookie.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Harper and Trout are special talents, their ages highlight that fact considerably, every generation throws a couple of these guys in the mix, it's if they stick or not that will make them famous, not just getting here at this age

Harper won't hit free agency. The Nats will hand him an LTC before he even hits his arb years.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Harper won't hit free agency. The Nats will hand him an LTC before he even hits his arb years.
    But he is a Boras client. That's the problem. Boras clients you know, don't do such fair exchanges
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

They'll pretty much offer Harper a Johnny Bench deal: "Here's a signed contract. You fill in what you think you're worth."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    They'll pretty much offer Harper a Johnny Bench deal: "Here's a signed contract. You fill in what you think you're worth."
    I think there is some doubt that Harper/Boras will sign a LTC before hitting free-agency. Boras probably sees Harper as a guy that can once again to raise the bar for $$ and length of contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Wow. Can you imagine? My thought was they would have to pick one or the other to build around.

? If The Reds can afford to keep Votto and Phillips.....I am sure that Washington will have enough money to keep both of those guys. It will be a little more ...of course but you make it sound like Washington is San Diego or Pittsburgh in regards to market and money.

But he is a Boras client. That's the problem. Boras clients you know, don't do such fair exchanges
    OK...well there is the kicker and I did not know that. Boras is a grade A D Bag....who does what he is paid to do yes....but has never struck me as someone who likes the game or cares about it's health. Just some frustrated ex-minor leaguer who has had an ax to grind with owners and MLB for a while. He always wants to find the loopholes in drafts (Travis Lee among others) and have his players be grossly overpaid and owners bidding against themselves (Forget Alex Rodriguez...look at Darren Driefort)

Yes I do not like the guy.

Scott Boras is the only man in baseball's vast fraternity that I HATE.

I am hoping Harper takes the $300 million dollar offer over 10 years the Nats probably give in two years when he's just 21and signs it; but I could see greedy Boras wanting more.... he is that kind of class-A jerk who ruins the innocent game.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0

Scott Boras is the only man in baseball's vast fraternity that I HATE.

I am hoping Harper takes the $300 million dollar offer over 10 years the Nats probably give in two years when he's just 21and signs it; but I could see greedy Boras wanting more.... he is that kind of class-A jerk who ruins the innocent game.
    Pretty sure agents aren't included in any baseball fraternity

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Pretty sure agents aren't included in any baseball fraternity
    Just meant figure surrounding the game in any facet.

Here's a question for you RZoners on young Harper:

I spent Memorial day in Jersey with my in-laws who are all huge Yankee fans and got into a debate with them about something I value your opinion on so I wanted to get your take on something.

Anyone think the Nationals organization will be able to keep Harper in Washington long-term beyond his arbitration years when the time comes? I know players rarely play their entire career in one city but hoping he's there at least until he's 32 or 33 (no offense to your Yankees fans like my in-laws). Some Nats fans seem to think he is gone when his rookie deal expires in 2018 (still a long ways off), while a few I've talked to say the Nationals owner Lerner has the deepest pockets in baseball and no way he's outbid on Harper, regardless of if its the largest contract ever or not that Harper will command.
    I wanted to get a few more 'Zoners takes on this before the thread dies forever.

Washington will undoubtedly try to sign him and they probably have the resources to make him a very attractive offer. What we don't know is what is in Harper's head/heart and how much influence Boras will have on his choice. He is poised to hit the open market in the prime of his career. Like ARod he could easily set a new bar for cost and length of contract. I'm pretty sure Scotty would like to make that happen, and Bryce himself may want to play on the biggest stage possible. Again I have no doubt that Washington will try and sign him, but both sides must be willing for it to happen.
    Last edited by puca; 06-05-2012 at 06:32 AM.

Nationals are rolling money. Their ownership has deep pockets, and if they experience sustained success, they will draw a ton. Given the new normal of apparently higher media monies available to teams (hence Votto's contract), yes, they can keep both if they want to. Easily.

I think the bigger question is "Can the Angels afford to keep Mike Trout?"

Turn Off Ads?