Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manchester United sign nine-year-old YouTube wonder kid

Senor Votto

Manchester United sign nine-year-old YouTube wonder kid

Manchester United sign nine-year-old YouTube wonder kid

By Simon Rabinovitch

LONDON, Aug 2 (Reuters) - Manchester United have signed a gifted nine-year-old after his grandfather sent the Premier League champions a DVD showcasing the boy's talents which has become a YouTube sensation.

Rhain Davis, who was born in England but has lived in Australia since the age of four, was hailed by the British press on Thursday as the next Wayne Rooney after the United striker.

The boy's dribbling and goalscoring prowess for an Under-10 side in Brisbane, Australia, feature in a four-minute YouTube clip, already viewed more than 800,000 times.

United confirmed the signing but played down the hype around Davis, who has moved back to Cheshire in northern England with his father, near the club's training ground.

"He's a member of our academy and we don't comment on individual members," a United spokesman told Reuters.

He added that the club sign about 40 players of Davis's age every year and, as is standard, will decide annually whether to renew his contract or release him.

What was so unusual in Davis's case was that his skills were brought to the attention of United's youth scouts by the DVD submission, which could inspire other hopefuls, the spokesman said.

"We're bracing ourselves for a whole series of DVDs," he added.

Davis has been thrilled at the chance to rub shoulders with some of his idols.

"The best part has been meeting lots of players like Wayne Rooney," he told British newspapers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Manchester United sign nine-year-old YouTube wonder kid

that was truly amazing
    Reds fan since 1970

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I now wonder how many mistaken hits RedsZone gets from across the pond...

Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

The kid is very impressive, but he needs to play against older/better opponents. He's worlds better than the kids he's up against in those DVDs, and playing against poor competition might hurt him in the long run. He can juke in place vs. the kids he's playing now, but he'll get his legs swept out from under him vs. older opponents.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

uoduck1017

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    but he'll get his legs swept out from under him vs. older opponents.
    You sound like Will Ferrell on Kicking and Screaming. On three...break someone's clavicle!

i read where they sign lots of under 18 yr olds to train at the team facility
    Reds fan since 1970

Quote Originally Posted by uoduck1017 View Post
    You sound like Will Ferrell on Kicking and Screaming. On three...break someone's clavicle!
    I dished out and received many leg sweeps when I played soccer as a kid.

There was a pro MISL team in Wichita (the Wings), and I attended a couple of their soccer camps. One day, I was playing against the son of one of the pros. The guy told me to play close to his son, bump him a few times, and generally hassle him. I did, and the kid ended up getting frustrated and pushing me down. Before I could get up and shove him back, the pro dashed out onto the field laughing. He took his son aside and said something like, "See, I told you you need to keep your head. This is how the pros play."
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 08-06-2007 at 01:13 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Senor Votto

Will Ferrell looks a lot like Adam Dunn

uoduck1017

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I dished out and received many leg sweeps when I played soccer as a kid.

There was a pro MISL team in Wichita (the Wings), and I attended a couple of their soccer camps. One day, I was playing against the son of one of the pros. The guy told me to play close to his son, bump him a few times, and generally hassle him. I did, and the kid ended up getting frustrated and pushing me down. Before I could get up and shove him back, the pro dashed out onto the field laughing. He took his son aside and said something like, "See, I told you you need to keep your head. This is how the pros play."
    You could look at it two ways. On one hand, you were pushed down for someone else's benefit. But on the other hand, you got to help a pro player, even though it was just for his son.

uoduck1017

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Absolutely. I wonder if they switched roles if anyone would notice?

You could look at it two ways. On one hand, you were pushed down for someone else's benefit. But on the other hand, you got to help a pro player, even though it was just for his son.
    Actually, the guy's son had a nice collegiate career and is currently an NCAA women's soccer coach.

http://lionathletics.cstv.com/sports...er_neil00.html

I keep seeing this story popping up on line about this 5 year old tennis whiz and about how he may be the future of tennis. Now I read something like this and I wonder why can't we let these kids grow up?

A month or two ago I saw USC basketball coach Tim Floyd being taken to task for getting an oral commitment from a 9th grader to play basketball at USC. Tell me how that is so much more wrong than a 9 year old being signed by a pro soccer team or hyping a 5 year old kid?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I think he looks like Josh-Hamilton-meets-George-W.-Bush.

I think he looks more like the drummer from the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Turn Off Ads?