Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Yasiel Puig

Re: Yasiel Puig

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    This is the most impressive player I've seen come into this league in a decade. He hits a lot like Manny after watching him extensively but plays harder than Ramirez did and has more speed and a better arm and might end up being a gold glove defender.

I am more impressed by Puig then I was of Harper, Heyward, J. Upton, any number of big prospects that have came into the league and everything I read was that he was a decent but not all-world prospect. The scouts weren't favorable enough to him in my opinion. He's a guy who could be a 30-40 home run guy and hit .330 with 30 steals during his peak I think. As the years go on and he develops discipline I think he's going to walk more and be a .900 OPS bat.

I think the Dodgers win the World Series this year or at least reach it because of this guy mainly. Don Mattingly probably wouldn't have a job right now without him.
    So are you projecting him to be the best player to have entered MLB in the past 10 years when it's all said and done?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Puig's stirkeouts outnumber his walks almost 3:1. He swings and misses at nearly one out of every five pitches thrown to him. And is his isolated power is a decent but not great .213.

I don't mind being a broken record, but when his .425 BABIP normalizes next year or whenever, he's going to look like just another free swinger with some tools.
    But when you have the best of 1 tool....you become exciting

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So are you projecting him to be the best player to have entered MLB in the past 10 years when it's all said and done?
    I didn't read it that way.....I read it as what we've seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    No, not that time, last week Mattingly yanked him in the 5th (i think...), but never said exactly why, just that it was a "team internal issue".

I heard he's got a prima donna attitude that they're trying to rein in.
    They showed the highlights of it. Puig was furious about something that happened earlier in the game and kept catching the balls in RF with angry body language and eventually Mattingly pulled him.

He reminds me a bit of this guy, for obvious reasons.

2012: .292/.356/.505, 8.0 BB%, 18.9 K%, .326 BABIP
    2103: .231/.290/.426, 7.1 BB%, 23.7 K%, .263 BABIP
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I do notice that Puig seems to be walking more than when he initially came up, and has continued hitting the ball with authority, and does have legit power.

The peripherals suggest that he really hasn't been very good, but I have been impressed from watching him. Although he is obviously going to regress, I think he is going to be able to make the next adjustment to get to the next level that Frenchy could never get to.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    He reminds me a bit of this guy, for obvious reasons.

2012: .292/.356/.505, 8.0 BB%, 18.9 K%, .326 BABIP
    2103: .231/.290/.426, 7.1 BB%, 23.7 K%, .263 BABIP
    I had to cheat but yeah, that is a great comp.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?