Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 EPL Thread

Re: 2012-2013 EPL Thread

Champions League is back.

Arsenal come from behind to beat Montpellier 2-1 on the road.

City went up twice against Real Madird only to lose 3-2. Ronaldo scored the winner. Can't wait to watch that one later. I hope the hang over from that loss lasts all the way until Sunday

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Madrid-City score may have been 3-2, but there was an ocean between them in terms of controlling the game. City may be frustrated it didn't get a smash-and-grab win, but Madrid played them out of their socks for most of the game.

The matches between City and Dortmund are going to determine how that group shakes out. And I highly recommend watching the German league. I think it's the most entertaining league on the planet at the moment.

Anderlecht getting draw at Milan was a bit of stunner. I'm expecting Chelsea to roll on Juve (the Italian league is turning into a shambles).

Arsenal looks legit (hooray Spanish midfielders - speaking of which did you see QPR's Esteban Granero boss the game against Chelsea this past weekend).

Everton is my pick for surprise team this season. Usually they get off to a horrible start, but so far they're doing all right. If they can hang in the top half of the table the next two months, they'll be plenty dangerous during their usual winter-spring surge.
    Last edited by M2; 09-19-2012 at 03:36 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Anyone watching the Everton v. Swansea match? My favorite things so far:
    -Fellaini is a monster and some big clubs will be chasing him in the January transfer window.
    -Roger Bennett from the Men in Blazers podcast calls Swansea the Welsh Barcelona (but I haven't seen it yet)
    -Please research the Thai Airways logo. It shows up on the advertising boards around the pitch. It is an outstanding.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

For the first time, Everton is not massively struggling with injuries. They've got a very good team in all areas. Top 6 for sure, possibly higher if other teams don't live up to expectations.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Soooo. ....when Pretty Boy was at man U.... SIR Alexis had no problem cajoling and complaining about Ronaldo being hit too hard and the refs needed to call it.

He was and he deserved to have some calls sure....but then it became just an issue of him diving. Of course.... when it's the other team doing it, well it is a disgrace. That late penalty call was garbage but that is what Man U seems to look for and get when they have nothing else.....and they do get it. Valencia was going down before contact even came. You are going to call that...you could have called it on Suarez and Sterling too, and do not give me that BS rep stuff either. You cal it ....as it is and as it happens.

You can joke about Italian soccer scandals but the refs in the EPL know who's arse to shine for.

NBC just won the exclusive rights to broadcast the EPL for the next 3 seasons. Sounds like they are going to pump NBC and NBC Sports full of games and do a lot of cross promotional stuff with the MLS. I'm happy for this because as a DirectTV subscriber I had to pay extra for Fox Soccer and I don't for NBC Sports.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    NBC just won the exclusive rights to broadcast the EPL for the next 3 seasons. Sounds like they are going to pump NBC and NBC Sports full of games and do a lot of cross promotional stuff with the MLS. I'm happy for this because as a DirectTV subscriber I had to pay extra for Fox Soccer and I don't for NBC Sports.
    Fox Soccer is doomed when you also consider the beIN Sport deals. The only thing they have left is sub-licensed Scottish matches, a few MLS games a week and international qualifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Fox Soccer is doomed when you also consider the beIN Sport deals. The only thing they have left is sub-licensed Scottish matches, a few MLS games a week and international qualifiers.
    Don't they still have the Champions League? It isn't a consistent event, but it might keep them afloat.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Could Fox soccer get the Spanish League? Italian league? German league?

On a side note, the path NBC is going down certainly is interesting. They have horse racing, Sunday Night Football, and a few NHL games, and now the EPL. With the exception of the Olympics and a 8 ND football games a year they are more of a nitch network.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

On a side note, the path NBC is going down certainly is interesting. They have horse racing, Sunday Night Football, and a few NHL games, and now the EPL. With the exception of the Olympics and a 8 ND football games a year they are more of a nitch network.
    Don't forget round the clock Tour de France coverage and a whole bunch of fishing.

I actually like their strategy. It is pretty niche, but for the most part they have sports that have a very loyal following and also tend to be followed by people with higher incomes. That is good stuff for advertisers.

I believe beIn Sports has the bid for the Spain and Italy, not sure about Germany.

Nitch?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Nitch?
    Make fun of the kid who can spell!

The Spanish, Italian and French leagues are on beIN Sport for the forseeable future. The Bundesliga is on Gol TV through 2015. Fox might be able to purchase some games from the rights holders but Al Jazeera has been pretty firm in saying they won't sell any games and NBC seems to be taking the same stance on MLS matches. The Champions League might help Fox somewhat but I don't think it can sustain them for long.

Turn Off Ads?