Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hall Voters Shouldn't Be Responsible For Cleaning Up MLB's Mess

Hall Voters Shouldn't Be Responsible For Cleaning Up MLB's Mess

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/stor...g-up-mlbs-mess

We're looking at a Hall of Fame that will not include a 7 time Cy Young Award Winner, a 7 time MVP Award Winner, the single season homerun leader, the career homerun leader, four of the top ten homerun leaders of all time...

Whatever the reason, that's no Hall of Fame. These guys hold the records, unless the commissioner wants to remove their numbers, and he's made no indication that he'd be willing to do that.

Perhaps it would make sense to induct them all at the same time. Let's have the steroid induction ceremony. Let's allow them to speak publicly about their "accomplishments" at Cooperstown before the press and fans and let's move on from this.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hall Voters Shouldn't Be Responsible For Cleaning Up MLB's Mess

He forgot the All-Time Hits leader. Or did the commissioner remove that record?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Also the all time singles leader, all time AB's leader, 1st in PA's, Games played, 2nd in all-time doubles, 6th in runs scored. Nah, he's not a player that needs to be remembered in a baseball museum. *rolls eyes*

The HoF is going to look VERY idiotic in the next couple of years. Clemens & Bonds are just going to make what has been a mockery of a hall of fame just that more obvious.

A HOF voter tweeted yesterday an excellent point. There is something wrong with the process where Bob Costas can't vote for the HOF but there is a blogger who blogs about the NY Rangers that has the ability to vote for the baseball Hall of Fame. It's almost insane.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    The HoF is going to look VERY idiotic in the next couple of years. Clemens & Bonds are just going to make what has been a mockery of a hall of fame just that more obvious.
    Exactly! I don't know if I would put Pete on the same stage as the steroid users, but they should all be in the Hall of Fame. I didn't use to feel that way, but I've come around in the last year.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Hall of Fame? Try Hall of Guys-Who-Were-Fun-To-Write-About-Now-Get-Off-My-Lawn"
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

JMO, but I am glad that these guys are being kept out.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

I agree about putting them in. The Hall of Fame is single handily ripping away all of my childhood hero's and sending them to oblivion.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    JMO, but I am glad that these guys are being kept out.
    pretty much, yeah. Its not much of a punishment, but it is at least something.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Leave 'em out. It at least keep the debate current and casts a shadow on the cheaters. That in turn helps keep TODAY's games cleaner, which to me is the more important thing.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

For you older guys, think about the anger you feel about Pete Rose not getting in the Hall of Fame. Now times it by an era.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

It is kind of ridiculous to have a Hall of Fame that leaves out some of the most famous players of all time. Leaving them out of the HoF just hurts the fans. Elect the cheaters into a new Steroids wing of the Hall. Make sure that the fans of the future are aware that their stats were tainted by usage of PEDs. A museum has the mission to educate. Simply excluding these players hides the truth. The fact is that MLB allowed these players to cheat even though we were all aware it was going on. MLB reaped the benefits for many years and now wants to blame it solely on the players instead of accepting any responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    For you older guys, think about the anger you feel about Pete Rose not getting in the Hall of Fame. Now times it by an era.
    Im 43, not a huge Pete fan but at one time I was livid he was not in the Hall of Fame. However as I have gotten older and looked at the big picture I could really care less that he is not in the HOF. In fact from my experiences on this board, most (not all) of the "older guys" tend to side with me.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Add me to the list of those who believe Rose and the steroid users should be kept out.

I'm 37. The era of players who are up for election now are the 'heroes' of my childhood. I'm not sure I love the heroes terminolgy, but its the word being used by others here so I'll use it too.

I'm not the least bit miffed that Mac, Sosa, Bonds, Clemens, etc are being kept out. Were they a lot of fun to watch? You bet your Mitchell and Ness they were. I attended a game a half dozen or so years ago in which Clemens started the game with Bagwell at first, Kent at second, Biggio in the OF, Larkin at SS for the Reds and Junior in the OF. I was sure I was looking at 6 future HoFers. Now....I'm not so sure. Larkin yes, Junior yes. I think Biggio gets in. Kent too. But Bags and Clemens, no.

The Hall of Fame is arbitrary no question. But for me it still holds an honor and a sense of pride for players and their fans. I do not want Larkin being put into the Hall in some 'steroid era' wing. Barry Larkin is one of the guys I wanted to be when I grew up. I idolized him at 13, 14, 15. I would be far angrier if he were just lumped in with these guys who we know cheated. I don't care if Barry Bonds would have been a HoFer without the PEDs. I don't care that Clemens was a phenom even before Brian McNamee came along. These guys didn't earn the second half of their careers. Larkin did, injuries and all. Junior did, injuries and all.

Keep em out.

Don't even let them come visit.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?