Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Encarnacion's attitude impresses; position change in EdE's future??

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Encarnacion's attitude impresses; position change in EdE's future??

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...T04/705120373/

LOS ANGELES - Reds officials hoped Edwin Encarnacion would report for his minor-league assignment Thursday, and the third baseman did.

Optioned to Triple-A Louisville before the Reds played at Great American Ball Park, Encarnacion started at third base for the Bats on Thursday and went 2-for-4 with a run.

"It is very, very rare for a player to be sent out and report and play the very same day," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "That says a great deal about Edwin Encarnacion."

The Reds sent Encarnacion to Louisville after he batted .218 with one home run, 14 RBI and six errors.

The possibility of getting less playing time during the team's current road trip also factored in the decision.

"A guy that drove in (72) runs last year, with the numbers he had, he's going to be a good major-league hitter," Narron said. "There is no doubt in my mind about it. If he is not, he will have no one to blame but himself."

Encarnacion hit .276 with 15 homers and 33 doubles and had 25 errors in the field.

Narron indicated there has been some discussion about trying Encarnacion at first base. The 24-year-old made one start and one extra-inning appearance at first base last season.

"He even took some fly balls in the outfield last year," Narron said. "He's played some games at first base. A big part of it is if he hits. If he hits the way he's capable of hitting, that whole thing about finding a place to play will be true."
    I think they like his bat a lot, they just couldn't live with his arm at 3B. It will be interesting to see which position he plays at Louisville...so far, it's been 3B.
    sorry we're boring

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Encarnacion's attitude impresses; position change in EdE's future??

I guess I don't understand the position change chatter. OF is full, now (Dunn, Jr., Freel, Hobbs) and in the future (Hobbs, Bruce, Stubbs, Dunn? Jr.? Freel?), and Votto will be here real soon at 1b. The solution is to help him and help themselves be comfortable with him at 3b.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    The solution is to help him and help themselves be comfortable with him at 3b.
    well, that would work out best for everyone, if he can make the throw. I think his glove and his range are fine.

Maybe they have worked with him so much, and this is all he has? Some very good ballplayers have struggled with making even simpler throws from 2B- Steve Sax and Chuck Knoblough come to mind.
    sorry we're boring

Agreed....all of our prospects are Votto and the crew in the OF.

We have nothing at 3rd in the near future and only Freel could be considered half-way credible and even Freel has his personal set of issues.

If EE isn't considered a 3B of the future, then trade him out for some pitching or another 3B and build a team.

Senor Votto

There's no room for him in the outfield. Joey Votto will be up next year and he'll be first base. Edwin stays at 3rd base

Just trade Encarnacion if they have plans of moving him to another position.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Just trade Encarnacion if they have plans of moving him to another position.
    Why?

If they move him to 1st ala Tony Perez, Danny Driessen, it does not mean he has to play it all the time, but he can play it against LH's and then Freel and he can both play IF if they have to, multiple position players are a bonus IMO, and if the guy has a good bat it's just more gravy on the meat as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Why?

If they move him to 1st ala Tony Perez, Danny Driessen, it does not mean he has to play it all the time, but he can play it against LH's and then Freel and he can both play IF if they have to, multiple position players are a bonus IMO, and if the guy has a good bat it's just more gravy on the meat as far as I'm concerned.
    Because Joey Votto is the first baseman of the future for this ballclub and the closest third baseman we have in the minors is Juan Francisco - and while he is a stud, he's still three or four years away from the majors. The Reds need to let EdE stick it out at 3B and watch him develop into one of the upper tier of 3B in the league. He's got the talent to do so, he's just simply struggling right now. His stats last year back me up on that.

Why?

If they are comfortable with EE at 1B and can flip Votto for a near MLB ready 3B that is equal to or greater than EE then have at it.

I'm not attached to any of these guy, just the fading hope that I may see a good Reds team on the field again in my lifetime.

The Reds need to let EdE stick it out at 3B and watch him develop into one of the upper tier of 3B in the league. He's got the talent to do so, he's just simply struggling right now. His stats last year back me up on that.
    What happens if he goes all Tony Perez in the field? While I want EE to play 3rd (no Reds position is so historically poorly represented as 3rd) I also know that he's erratic at 3rd and he's got a quick RH bat, if I want that bat more I find ways to lessen his defensive strain (and the one he occasionally causes the team) It's not a demotion, it's another door opening for opportunity. If he's an elite 3rd sacker then he will grab it, they want him to (ducks for the 10'000 posts saying the contrary) As for the only replacement being in low minors.... there's a whole world of baseball outside of the Reds system and I'm certain that if pressed they'd look around there for a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    If they are comfortable with EE at 1B and can flip Votto for a near MLB ready 3B that is equal to or greater than EE then have at it.
    Yep. I think EE's going to be move to another position, I just don't know where.

When you look at what we have in the majors right now, we have Dunn and Griffey corning the outfield. Unless we plan on trading one of them, I don't move him to OF. At first base, we have Hatteberg, Conine, and Votto. Hatteberg and Conine will most likely be gone after this year, but we have Votto. I personally feel EE would be a really good defensive 1st baseman, but then you block Votto. I have no idea how EE would do in the outfiled.

Right now, EE's quickest ticket back to Cinicinnati is at 3rd base where we have Freel, Castro, and Keppinger. Leave him there for now. If we are out of the race and we trade Griffey and/or Dunn or trade Hatteberg and Conine and you want him to play the OF or 1B for the last few months of the year then that's ok too.

It's only a matter of time before Edwin starts hitting. He'll start mudering the ball in AAA, and he'll be up here. I'll be VERY surprised if he's still in AAA come June 10th.

And does it surprise anyone EE has a good attitude? All we read about last year was how he worked his butt off to try to improve his defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

What happens if he goes all Tony Perez in the field? While I want EE to play 3rd (no Reds position is so historically poorly represented as 3rd) I also know that he's erratic at 3rd and he's got a quick RH bat, if I want that bat more I find ways to lessen his defensive strain (and the one he occasionally causes the team) It's not a demotion, it's another door opening for opportunity. If he's an elite 3rd sacker then he will grab it, they want him to (ducks for the 10'000 posts saying the contrary) As for the only replacement being in low minors.... there's a whole world of baseball outside of the Reds system and I'm certain that if pressed they'd look around there for a solution.
    If his struggles on defensive are affecting his offensive production, then he needs to switch positions now. His bat is too important for the Reds for him to A. be slumping because of defense and B. be in AAA.

If he's learning a new position in AAA for 2-4 weeks, then so be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Good hitting, young third basemen are a hard find in MLB right now. I think they will hope his hitting improves and try to teach him better defense. He will never be great but maybe tolerable, similar to Dunn in left. THe only question is how many tolerable defensive players can we play at once?

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    There's no room for him in the outfield. Joey Votto will be up next year and he'll be first base. Edwin stays at 3rd base
    Plenty of room in the OF, his bat just doesn't play as well there.

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    Good hitting, young third basemen are a hard find in MLB right now. I think they will hope his hitting improves and try to teach him better defense. He will never be great but maybe tolerable, similar to Dunn in left. THe only question is how many tolerable defensive players can we play at once?
    the answer is likely four as the Reds started the year with Dunn, Jr, EE and Hatty at the 4 least important defensive positions. None of those four are even average.

Turn Off Ads?