LR Micah Owings
    MR Logan Ondrusek (or) Enerio Del Rosario
    MR Daniel Ray Herrera
    MR Jared Burton
    7th Arthur Rhodes
    8th Nick Masset
    CL Francisco Cordero

Deals:

* Aaron Harang to the Angels for Macier Izturus and a prospect(s). Not sure it's wise, but I think they will deal either BA or AH by the start of Spring Training and I've got a feeling that it will be Harang. Izturus fills the SS hole.

* Dealing Harang (or Arroyo) would leave a huge hole in the rotation. If it happens, I could see a deal built around Francisco or Alonso for a young starter

Dreams:

* Mark DeRosa - Jocketty wanted DeRosa before he went to the Cards and gets him this time. his versatility makes him valuable on a short bench and he can serve as a backup to Votto. (Reality: Frazier offers the same qualities for less money and earns a surprising spot with a hot spring)

* Justin Duchscherer - great fit, but will never happen (Reality: Justin Lehr, Matt Maloney, low rent journeyman or young acquisition)

Surprises:

* Frazier (see above)

* Travis Wood - Wood comes to camp and shows the same ability to get batters out and the fact that he throws lefty (not to mention the lack of candidates for the 4th & 5th rotation spots) lands him a chance.

* Logan Ondrusek or Enerio Del Rosario - there's always a surprise in the pen and I'm guessing its one of these two for the last spot

Prayer: a way out of town for WT
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-24-2009 at 03:09 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2010 Roster WAG

I'll play along

Catcher:
    Ramon Hernandez
    Ryan Hanigan

Hernandez returns as the vet, unless he gets injured he will be the opening day starter. Hanigan may get a few more starts than he did last year early, but I expect Duhhhsty to return to his norm.

Infield:
    1b Joey Votto
    2b Brandon Phillips
    3b Scott Rolen
    SS Paul Janish

The FO isnt going to make that big "splash" ss and just return with what we ended the year with.

UT Jerry Hairston
    UT Drew Sutton
    3b Adam Rosales

Strikes the fear of God in no one, except Reds fans as Duhhhsty will try to find as many ABs for Hairston as possible.

Outfielders:
    RF Jay Bruce
    CF Willie Tavares
    LF Chris Dickerson
    Wald Balentien
    Laynce Nix

I just cannot shake the feeling that any sort of stumble by Stubbs, Francisco, and Heisey will result in Duhhsty saying "they need more time" and sticking with lesser players such as Tavares, Nix, and even Balentien.

Rotation:
    1 Aaron Harang (Respect dude)
    2 Bronson Arroyo (If Cueto has a good spring he gets it)
    3 Johnny Cueto (Depending on springs)
    4 Homer Bailey
    5 Micah Owings (gotta maximize his options with the bat dude!)/ Justin Lehr

Pen:
    Closer: Francisco Cordero (will be SHOCKED if he gets traded)

Setup:
    Arthur Rhodes
    Nick Massett

Middle Relief:
    Mike Lincoln (if healthy)
    Danny Ray Herrera
    Matt Maloney

Lincoln gets an opportunity to "knock off the rust", if he isnt healthy I expect Fischer or Burton to take his place in the pen. Fischer still has options I believe. Sutton will probably be the first one sent to AAA if we need another pitcher or a quick turn around starter from Louisville.

Louisville remains one of the best AAA teams in the entire class. Some mistake them as a Major League team as the Reds struggle to score runs and the pitching staff has to be near perfect in order to win as a bad situation is made worse by Duhhhsty's special.

CF Tavares
    SS Hairston/Janish
    1b Votto (with fewer RBI opportunities and pitched around more)
    2b Phillips
    3b Rolen (can he stay healthy and refind the power?)
    RF Bruce
    CA Hernandez (Will the knees hold up?)
    LF Dickerson (playing out of position for the same lesser player... AGAIN)
    Last edited by Slyder; 12-26-2009 at 04:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post

Rotation:
    1 Aaron Harang (Respect dude)
    No disrespect meant toward Aaron. I'd keep him, but I think the FO will move either Aaron or Bronson. Something tells me it will be Harang.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

FYI: Justin D. re-signed with the A's earlier this week.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

My Turn. This isn't creative, but the most I see happening is Taveras and Lincoln being dealt for a PTBNL or DFA in the spring. At the deadline one of Harang or Arroyo is dealt with Volquez coming off the DL to take the spot. The Reds will win 74 games with this roster. DL Stints will get Heisey, Alonso and some of the relievers a look at some point, but they won't get an extended look until late in the year when maybe Rhodes, Burton, Bray, Balentien and Nix are dealt or cut loose. Thought is given to a Heisey/Dickerson platoon in LF, but the Reds go with Balentien so Heisey can play every day at AAA.

SP1 Harang
    SP2 Cueto
    SP3 Arroyo
    SP4 Bailey
    SP5 Maloney
    SW Owings
    LHRP Bray
    LHRP Herrera
    RHRP Burton
    LHSU Rhodes
    RHSU Masset
    CLO Cordero
    C Hernandez
    C Hanigan
    1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    SS Janish
    3B Rolen
    LF Dickerson
    CF Stubbs
    RF Bruce
    OF Balentien
    OF Nix
    UI Rosales
    UI Sutton
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think that between the two of Slyder and mth123 that they have it covered, barring any major positive surprises in roster changes or present player improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    OF Balentien
    OF Nix
    UI Rosales
    UI Sutton
    Ouch. Let's hope not.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    My Turn. This isn't creative, but the most I see happening is Taveras and Lincoln being dealt for a PTBNL or DFA in the spring. At the deadline one of Harang or Arroyo is dealt with Volquez coming off the DL to take the spot. The Reds will win 74 games with this roster. DL Stints will get Heisey, Alonso and some of the relievers a look at some point, but they won't get an extended look until late in the year when maybe Rhodes, Burton, Bray, Balentien and Nix are dealt or cut loose. Thought is given to a Heisey/Dickerson platoon in LF, but the Reds go with Balentien so Heisey can play every day at AAA.

SP1 Harang
    SP2 Cueto
    SP3 Arroyo
    SP4 Bailey
    SP5 Maloney
    SW Owings
    LHRP Bray
    LHRP Herrera
    RHRP Burton
    LHSU Rhodes
    RHSU Masset
    CLO Cordero
    C Hernandez
    C Hanigan
    1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    SS Janish
    3B Rolen
    LF Dickerson
    CF Stubbs
    RF Bruce
    OF Balentien
    OF Nix
    UI Rosales
    UI Sutton
    yep. pretty much agree here. couple of comments.

Is Bray healthy? I think we'll see Fisher as the 13th arm in the pen.

I too suspect Balentien makes the team out of spring training instead of Heisey. Hesiey has those beloved options. I do however think Heisey can win the LF job with a good spring.

Nix - I agree that he makes the squad as 5th OF or part of a platoon in LF

The team will likely look radically different in the 2nd half. Volquez's hopefull return plus the kids from AAA pushing themselves onto the team could mean a sale of both vets (Harang, Arroyo, Cordero, Rhodes, Phillips) as well as floatsom (Nix, Balentien,etc). I do however holdout hope that this pitching & defense team can hang tough in the dreadfull NL Central.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    The team will likely look radically different in the 2nd half. Volquez's hopefull return plus the kids from AAA pushing themselves onto the team could mean a sale of both vets (Harang, Arroyo, Cordero, Rhodes, Phillips) as well as floatsom (Nix, Balentien,etc).I do however holdout hope that this pitching & defense team can hang tough in the dreadfull NL Central.

I know I would feel pretty good about this year if we had a healthy Volquez coming of a good 2009.His injury and the fact that he will miss at least the first 4 months of the season hurts our chances dramatically.

Volquez
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Bailey

If these are the five guys in the rotation for the month of September I'll predict that the Reds win the Central.

Infield - Votto Phillips Rolen Janish Rosales Sutton - needs one good addition.
    Outfield - Bruce, Balentien, Stubbs, Dickerson - fifth outielder Heisey, Nix, or Taveras.
    Catcher - Hernandez, Hanigan
    Additional utility - Francisco could make team as IF-OF instead of one other bench guys.

SP-Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, Cueto - Maloney favorite for fifth spot with Lehr and Wood in running.

BP - Coco, Massett, Burton, Herrera, Owings, Rhodes, Fisher - Fisher spot not a lock, rookie or new guy or Bray/Lincoln could replace him.

Possible moves -- add an infielder, add a fifth starter, add one reliever.
    Unlikely move -- add a major hitter for LF.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-27-2009 at 09:36 AM.

Turn Off Ads?