Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: (Official) Strong Opinions Thread

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    What's a "spurtsm"? Are those some new types of slacks?
    I don't know, but don't Google it (at least at work, anyway.)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: (Official) Strong Opinions Thread

Even after this week, I am still convinced the Reds are the best team in baseball.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Dusty is quoted by Fay..... We need to find ways to get Broxton in the game more.

I mean....is he obtuse to the fact he is the reason he is not being used more? Does anyone not ask him this? Are they afraid he will get defensive? He is the one who will only use him in the 8th inning with the lead...and he wonders why?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Team e.r.a. = Reds 23rd in all of MLB.
    Team batting average = Reds 18th in all of MLB.

Hitting. Reds are in 2nd place having struck out 105 times. Astros hitters have struck out 113 times. Not good when you're striking out almost as much as the Astros.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Even after this week, I am still convinced the Reds are the best team in baseball.
    You must have slept in a Holiday Inn last night.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    You must have slept in a Holiday Inn last night.
    I was looking for the smilie with the drummer and rim shot. They don't have one.

But good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Dusty is quoted by Fay..... We need to find ways to get Broxton in the game more.

I mean....is he obtuse to the fact he is the reason he is not being used more? Does anyone not ask him this? Are they afraid he will get defensive? He is the one who will only use him in the 8th inning with the lead...and he wonders why?
    This is as close as Baker gets to admitting fault. He understands that he is the one who has not used Broxton regularly enough, and using the "royal we" here. I read this as Baker saying that from now on, Broxton will be used in innings other than the 8th.

Getting back to the thread topic:

1. Reds will be just fine, definitely still one of the best teams in baseball.
    2. Chris Heisey should not be a starter for a contending team, even as an injury fill-in.

I'd let Xavier Paul get most of the starts over the next few weeks, certainly against all RHP. By May 1, if the Reds aren't getting at least a .730 OPS from LF, they need to make a move. The offense is anemic, and we can't afford to have Choo playing CF (defensively) if we are not going to get the boost from the offense (LF specifically).
    Go BLUE!!!

Strong Opinion>

If the basis of your strong opinion is based on batting average and strikeouts, I'm going to ignore your strong opinion.

David Schoenfield expresses a strong opinion about the managerial choices last night. I tend to agree with him:

It's simple: You have one of the biggest weapons in the game in Chapman. USE HIM. LET THE MAN GET FOUR OUTS. Arroyo was having a fine game. Terrific, go out, tell him he pitched great, pat him on the butt and tell him to give you the ball. Arroyo can give up home runs (26 last year, 46 the year before). Utley can still hit 'em out of the park. Left-handed batters hit .108 against Chapman last year. They struck out in more than half their plate appearances. As Willie Stargell once said about Sandy Koufax, it's like trying to drink coffee with a fork.
    Whatever you want to call it, this absurdity of not using your best reliever for more than three outs is growing to epic levels of idiocy. You'd think that after losing a lead in the eighth inning on Sunday, as Baker allowed by leaving in Jonathan Broxton to give up six runs, and giving up the go-ahead run in the seventh inning on Friday and Saturday, Baker would be sufficiently desperate for a win.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

12. Likes:

TSJ55 (04-16-2013)

This is as close as Baker gets to admitting fault. He understands that he is the one who has not used Broxton regularly enough, and using the "royal we" here. I read this as Baker saying that from now on, Broxton will be used in innings other than the 8th.
    I think you're right.

And even moreso, I HOPE you're right.

After watching the Pirates backup catcher swing the wrecking ball with two bombs in a weekend game it's further reinforcement to me that Hanigan is not a #1 catcher. Sure, he offers great defense and deft handling of the staff but even when he is hitting well and getting on base, he is still hardly a #1 catcher. Even when he swings for the fences, he has only warning track power.
    Just an opinion......as the thread states.
    Last edited by holster10; 04-16-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    David Schoenfield expresses a strong opinion about the managerial choices last night. I tend to agree with him:
    Strong opinion:

David Schoenfield is a joke of a journalist, and that article was childish.

16. Likes:

marcshoe (04-16-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Team e.r.a. = Reds 23rd in all of MLB.
    Team batting average = Reds 18th in all of MLB.

Hitting. Reds are in 2nd place having struck out 105 times. Astros hitters have struck out 113 times. Not good when you're striking out almost as much as the Astros.
    Hitting: The Reds are tied for 2nd in the NL (3rd in MLB) in scoring runs, which, presumably, is more important than batting average.

18. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (04-16-2013),Nasty_Boy (04-16-2013),Raisor (04-16-2013),TRF (04-16-2013)

Strong opinion:

David Schoenfield is a joke of a journalist, and that article was childish.
    That's more name-calling than it is an opinion. Care to back it up with proof, because we've got an entire thread going of strong opinions that back him up. Consensus on RedsZone right now is (pretty much) with Schoenfield.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?