Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pollack broke his neck in the Bengals game yesterday

Retired

Pollack broke his neck in the Bengals game yesterday

From the sound of it he's VERY lucky he's only wearing a halo right now. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...80019/-1/CINCI

BY MARK CURNUTTE | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
    David Pollack will be placed on the injured reserve list, which ends his season as a player, after breaking his neck during the Bengals game Sunday.

The second-year linebacker suffered a severe neck trauma when he hit Browns running back Reuben Droughns in the shoulder pad with the top of his helmet early in the first quarter.

Center Rich Braham (deep left knee bruise) and strong safety Dexter Jackson (right ankle sprain) will miss the game Sunday at Pittsburgh but are likely to return later in the season.

Until then, second-year lineman Eric Ghiaciuc will start at center. And Kevin Kaesviharn will join Madieu Williams as the Bengals safeties.

The Steelers will play at Jacksonville tonight.

Pollack spent the night at University Hospital.

Earlier today, Pollack’s wife, Lindsey Pollack, posted an e-mail on Cincinnati.Com’s Bengals blog.

She writes:

“I first want to thank everyone for all of your thoughts and prayers for Davey. It means so much to both of us to know that you are thinking of him.

“I know you are all probably hearing all sorts of things. We have been overwhelmed with phone calls, text messages and e-mails, so I apologize for not getting back to some of you sooner. I just wanted to give everyone a brief update before I head back to the hospital.

“Davey did break his neck. I hate how that sounds, though. He fractured his C-6, for those of you who know what that is, but he is so blessed to have feeling everywhere! The doctors have put him in a Halo brace to stabilize him. He is able to move from the chest down, so he can sit up (and) eat, walk, etc. Right now we are just in a waiting period.

“We won't know for a little bit whether surgery has to be an option or not. We are hopeful that he won't have to have surgery and that he will be able to wear the brace and the bone repair itself. We just have to wait and see how his neck responds to the Halo for the next week or so.

“I wish I had more to tell, but that is where we are now. We are hoping he can come home in the next couple of days.

“On a lighter note... Davey is in wonderful spirits! He is joking with all the nurses and keeping everyone laughing still. He has a wonderful perspective on things and he has just been solid! He amazes me more each and every day! Please continue to say your prayers please!

“He will be at University Hospital at least until tonight. I will be there all day, so I won't be able to respond to emails. I will continue to keep you updated as I am able! We love you all so much and are so blessed to have your friendship and support!

“We both know that God's hand is in this and He has a great plan than either of us know. We are both leaning on Him right now to guide us through this time and our decisions. He has blessed us with each and every one of you in our lives and for that we are grateful. Love, Lindsey”

Enquirer.com will update this story after coach Marvin Lewis holds a 3 p.m. new s conference.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Pollack broke his neck in the Bengals game yesterday

Is this going to happen every year?

I have never seen a team so jinxed.

Draft 'em high, out for the year after year.

Oh no!!

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

He has a great plan than either of us know.
    Great Plan

Step 1: Have illustrious college career
    Step 2: Great drafted by NFL team in first round
    Step 3: Break neck

May step 4 be geting your tail end back on the football field.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 09-18-2006 at 03:51 PM.

Yikes! What terrible news.

Well, Pollack has a lot more important things to worry about now other than football. Get well soon David!

AP

CINCINNATI -- Linebacker David Pollack was placed on the injured reserve list Monday with a neck injury, but the Cincinnati Bengals expect him to be fully recovered for next season.

David Pollack
    Linebacker
    Cincinnati Bengals

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
    Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int
    1 0 1 0 0 0

Pollack was taken off the field on a neck board after making a tackle in the first quarter of a 34-17 victory over the Cleveland Browns on Sunday. He was later transferred to a local hospital, where he was put in a protective halo brace.

Coach Marvin Lewis said Pollack's spinal cord wasn't damaged. He has full sensation in his arms and legs, and doctors are hopeful that the halo brace -- which immobilizes the neck -- will allow the injury to heal without surgery.

"It's not career-threatening," Lewis said.

Pollack, a first-round draft pick last year, was one of three starters who had to leave the game. Safety Dexter Jackson sprained his ankle, and center Rich Braham severely bruised his left knee. Both are expected to miss a game next Sunday in Pittsburgh.

In Marvin's press conference he said that note from Pollack's wife was a fake and she did not write it.

Also in the press conference the following updates were given on injuries.

Pollack is out for the year.
    Jackson is out next Sunday with a sprained ankle.
    Braham has a deep bone bruise and is also out for the next game.
    Levi Jones is doing much better and should be back this week.
    TJ is progressing well and will be reevaluated on Wednesday to see if he can play this week.
    Tab Perry has a hip injury and will be evaluated on Wedneday.

Dexter and Braham will both hurt, although I think the latter more than the former with the blitz happy Steelers. Ghuichac will certainly have his work cut out for him, esp. after with the pressure the Browns' blitzes put on Palmer yesterday. That will be a key to the game probably more than anything. And we're back to Kaesviharn being leaned on more than he's capable of yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Dexter and Braham will both hurt, although I think the latter more than the former with the blitz happy Steelers. Ghuichac will certainly have his work cut out for him, esp. after with the pressure the Browns' blitzes put on Palmer yesterday. That will be a key to the game probably more than anything. And we're back to Kaesviharn being leaned on more than he's capable of yet again.
    With Levi returning (hopefully) that will put Steinbach back at guard next to Ghiaciuc instead of the rookie Whitworth. That will help a great deal.

Kaesviharn also has #40 back there with him instead of #26 like last year. That is a lot better situation this time around.

The only silver lining to all these early injuries is that they have an early bye (week 5) that should help most of them get back on the field.
    Last edited by BuckWoody; 09-18-2006 at 04:59 PM.

As a Browns Backer, I sincerely hope and pray for David Pollack's well-being and health and hope to see him back on the football field once again. No one should end their career on that note.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Based on what I am reading from some other websites hopefully Jackson might be back after the bye week. Braham with the deep bone bruise could be gone for several weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Great Plan

Step 1: Have illustrious college career
    Step 2: Great drafted by NFL team in first round
    Step 3: Break neck

May step 4 be geting your tail end back on the football field.
    If I were him, my step 4 would be to never step foot on a football field again.

He was very very lucky, and if he comes through this relatively unscathed, IMPO, he'd be nuts to play again.

God bless!

Coach Marvin Lewis said Pollack's spinal cord wasn't damaged. He has full sensation in his arms and legs, and doctors are hopeful that the halo brace -- which immobilizes the neck -- will allow the injury to heal without surgery.

"It's not career-threatening," Lewis said.
    Well, isn't it ironic that David's wife (or whomever) posted something different than what is stated here. It may have been posted by a friend with his wife's permission.

He severed his C-6... believe it or not, that means it IS damanged regardless of whether or not he isn't paralyzed.

Not career threatening? How does he know at this stage. They don't even know yet if he'll require surgery. Plus, David may not want to take the chance of damaging it again in the future when he might not be as lucky.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 09-19-2006 at 01:03 AM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody View Post
    With Levi returning (hopefully) that will put Steinbach back at guard next to Ghiaciuc instead of the rookie Whitworth. That will help a great deal.

Kaesviharn also has #40 back there with him instead of #26 like last year. That is a lot better situation this time around.

The only silver lining to all these early injuries is that they have an early bye (week 5) that should help most of them get back on the field.

Both Willie Anderson and Carson Palmer think that Ghiaciuc will do a good job.
    It didnt help yesterday that when he came in he was next to a rookie that was making his first start.
    Next week he should have Steinbach next to him since it sounds like Levi Jones will be back.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    If I were him, my step 4 would be to never step foot on a football field again.

He was very very lucky, and if he comes through this relatively unscathed, IMPO, he'd be nuts to play again.

God bless!

Well, isn't it ironic that David's wife (or whomever) posted something different than what is stated here. It may have been posted by a friend with his wife's permission.

He severed his C-6... believe it or not, that means it IS damanged regardless of whether or not he isn't paralyzed.

Not career threatening? How does he know at this stage. They don't even know yet if he'll require surgery. Plus, David may not want to take the chance of damaging it again in the future when he might be as lucky.

The email, supposedly from his wife, has been removed from the Enquier story, and was shot down by Marvin as something false.

I don't know...

Turn Off Ads?