Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Hanigan

Ryan Hanigan

Not sure how many of you watched entire game last night, but Ryan Hanigan put on a clinic behind the plate last night. He was simply awesome. He took a couple balls off of his right shoulder (no padding), but continued to block each and every pitch thrown in the dirt. He kept the ball in front of him and under control every single time. He made several very, very tough scoops with runners on. He threw the ball well and got rid of it quickly, and with great footwork. And I'm pretty sure when Masset gave up the lead he scolded him on the mound, telling him he cost one of his teammates a win after a great start. I swear that's what I read from his lips. It wasn't a "pep-talk" or a "don't worry about it" talk. I recorded the game and am going to show it to my 12 year old as an example of how that position should be played. I can't remember the last time I saw a game caught as well as last night's game was. Wanted to hear others' opinion, or if they even noticed.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ryan Hanigan

I noticed how active he was back there, as a former plate umpire, he would have drove me nuts, but as our catcher, I like to see that instead of just sitting back and relying too much on the glove saves.

I would take issue if he scolded Masset, unless he knows for sure that is a motivator for him. Berating folks usually doesn't do much for their respect level and resultant level of trust. I'd be surprised if that went down as you said.

Of course, going the other direction, pitcher belittling catcher, apparently that's a cool thing to do if you're Mike Pelphrey.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I noticed, as did Enberg and the SD broadcast team (Mark Grant) they raved all night about his mobility and the confidence he instilled in the pitchers, especially Luke.

Hanigan is a very good catcher and we are fortunate to have him in a Reds uniform. He will be a great influence on the young prospects as they start to kick the door down to the big club. He can show Mes and Grandal how the game is supposed to be played and how to handle yourself both at the plate and behind it.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Also, you have to love a catcher that goes through an entire game playing fantastic defense (including the diving grab on that failed bunt attempt late in the game) and still manages to deliver a key base hit after 10 innings of baseball.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

As WOY said, Enberg was in love with Hanigan last night. Went out of his way to praise him. Pretty amazing how Hanigan worked his way up the ladder with barely a peep as a top prospect. He's a very very valuable catcher.

He gets rid of the ball as well as any Reds' catcher since David Ross. Problem with Ross was that he was pretty poor in all other aspects of catching. His footwork and release were something to see though.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

It's hard to believe Hanigan went undrafted...

Trying this again...interesting article.
    http://baseballreflections.com/2009/...ncinnati-reds/
    Last edited by edabbs44; 04-13-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Not sure how many of you watched entire game last night, but Ryan Hanigan put on a clinic behind the plate last night. He was simply awesome. He took a couple balls off of his right shoulder (no padding), but continued to block each and every pitch thrown in the dirt. He kept the ball in front of him and under control every single time. He made several very, very tough scoops with runners on. He threw the ball well and got rid of it quickly, and with great footwork. And I'm pretty sure when Masset gave up the lead he scolded him on the mound, telling him he cost one of his teammates a win after a great start. I swear that's what I read from his lips. It wasn't a "pep-talk" or a "don't worry about it" talk. I recorded the game and am going to show it to my 12 year old as an example of how that position should be played. I can't remember the last time I saw a game caught as well as last night's game was. Wanted to hear others' opinion, or if they even noticed.
    Good post. No doubt, he was awesome back there last night.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    It's hard to believe Hanigan went undrafted...
    I can believe it. Heck on his way thought he minors everyone was doubting whether or not he could hack it at the major league level. Its a testament to Hanigan more than anything else that he has made it and will stay in the majors. He has improved each year for the Reds and has become one of the best catching tandems in all of baseball.

Thom and Brantley were bagging on someone in the middle innings about not working with pitchers well. I was only half listening but it seemed to me they were talking about Hanigan without actually referring to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Trying this again...interesting article.
    http://baseballreflections.com/2009/...ncinnati-reds/
    Thanks, lots of interesting stuff in there.

I always assumed, when they say he went undrafted, that he played 4 years in college and wasn't all that good, but was a flyer as a tryout camp player. Looks like he would have been drafted after his senior season, if not for Jim Bowden offerring him a contract after cape cod league play. I'm sure the college connection worked for Ryan in this case, with his fellow alum paying a little closer attention.

Leaves me wondering, can any undrafted collegiate junior, just up and sign w/ any major league team prior to his 4th year of college?

I also wonder how he & mes are going to split time the next couple of years. Will Dusty give the primary job to Ryan and let Mes work about 60 games a year as the backup, will they split it about 50/50, or will Mes be given primary duty, w/ Hannigan getting about 60 starts a season for the next couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Thom and Brantley were bagging on someone in the middle innings about not working with pitchers well. I was only half listening but it seemed to me they were talking about Hanigan without actually referring to him.
    No - they were actually talking about someone Brantley played with. Not Hanigan.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    No - they were actually talking about someone Brantley played with. Not Hanigan.

O.K. Thanks.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?