Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Not going to panic, but something I don't understand

Re: Not going to panic, but something I don't understand

Amazing stat: In their last 23 games, the Reds have lost a game by the score of 1-0 four different times.

June 18th at Seattle
    June 20th at Seattle
    July 10th at Philadelphia
    July 11st Philadelphia

I'd love to know when the last time a team lost four 1-0 games in a span of a month.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Amazing stat: In their last 23 games, the Reds have lost a game by the score of 1-0 four different times.

June 18th at Seattle
    June 20th at Seattle
    July 10th at Philadelphia
    July 11st Philadelphia

I'd love to know when the last time a team lost four 1-0 games in a span of a month.
    Some brutal pitching in at least 3 of those 4 games. At least they're not getting shut out by Jeff Karstens.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Long 11 game road trip against some great pitching. First offensive slump of the season. Not going to get too worked up about it. Though they probably could use more pop from the left side.
    Don't know that they need more pop, but they are certainly headed into the 2nd half with 3 ?'s in the outfield and two aging guys on the left side. Bruce is probably counted on to do more than he's grown into right now, Stubbs will take awhile to adjust in the ML's if he ever does, and Gomes just came off a career's worth of stats in about a month and a half. Not sure you can count on another run like that. Rolen and Cabrera look flat gassed (as does Phillips whose younger). I would certainly explore the possibility of a LF or SS and hope you can get enough from everyone else. In fact, this offense looks flat putrid when it doesn't go yard same an inning here and there.

Some brutal pitching in at least 3 of those 4 games. At least they're not getting shut out by Jeff Karstens.
    Other teams have to face those pitchers too. There's no excuse for getting shutout by Ryan Rowland-Smith, and though Cole Hamels is a good pitcher, he entered today having allowed 19 HR in a little over 100 IP.

IMO, the offense has played over their heads all season.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Need. More. Offense.
    Cory Hart?
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr View Post
    Don't know that they need more pop, but they are certainly headed into the 2nd half with 3 ?'s in the outfield and two aging guys on the left side. Bruce is probably counted on to do more than he's grown into right now, Stubbs will take awhile to adjust in the ML's if he ever does, and Gomes just came off a career's worth of stats in about a month and a half. Not sure you can count on another run like that. Rolen and Cabrera look flat gassed (as does Phillips whose younger). I would certainly explore the possibility of a LF or SS and hope you can get enough from everyone else. In fact, this offense looks flat putrid when it doesn't go yard same an inning here and there.
    So in other words, the offense is tired after a brutal road trip wherein they faced Santana, Hamels, Halladay, Lilly, Dempster. It happens.

I'll say this, that was the weirdest 4 game series I can ever remember. It feels like it lasted 2 weeks. Every game had incredibly odd circumstances. I come away feeling like we were very evenly matched from top to bottom with the Phils. Not that it's good enough.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

IMO, the offense has played over their heads all season.
    They probably have a bit. Not sure if it's a tragedy if they end up being 2nd in virtually every offensive category known to man.

You guys are cherry-picking to slam the best offense in the NL. You're wasting your time.

You guys are cherry-picking to slam the best offense in the NL
    Redszone guilty of cherry-picking? Naaah!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Marty has a point in that they need to seriously think about Bruce as a platoon player.

There are other issues or improvements they could make to the lineup and/or bench, but Phillips and Gomes are struggling right now, as is Rolen, and without those guys hitting, combined with Bruce doing nothing at all offensively, it's a recipe for a .500 team or worse.

Better hope they learn how to handle tough lefties better and top of the rotation pitchers at some point.

3 shutouts in a week is really, really ugly. Its tough watching all of this starting pitching going to waste.

They probably have a bit. Not sure if it's a tragedy if they end up being 2nd in virtually every offensive category known to man.

You guys are cherry-picking to slam the best offense in the NL. You're wasting your time.
    The problem is, at this rate, they'll be much further down the list than 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Marty has a point in that they need to seriously think about Bruce as a platoon player.

There are other issues or improvements they could make to the lineup and/or bench, but Phillips and Gomes are struggling right now, as is Rolen, and without those guys hitting, combined with Bruce doing nothing at all offensively, it's a recipe for a .500 team or worse.Better hope they learn how to handle tough lefties better and top of the rotation pitchers at some point.

3 shutouts in a week is really, really ugly. Its tough watching all of this starting pitching going to waste.
    Jay Bruce has the third most XBH's of anyone on the Club.

Votto 39
    Phillips 38
    Bruce 34

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    The problem is, at this rate, they'll be much further down the list than 2nd.
    At what rate?

If they want Bruce to become a great hitter, they'll let him hit against lefties. It's a problem right now, no doubt, and Bruce may never develop the ability to hit lefties or he might not figure it out till he's expensive or FA (at which point we may have missed out on an opportunity to trade for someone who could be more productive in his cheap years). Kind of a bind, but I'd still start him in RF. He is still only 23 (though the clock is ticking cost/contract-wise).

I'd have no problem adding a big bat to the lineup, but I think that would be kind of a weird use of resources.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 07-11-2010 at 05:28 PM.

By the way, the Reds scored plenty of runs on this trip; as recently as Friday they scored 7 in one game.

I really think the offense-whinging is a bit overstated.

I want the Reds to acquire another starting pitcher (Haren/Oswalt/Nolasco) and some bullpen help, but ... since April 25th, the Reds pitching staff is allowing 3.89 runs per game. Again, I think the Reds need to acquire a hammer at the top of the rotation but the pitching hasn't been the problem lately.

Turn Off Ads?