Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Since Narron's extension...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Since Narron's extension...

The Reds are 54-67 (.446)

When he was extended back in June of last year, they were 41-36 (.532) and in second place, 1 1/2 games behind St. Louis.

I said at the time they jumped the gun on the extension, and I'm pretty sure almost everybody agreed with me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Since Narron's extension...

I disagree I like where our team stands right now.

Sike.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    The Reds are 54-67 (.446)

When he was extended back in June of last year, they were 41-36 (.532) and in second place, 1 1/2 games behind St. Louis.

I said at the time they jumped the gun on the extension, and I'm pretty sure almost everybody agreed with me.
    While I can understand the logic, I was not one who agreed with questioning the extension. I think Narron's a better manager than most RZer's believe.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Narron's extension was premature and much too long. BCast made a "Narron" mistake...extrapolating the performance of a small sample.

And it wasn't like Narron's phone was ringing off the hook with offers from other clubs.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    While I can understand the logic, I was not one who agreed with questioning the extension. I think Narron's a better manager than most RZer's believe.
    I'm not putting all of this teams problems on Narron, that wouldn't be fair...I do think they jumped the gun though.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I'm not putting all of this teams problems on Narron, that wouldn't be fair...I do think they jumped the gun though.
    I think they did too, but really if they wanted to get rid of him, swallowing his salary wouldn't be that big of a hit, compared to the other salaries they are throwing away this year (Cormier, LaRue, probably Stanton later one, etc).

I agree with redsmetz. I think Narron is a better manager than most RZ'ers believe.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Narron's extension was premature and much too long. BCast made a "Narron" mistake...extrapolating the performance of a small sample.
    Is extending a manager an owner or GM decision?

The kiss of death extension. You could see the balloon deflate while the ink was drying on Narroon's new contract.
    Coffee was the recepient of a very well timed extension. It focused him on making sure his pitches split the middle of the plate.
    We are currently enjoying the fruits of turning a #1 ace (Harang)into a comfortable $4 through a well timed extension. Oh yes, almost forgot about the extension David Ross used as an incentive to catapult himself :thumbdown into the first ranks of #3 catchers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    Is extending a manager an owner or GM decision?
    The fact WK and JN were extended at the same time leads me to believe it was BCast's decison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

After todays loss, its just about time to start the "Pick the Date Narron gets Fired" pool.

In my personal opinion, I think if the Reds are going to continue running out the managers that they have in recent seasons, it would make sense to do so on a series of one year contracts.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Maybe I've missed the thread, but I can't recall any discussing firing the pitching coach. His charges are the ones most responsible for our bad run. A bullpen with an ERA closing in on 5?

I just don't see how firing Narron will make the bullpen quit giving away leads that our offense hands them every other night.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Based on?

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    In my personal opinion, I think if the Reds are going to continue running out the managers that they have in recent seasons, it would make sense to do so on a series of one year contracts.

Worked for Walt Alston.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

If we had the best manager who ever existed, what would our record be over the last 14 months?

You fire managers for underachieving or losing the ability to lead a team effectively. Fact is that given the talent at hand, Narron isn't underachieving. Does he have control of the locker room? Beats me, though I've seen suggestions that trouble is brewing.

I'm just not convinced that re-arranging deck chairs is going to accomplish anything.

I'm a pretty firm believer that you don't fire any manager based on a stretch of team performance of anything less than a half season, unless there is a significant off the field problem. Bringing in a new manager isn't like bringing in a new RF who can step on the field and pick right up.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 05-14-2007 at 10:40 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?