Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HBO's Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)

* SPOILER ALERT *
    (If you haven't watched last night's GOT episode, discontinue reading)

Once you establish that the series is going to be about various factions competing for the Iron Throne following Robert Baratheon's death, it makes sense to get Ned Stark out of the way. He's a guy with no ambitions for the throne, and he isn't going to be pushed into making a claim for it. By moving control of House Stark to Robb, you get the setup for having the North backing their own King.

Plus, on a more meta-level, the world that Martin created didn't have a place for people like Ned Stark -- his loyalty and honesty are incredible handicaps when it comes to dealing with other nobles and lords who lie, cheat, and murder without a second thought. Ned is a soldier and a terrible politician, and he pays for that fact with his life when he steps into that arena.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Richsaint

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    * SPOILER ALERT *

Once you establish that the series is going to be about various factions competing for the Iron Throne following Robert Baratheon's death, it makes sense to get Ned Stark out of the way. He's a guy with no ambitions for the throne, and he isn't going to be pushed into making a claim for it. By moving control of House Stark to Robb, you get the setup for having the North backing their own King.

Plus, on a more meta-level, the world that Martin created didn't have a place for people like Ned Stark -- his loyalty and honesty are incredible handicaps when it comes to dealing with other nobles and lords who lie, cheat, and murder without a second thought. Ned is a soldier and a terrible politician, and he pays for that fact with his life when he steps into that arena.
    Agree, I loved ned, but once I looked a little ahead in the books to see whats about to happen it makes perfect sense, that being said At some point I think HBO is going to ask them to veer a little away from the books and the killing off of all the main characters.

ASOIAF is brutal about this sort of thing. I am wondering how HBO will approach it in the future. I just finished book 3 and WOW. Most emotional and by far the best of the series!

* SPOILER ALERT *

I also think what the Boy King did was politically smart as well. Eliminate potential enemies before they become a threat and show everyone you will rule with an iron fist.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I actually enjoyed the entire series, although I do tire of most HBOs desire to instill shock value in every episode (hey check out us chopping off this horse head!).

Maybe I'm just becoming a crank in my 30s but it seems like most of that doesn't add a shred of story telling to the series.

Usually fantasy fare isn't my thing but my wife and I watched every episode. I most appreciated, having never read the books, how different the story was compared to most fantasy story building.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I actually enjoyed the entire series, although I do tire of most HBOs desire to instill shock value in every episode (hey check out us chopping off this horse head!).

Maybe I'm just becoming a crank in my 30s but it seems like most of that doesn't add a shred of story telling to the series.

Usually fantasy fare isn't my thing but my wife and I watched every episode. I most appreciated, having never read the books, how different the story was compared to most fantasy story building.
    Awesome. I think those of us who love the books were most excited about the TV show because it had the potential to expose this great story to people, like you, who haven't read the books and generally don't read fantasy.

I agree there was a bit too much shock value. I actually didn't mind the violence - because I think we tend to gloss over how brutal and unforgiving life was in medieval times (even if this is a fictional medieval universe) - but having seemingly every exposition scene take place in a brothel or around otherwise nude women was a bit much (and really didn't further the story).

A Dance With Dragons comes out tomorrow!

My excitement level is high.

Finished catching up on the show this weekend, its been about a 6 months or so since I read the book (whenever I found out about it coming to HBO and the recs on this website) so I wasn't sure where exactly the first book ended in the show, and where the 2nd book picked up. I liked how they extended Arrya's story a bit into the 2nd book (or did I just forget the amount of detail they left out of her character) to polish off her story, which is where a big chunk of the 2nd book picks up (just started it a week or two ago)

Overall, I'd say its slow at times, but finished off greatly, similar to the book, so much detail and storyline, it would be impossible to not be a little slow at the begining w/o missing some of the details. I liked the areas where they ended each episode, seems like they found a good stopping point each time to help build a little suspense into the following episode.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Finished catching up on the show this weekend, its been about a 6 months or so since I read the book (whenever I found out about it coming to HBO and the recs on this website) so I wasn't sure where exactly the first book ended in the show, and where the 2nd book picked up. I liked how they extended Arrya's story a bit into the 2nd book (or did I just forget the amount of detail they left out of her character) to polish off her story, which is where a big chunk of the 2nd book picks up (just started it a week or two ago)

Overall, I'd say its slow at times, but finished off greatly, similar to the book, so much detail and storyline, it would be impossible to not be a little slow at the begining w/o missing some of the details. I liked the areas where they ended each episode, seems like they found a good stopping point each time to help build a little suspense into the following episode.
    Yes, they added a bit from the second book with Arya. Also that scene with Cat and Jamie has dialogue that is mostly from a later book. (And, incidentally, has one of my favorite lines in the series: "There are no men like me. There's only me.")

I was a little frustrated at times with how exposition-heavy some of the early episodes were. It certainly picked up towards the end though. The last scene was amazing, and really captured the excitement/mystery of the books, I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I'm usually with you on the HBO "gore and sex for the sake of gore and sex," but having read the books, they aren't adding anything that isn't there most of the time.

Book 5 came out today.......it was on my kindle this morning as I had preordered. It's been 5 years in the making. I'm almost done with my reread of the series, so I'll be diving into book 5 in the very near future.

Got my copy in the mail today, but I still haven't ever made it through book 4. Always have found it a slog, going to try again this month.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Game of Thrones meets 16-bit era Squaresoft RPGness:

http://tinyurl.com/3qvmbuq

(Warning, mildly NSFW)

Game of Thrones meets 16-bit era Squaresoft RPGness:

http://tinyurl.com/3qvmbuq

(Warning, mildly NSFW)
    lol nice I think that is the hardest I have laughed in a while. Thank you Caveat! That was absolutely brilliant, lol.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Anyone finish the 5th book yet? I finished it last week and have been looking to discuss/vent with someone. PM me to avoid spoilers for the show (I guess)

Turn Off Ads?