Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lou in 2011?

Lou in 2011?

I know he liked Cincinnati and was successful here. Although, he'd be just as frustrating as Baker.

Lou Piniella is 66 years old. His contract to manage the Chicago Cubs will expire at the end of this season. We don’t know what the wishes of new owner Tom Ricketts, or general manager Jim Hendry, or Piniella himself will be after that.

The other day in Pittsburgh, I asked Piniella which factors will determine whether he wants to manage in 2011.

“I haven’t thought about those things,” he said. “I really haven’t.”
    Pinella may not return to Cubs in 2011
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lou in 2011?

No way.

If the Reds move on from Dusty I'd like to see them look to the future, not the past.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Maybe 10 years ago.
    Go Gators!

No way! He's lost his "fire" as a manager. He looks like he's simply going through the motions.

He won't come to Cincy anyway. This organization doesn't spend enough for him to win.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    No way! He's lost his "fire" as a manager. He looks like he's simply going through the motions.

He won't come to Cincy anyway. This organization doesn't spend enough for him to win.
    Agreed. Lou doesn't strike me as a Leyland-type guy who wants to live out his days in the dugout. He looks to me like he's counting the days until he can go back to his home in Florida.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

I think the Reds need to start looking for managers that have not already been driven out of Chicago.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I wouldn't mind trying him out again, but he is awful old and looks worn out and he has never really been all that successful.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

The Reds need to get an inexpensve manager like Mackanin and divert the extra 3 million into player salaries.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    The Reds need to get an inexpensve manager like Mackanin and divert the extra 3 million into player salaries.
    Yep. Time for new blood.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Talent wins..... and also makes it easier on any manager when it comes to filling out that lineup card.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

He hasn't done much over the years with some ridiculously talented teams.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Well, he SHOULD be the manager in 2011, because he never should have left. But yeah, it's time to (a) move on and (b) NOT waste millions of dollars on a manager.

Honestly, I'd rather have Dusty at this point.

If the Reds finish above .500, Dusty will probably be back.

As to Lou, I was upset when he went to Chicago as I thought he was a good fit for the Reds. But I think his age and the taint of the Cubs would have me pass on him.
    Where we gonna go?

Lou sure didn't impress me in the 7th inning yesterday. If the tables were turned, RZ would be feasting on him today.

Turn Off Ads?