Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Per John Fays Twitter _Brandon would play SS if the reds want him too

Re: Per John Fays Twitter _Brandon would play SS if the reds want him too

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Definitely.

In Brandon's world, you can't spell team without "me".

And while his GG caliber D @ 2B is awesome (don't get me wrong), he'll do everything he can to make himself the most money while attempting to be the best 2B (which he'll never do while guys like Utley, Hudson, Zobrist, Pedroia, Kinsler, or Roberts continue to play 2B).

So, kinda hard to be the best 2B in MLB when you're only arguably the 2nd best 2B in your league (Utley clearly the best, I prefer Hudson over Phillips)....
    Yep. Look at these direct quotes from the guy. Selfish bastard.

“I’ll do whatever the Reds want me to do,” he said. “I’ll play outfield, shortstop.”

“No one’s said anything to me,” Phillips said. “But I’ll do whatever makes the team better.”

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Yep. Look at these direct quotes from the guy. Selfish bastard.
    Public lip service and you know it.

Of course he's saying all the perceived right things.

So now have him do them.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    So now have him do them.
    I guess that's on The Dusty now.

It's one thing for Brandon to come out and say the right things, it's another thing for The Dusty to do the right things.

Again, all it takes for Brandon to play SS is for Dusty to put him there. At least that's all it should take. If that decision is totally on Brandon then the Reds are screwed worse than I thought. Inmates running the asylum.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Again, all it takes for Brandon to play SS is for Dusty to put him there. At least that's all it should take. If that decision is totally on Brandon then the Reds are screwed worse than I thought. Inmates running the asylum.
    Ken Griffey Jr. came to mind when I read that

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Ken Griffey Jr. came to mind when I read that
    And Adam Dunn.

No, I don't. And neither do you.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    And Adam Dunn.
    Adam Dunn refusing to play 1B and Barry Larkin refusing to bat leadoff are 2 of the biggest Reds urban legends ever....

No, I don't. And neither do you.
    So you're telling me the Reds have thought they've had such awesome defensive SS since 2006 is the reason why Brandon Phillips has played 1 game @ SS?

Or the Reds managers have magically forgotten Brandon Phillips came up thru the minors as a SS?

I don't buy it.

The Reds have known they've had statues @ SS since 2006, and they should have approached Brandon Phillips to play SS, rather than Brandon Phillips keeping his name in the papers saying "I'll do whatever it takes for this team to win".

So you're telling me the Reds have thought they've had such awesome defensive SS since 2006 is the reason why Brandon Phillips has played 1 game @ SS?

Or the Reds managers have magically forgotten Brandon Phillips came up thru the minors as a SS?

I don't buy it.

The Reds have known they've had statues @ SS since 2006, and they should have approached Brandon Phillips to play SS, rather than Brandon Phillips keeping his name in the papers saying "I'll do whatever it takes for this team to win".
    The Brandon Phillips hate on RedsZone is amazing.

First of all, you're arguing two different things. Should they have approached Phillips about playing SS? Maybe, maybe not. But they had $15 million committed to Gonzo for the past three years. He was signed to be their starting shortstop largely because they believe he's a good defensive shortstop (not going to debate that now). Even when Gonzo has been hurt, they've always believed he eventually would be the guy at that position for the duration of his contract (he actually was pretty darn good that first season, although no one remembers or admits that now). If they moved Phillips over the past three seasons, they still had to find a second baseman--and still were on the hook for Gonzo, who suddenly had no position to play. And that's if the move went well (which isn't, contrary to popular opinion around here, a given). It in no way was a no-brainer over the last three years.

It's only coming up now because they have no legitimate starting shortstop under contract next season AND they recently moved Frazier to second base. Maybe they're thinking about it now. Maybe not. We'll see.

As for Phillips "keeping his name in the paper" ... you mean by answering a question? Or I suppose you believe Phillips chased down the beat writers to talk to them about playing shortstop -- only he didn't really mean it, because he's selfish. Right? Talk about ridiculous criticism.

I'd respect you more if you just came out and posted "I hate Brandon Phillips" over and over. At least that would be honest. This line of criticism is full of ridiculous distortions and misrepresentations. It's so fundamentally dishonest, it's embarassing.

First of all, you're arguing two different things. Should they have approached Phillips about playing SS? Maybe, maybe not. But they had $15 million committed to Gonzo for the past three years. He was signed to be their starting shortstop largely because they believe he's a good defensive shortstop (not going to debate that now). Even when Gonzo has been hurt, they've always believed he eventually would be the guy at that position for the duration of his contract (he actually was pretty darn good that first season, although no one remembers or admits that now). If they moved Phillips over the past three seasons, they still had to find a second baseman--and still were on the hook for Gonzo, who suddenly had no position to play. And that's if the move went well (which isn't, contrary to popular opinion around here, a given). It in no way was a no-brainer over the last three years.

It's only coming up now because they have no legitimate starting shortstop under contract next season AND they recently moved Frazier to second base. Maybe they're thinking about it now. Maybe not. We'll see.

As for Phillips "keeping his name in the paper" ... you mean by answering a question? Or I suppose you believe Phillips chased down the beat writers to talk to them about playing shortstop -- only he didn't really mean it, because he's selfish. Right? Talk about ridiculous criticism.

I'd respect you more if you just came out and posted "I hate Brandon Phillips" over and over. At least that would be honest. This line of criticism is full of ridiculous distortions and misrepresentations. It's so fundamentally dishonest, it's embarassing.
    It's incredibly odd. I still think it has something to do with his supposed "Dunn bashing".
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I'd prefer making a big push for a young SS, but I realize that there's a very good chance it won't be successful and we have limited resources that can be used to fill other holes- an in-house solution would be great. I'd love to see Phillips move to short. I do worry about possible serious post-move griping though (if he actually went through with it at all).

I'd rather see Chone Figgens at second for a year and then decide between he and Frazier at 2B/3B in 2011 when Rolen's contract is up.

As for the OF. Those same limited resources means that this franchise is going to have to have contributions from prospects - yes, I said it. Bruce has to come around in RF with Gomes (I know he's not a great option) might get some starts against the toughest lefties. It would be even better if Ballentine could improve and help in RF.

WillyT needs to be buried to the 25th man position until he can be DFA'd and we need some combination of Stubbs/Heisey/Dickerson to come through. Then in LF, if the resources are there, add an impact bat.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 08-06-2009 at 01:02 PM.

I don't even know where to start with this, but I'll do my best....

1. Gonzo was out for a full season. That was the time to try out Phillips @ SS, but it just so happens that Phillips won himself a Gold Glove @ 2B while Gonzo was out. Phillips is ridiculously good defensively, and he's one of the only exciting reasons to watch the Reds anymore. Tune in, see what great play Brandon might make tonight! Honestly, I hope he wins multiple Gold Gloves, b/c then it draws some kind of attention to the Reds.

2. Love Phillips' D, hate his game at the plate. Until Phillips realizes that walks are good too, embrace them, I'll continue to hate his offensive game. I think he has plenty of potential, but he just seems really selfish at the plate, IMO. While I want to believe that he's trying to put the ball in play to help the club, I'm more convinced he wants to put the ball in play to help his personal numbers.

3. I'm not arguing 2 things at all. When Phillips came up thru the Expos and Indians systems, he was a SS. He gets traded to the Reds, and now he's essentially asked to play a different position, 2B. My frustration with the Reds is that in 2006, Phillips was our best SS option, yet we tried him out as a 2B experiment, and that experiment's worked extremely well. However, why did we try him as a 2B and not a SS?

4. While Gonzo had a good year defensively @ SS in 2007 (and I definitely remember him doing so), why did we go after Gonzo in the first place? Why didn't we move Phillips back to SS? We could have plugged in any number of guys to play 2B, but instead, we chose to commit a sizeable amount of money to a SS on the wrong side of 30.

5. Brandon Phillips is a very selfish ballplayer, make no mistake about it.

5. Brandon Phillips is a very selfish ballplayer, make no mistake about it.
    Because... Because... Because I think he is!

Turn Off Ads?