Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Travieso

Re: Nick Travieso

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    MLB.com has him rated as the #32 player, Baseball America has him at #40 and the Reds take him at #14. I don't like the pick and I will like it a lot less if the Nats sign Giolito.

On the flip side since he was such a reach, hopefully he signs below slot enabling the Reds to get some upside guys later.
    Jim Callis had San Fran drafting him at #20, though.

As I sat there and Nick's name was called, I was thinking, who?? I had not seen the Reds linked to him, so I was a bit befuddled. But after reading up further on the guy and seeing video and scouting reports, I have to say that I'm starting to like the pick a lot. The Reds have earned my trust on the 1st round picks.

With that said, I would have taken Giolito myself. The upside was just too great, injury or not. I can't believe the Nats were able to draft him. They're going to have 1 heck of a future.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The more you read about this kid the more you like him. Little wear and tear on his arm. His father protective. He has an aggressive bulldog mentality, fierce competitor. Shows a touch for off speed stuff but needs pro coaching. Can dial it up to 99. Has a broad, strong frame similar to Seaver and Clemens type build. Said to be coachable. Reds have been in on him for some time and know him quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    The more you read about this kid the more you like him. Little wear and tear on his arm. His father protective. He has an aggressive bulldog mentality, fierce competitor. Shows a touch for off speed stuff but needs pro coaching. Can dial it up to 99. Has a broad, strong frame similar to Seaver and Clemens type build. Said to be coachable. Reds have been in on him for some time and know him quite well.
    Hopefully that means he's a quick sign. Would like to see him and Stephenson in the same rotation, even if it's just in Billings.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Hopefully that means he's a quick sign. Would like to see him and Stephenson in the same rotation, even if it's just in Billings.
    That's exactly what I was hoping when I read about the Reds having been following this kid and his friendship with the son of one of their scouting directors

Has there been any indication about what sort of bonus that Travieso is looking to get? Part of me wonders whether or not the Reds thought they could grab a guy they wanted a bit earlier than he might have gone otherwise, sign him for less than slot money and then use the extra money later in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    Has there been any indication about what sort of bonus that Travieso is looking to get? Part of me wonders whether or not the Reds thought they could grab a guy they wanted a bit earlier than he might have gone otherwise, sign him for less than slot money and then use the extra money later in the draft.
    That only works to a point, the money can only be used in the first ten rounds. And with a protective father I don't think we're talking a huge discount from slot here. I think we're simply talking the willingness to sign at all.

Would have been a steal in the later rounds, and definitely deserved to be ranked higher than he was. With all the talk about being a reliever in the long run, there's not a whole lot I see that supports that. A fastball with good break that touches 99 MPH, above average slider, and a changeup with potential... all in a HS prospect with good mechanics? That sounds to me like a keeper.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I read an article that said the sites that rank the players tend to drop guys who don't participate in showcases. His Dad has taken care of his arm and not over used him, or let him do too much.

Also read articles that basically said he wasn't a secret to all the teams. Several teams were considering drafting him in the first round. Kind of like the best kept secret that several teams knew about.

I doubt he'll be a bust. Could end up being that diamond in the rough that really will showcase how good or bad the Reds scouting/drafting department is. If this kid is the real deal, then the Reds scouting is the real deal too.

Could end up being that diamond in the rough that really will showcase how good or bad the Reds scouting/drafting department is. If this kid is the real deal, then the Reds scouting is the real deal too.
    Their track record speaks for itself. You can't expect any team to hit gold every year. The team has been remarkably consistent in making good first round picks over the last several years -- I think their reputation is secure.

BA has a draft video of Travieso that at the end shows him taking a few swings. Apparently he was also a pretty good hitter for his high school team (one of the best teams in the country). Really like the fact that despite what looks like a sturdy build for a high schooler, this kid is a nice natural athlete. The more I see and read on him, the more I like him.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Assuming Travieso signs, how would he rank among Reds pitching prospects (Corcino, Stephenson, Sulbaran, Cingrani, and Lotzkar)?

I'm assuming he'd be close to Cingrani (right after Corcino and Stephenson) and ahead of Sulbaran and Lotzkar. Does that sound about right?

1. Corcino
    2. Stephenson

3/4. Cingrani
    3/4. Travieso

5/6. Lotzkar
    5/6. Sulbaran

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Assuming Travieso signs, how would he rank among Reds pitching prospects (Corcino, Stephenson, Sulbaran, Cingrani, and Lotzkar)?

I'm assuming he'd be close to Cingrani (right after Corcino and Stephenson) and ahead of Sulbaran and Lotzkar. Does that sound about right?

1. Corcino
    2. Stephenson

3/4. Cingrani
    3/4. Travieso

5/6. Lotzkar
    5/6. Sulbaran
    Personally, I'd put them like this as of right now:

1. Corcino
    2. Lotzkar
    3. Cingrani
    4. Stephenson
    5. Travieso
    6. Sulbaran

Although they do carry upside, it's hard to rank guys who have yet to throw a pitch in full season ball ahead of guys with upside who are doing very well in AA. If Lotzkar stays healthy, he is one of the best in the system IMO. Given that he isn't slotted for Dayton a full year after being drafted, it's hard to keep ranking Stephenson ahead of Lotzkar and Cingrani, and I'd put Travieso as a slight tick behind Stephenson- given that he's more of a project.

Sulbaran is the Homer Bailey of the minor leagues. Good stuff, but there always seems to be a "but"...
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-05-2012 at 11:23 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Sulbaran is the Homer Bailey of the minor leagues. Good stuff, but there always seems to be a "but"...
    But... he has pretty much sucked every year. He has a 4.58 ERA right now. And that's the best ERA of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Their track record speaks for itself. You can't expect any team to hit gold every year. The team has been remarkably consistent in making good first round picks over the last several years -- I think their reputation is secure.
    Although this is true, if the pick doesn't pan out, this is when everyone starts to slam Buckley for how he lost his touch or whatever. Everyone will want his head if he's unable to "restock" the organization. And since he already knew Travieso, people would never let go of the nepotism thing.

Turn Off Ads?