Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SI's Tom Verducci Suggests the Reds Could Contend in '08

Headed South

SI's Tom Verducci Suggests the Reds Could Contend in '08

Article from SI. com http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...aseball/1.html

1. Cincinnati Reds. The Reds weren't quite as bad as their 72-90 record indicated and they hired a veteran manager who fits the turnaround profile: Baker. Cincinnati was outscored by 70 runs last year, but the eighth inning alone accounted for 53 of those runs. (The Reds allowed more runs in the eighth, 123, than any other inning.) The signing of closer Francisco Cordero, while an extravagant one (the most expensive free agent in franchise history at four years, $46 million), at least on paper, improves Cincinnati's eighth-inning chances, with David Weathers and Jared Burton setting up Cordero.

The 2007 Reds had the worst bullpen in the NL (5.13 ERA). If they can improve the bullpen the way the 2007 Indians did, the 2008 Reds -- especially if young hitters Jay Bruce and Joey Votto contribute -- could be a playoff team.

He makes some interesting points. I didn't realize the Reds' run differential wasn't all that bad - particularly concentrated in the late innings.

Originally, I thought the signing was a bit foolish - resource wise, it doesn't make a lot of sense to commit that cash to a low-innings pitcher. Still, this makes a fair point - if the Reds manage to overcome their late-inning struggles, their run differential could be a lot closer.

Considering that we've also lost relatively little offense (thank god for the Dunn re-signing!), the possibility exists for a large swing in run diff. if Votto and Bruce can contribute - or if Hamilton can give a full season.

Definitely some offseason optimism. Still, it sucks to be an organization with as many holes as the Reds, but it's nice that we're not moribund.
    Last edited by Keystone12; 12-05-2007 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Including link

The art of losing isn't hard to master.

- e.b.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: SI's Tom Verducci Suggests the Reds Could Contend in '08

Central is really bad. So bad that i think Cordero makes us just as good as the cubs and brewers, and if we get good pitching from our young guys I think we run away with the division.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Central is really bad. So bad that i think Cordero makes us just as good as the cubs and brewers, and if we get good pitching from our young guys I think we run away with the division.
    And so far, STL doesnt seem that bent on improving, which is fine with me.

run away withthe division, that is laughable, who are the starting pitchers?

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    run away withthe division, that is laughable, who are the starting pitchers?
    Why do people on here have so much trouble reading post?

Seriously....

oh wait its redsupport

run away with the division, right, with Weathers and Belisle and unproven starters the reds will surely run away with the division. When do you think Griffey will get hurt?

Yea i just cant handle the stupidity and constant worthlessness of your post.

IL list you go.

Nice response, do you think the league is envious of Belisle or maybe the league is jealous of the Reds eighth inning arson squad. Possibly the league desires the defensive prowess of Dunn/Griffey, the cenotaphs in the outfield. Be realistic Bip, a fitting name for one so perspicacious

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    run away with the division, right, with Weathers and Belisle and unproven starters the reds will surely run away with the division. When do you think Griffey will get hurt?
    This is what you responded to.

The key word is "if". What that means, and I will explain this slowly, is that on the condition that "A" occurs, (the Reds young unproven pitching actually is good), then "B" will occur (the Reds will run away with the division).

So to reply by saying that this post is laughable because the Reds have unproven starters, is even more laughable.

Bailey and Belisle are unproven starters, but I think both of them could make enough progress next year for us to to challenge for the division. A #3 starter is needed, however, to make us favorites to win the division.

What makes me laugh is that Belisle's numbers are on par with most of the National League's 5th starters. But everyone rips him to shreds. And he's probably younger than most of them.

If I'm wrong, then sue me.

such hostility lately

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    What makes me laugh is that Belisle's numbers are on par with most of the National League's 5th starters. But everyone rips him to shreds. And he's probably younger than most of them.

If I'm wrong, then sue me.
    I agree with you totally. I think hes got the talent to be better but he just needs to drop the homers down. Thats his main failing point this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    I agree with you totally. I think hes got the talent to be better but he just needs to drop the homers down. Thats his main failing point this year.
    I agree as well on Belisle's ability. He is his own worst enemy though. It is a matter of focus and intensity to be a successful pitcher. Some days he's got it, some he doesn't. When he's focused, he can be as good as anybody else. Problem is, there is a mountain of carcasses the same thing could've been said of. This will be his year to be somebody, or show himself to be a mop.

Turn Off Ads?