Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade rumor thread

Re: Trade rumor thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Apples and kiwis, mate. Frazier's no Barney, he had a rough year at the plate but let's not insult the man. Even then he post a 3+ WAR season with a career-worst babip. He's still on the right side of 30 and will come relatively cheap over the next 2 years. There are glaring weaknesses for this club in 2014 and beyond, but 3B is not one of them. Walt likes defense. So do I. Getting used to a quality glove at third is a good thing...shuddering to think of the EdE-types out there who should be moved to first or DH is a bad thing.
    Frazier's BABIP might be attributable to his 18.1% line drive rate. That was worse than Hamilton, Votto, DRob, Miller, Bruce, Ludwick, Paul, Izturis, Hanigan, Choo, Mesoraco, Phillips and Hannahan.

Only Cozart (very slightly), Lutz and Heisey had worse LD rates this past year, excluding pitchers and excluding Soto and Rodriguez (0.00).

I'm sure the Reds professionals have a view on whether Frazier will rebound. He has a long swing and I question it, but it's a judgment for those with hitting expertise on the club.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-21-2013 at 02:44 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    Ugla doesn't interest me in the least. The last thing we need is a low BA/swing for the fence every swing type. If the only alternative to trading BP for Uggla is keeping BP than I'd just assume keep him.
    It's not really about that though. I think the reasons they're looking to move BP is an attempt to keep Choo. Would you rather have Choo and Uggla or Phillips?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    It's not really about that though. I think the reasons they're looking to move BP is an attempt to keep Choo. Would you rather have Choo and Uggla or Phillips?
    Uggla makes more than BP in 2014 and 2015. Unless Choo agrees to a backloaded deal, it would be harder to afford him and Uggla in the same season than BP and Choo.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseReds View Post
    Atlanta Braves Interested in Trading Dan Uggla for Brandon Phillips:
    Uggg.

That would be a nightmare.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    Uggla makes more than BP in 2014 and 2015. Unless Choo agrees to a backloaded deal, it would be harder to afford him and Uggla in the same season than BP and Choo.
    Yep. If the Reds trade BP for Uggla it's a total money/salary dump. Plain and simple.

Uggla is owed 26 Million over the next two years and Phillips is owed 50 million over the next 4 years.
    Last edited by SidneySlicker; 10-21-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Since the Reds were 3rd in the NL in offence, and the Giants 10th, I'd say the Giants needs on offence are worse than ours.

Frazier had a 2.7 WAR last year, Panda 2.5.

Buyer beware.
    It certainly is a risk. However, if (and it's a big if) you can actually get Sandoval motivated and in shape his ceiling is much higher than Frazier. Sandoval has the ability to be a .900 OPS bat, he's already done it twice in his career in a much more pitching friendly ballpark. Plus, he's only 27, so he's roughly the same age as Frazier.

Bottom line is I think Choo is probably gone and he was a major factor in the Reds being 3rd in offense. I'd argue hitting is the new pitching in the era we are in, and I hope Walt see's it. The Reds simply can't go into next year with Frazier, Cozart, Mesoraco, Ludwick, Hamilton and the pitcher as 6 of their starting lineup. That's just begging for a 3rd place finish in the division.

8. Likes:

joshua (10-21-2013),SidneySlicker (10-21-2013)

Another potential option to add offense that I'm sure some won't like is Carlos Ruiz. He was much better after coming back from injury last year, and was very good before that.

He probably won't break the bank, and could add some offense for a year or two.

Max Scherzer is available. How about something creative like Brandon Phillips, Cash and Billy Hamilton to Detroit for Max Scherzer?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Max Scherzer is available. How about something creative like Brandon Phillips, Cash and Billy Hamilton to Detroit for Max Scherzer?
    Hamilton is young, his legs are in prime shape, he is under control for years, he is dirt cheap, he is a major drawing card.

Scherzer is a very good pitcher who has one year before free agency, is arbitration eligible, and already earns close to $7 million per year.

This would be a very bad move IMO. I'd rather give away Phillips for one mid-level prospect.

And paying part of Phillips' salary by including cash? No.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-21-2013 at 04:26 PM.

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-21-2013)

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

Is Austin Jackson included?

Probably going to take quite a bit more than that to get Scherzer.

***Never mind I didn't realize he only had one year left on his deal***
    Last edited by SidneySlicker; 10-21-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Hamilton is young, his legs are in prime shape, he is under control for years, he is dirt cheap, he is a major drawing card.

Scherzer is a very good pitcher who has one year before free agency, is arbitration eligible, and already earns close to $7 million per year.

This would be a very bad move IMO. I'd rather give away Phillips for one mid-level prospect.

And paying part of Phillips' salary by including cash? No.
    I think you are undervaluing Mad Max a tad, he is a top 5 pitcher in all of baseball.

I think you are undervaluing Mad Max a tad, he is a top 5 pitcher in all of baseball.
    Max might work out here, but I do not think that you go after rental SP. We have a very good rotation right now and for the future, we are getting Stephenson and possibly Corcino and Travieso once they develop.

I think the trade to Detroit needs to be BP for Castellanos.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

17. Likes:

joshua (10-23-2013)

MLB history is littered with pitchers who had one good year in the middle of their career. Stay away.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post

Bottom line is I think Choo is probably gone and he was a major factor in the Reds being 3rd in offense. I'd argue hitting is the new pitching in the era we are in, and I hope Walt see's it. The Reds simply can't go into next year with Frazier, Cozart, Mesoraco, Ludwick, Hamilton and the pitcher as 6 of their starting lineup. That's just begging for a 3rd place finish in the division.
    I agree with your post but disagree with your adoption of the "third in offense" contention.

The Reds were third in aggregate runs scored in the NL. IMO that is not the same as third in offense.

A better way of evaluating the offense IMO would be to look at the team's wRC+, park and league adjusted measure of a team's offense. The Reds were sixth in the NL.

When you look at all elements, high OBP, tenth SLG in the league (GABP team), below .250 BA, I think the wRC+ rating is a good summary of the offense.

I'd note that OPS+ has the Reds ranked even lower, 7th-8th.

However the Reds view it, it's obviously not an empty debate. They have to decide how they want to approach the off-season. I think several more average to above average bats is critical even if Choo stays, but especially if he doesn't. I hope the Reds agree, but we'll find out eventually if they do.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-21-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Turn Off Ads?