Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Go Team Coco!

Go Team Coco!

Just wanted to remind those that don't watch cable television much that Conan makes his return to television November 8. Of course, you'd probably have to be living a mennonite lifestyle not to already know that

I'm really enjoying these Conan commercials being aired. Many of them are pretty amusing. I'll be interested to see how the build-up helps ratings when they launch.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Go Team Coco!

Just to provide a little perspective, if you don't watch TBS, you wouldn't know this was happening. I've seen zero mentions of his return to TV since the Reds were eliminated in the playoffs.

You would have thought that TBS would've promoted this during their baseball coverage, but I heard no mention of it. Well, there were the shots of the Conan blimp and the related voice-over promos at each and every commercial break, but other than that, they spent more time covering the baseball game than they did promoting Conan.

Being serious, I hope he buries Leno in the ratings, but I must confess that I'll watch from 11:00pm until the opening monologue and skits are over then flip somewhere else. Unless there is the rare guest that I care about, I never watch any late night talk shows after the opening 20 minutes are over. So while I hope he beats Leno at 11:30pm, I probably won't be doing anything to help him at that time.

Anyone know why they chose to start at 11:00pm instead of 11:30 or 11:35 or whatever?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

You guys are going to add music to this right? Otherwise I am going to look like a "donkey".

I won't be watching his show. He cries foul against Leno and then does the same thing to George Lopez, who did not publicly cry about it. Besides, I don't think he is that funny.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

You guys are going to add music to this right? Otherwise I am going to look like a "donkey".
    He needs no help doing that. I deduced that just from watching his commercials.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I won't be watching his show. He cries foul against Leno and then does the same thing to George Lopez, who did not publicly cry about it. Besides, I don't think he is that funny.
    Not even remotely a comparison.

The show was given to him by Leno and then 6 months later, he wanted it back. It wasn't just about the time slot but rather taking back a show he was given.

Lopez moving was nothing like what happened with the Tonight Show.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Lopez volunteered to move first, probably because his ratings are likely to go way up.
    Go Gators!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Lopez volunteered to move first, probably because his ratings are likely to go way up.
    Not only did he step aside voluntarily, Lopez was actively involved in the process of luring Conan to TBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Not even remotely a comparison.

The show was given to him by Leno and then 6 months later, he wanted it back. It wasn't just about the time slot but rather taking back a show he was given.

Lopez moving was nothing like what happened with the Tonight Show.
    Jay Leno is not an NBC executive. He didn't give O'Brien his job and he didn't in reality take it away.

Back in 2005, NBC announced that 2008 would be Leno's last year on the Tonight Show probably because they feared losing O'Brien. In an effort to keep both hosts, NBC created the primetime slot for Leno and promised him a year at that time slot. O'Brien went to the Tonight Show slot and Jimmy Fallon moved to the late night slot.

The Leno experiment had terrible ratings and The Tonight Show with O'Brien lost virtually half its ratings. The decision made by executives was forced by loss of dollars as Leno was a terrible lead in to the late news, and O'Brien was hurting the lead in to late night, which apparently had been a high profit time slot.

The shake-up was not dictated by Leno but by ratings and dollars.
    Last edited by Spitball; 11-03-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Jay Leno is not an NBC executive. He didn't give O'Brien his job and he didn't in reality take it away.

Back in 2005, NBC announced that 2008 would be Leno's last year on the Tonight Show probably because they feared losing O'Brien. In an effort to keep both hosts, NBC created the primetime slot for Leno and promised him a year at that time slot. O'Brien went to the Tonight Show slot and Jimmy Fallon moved to the late night slot.

The Leno experiment had terrible ratings and The Tonight Show with O'Brien lost virtually half its ratings. The decision made by executives was forced by loss of dollars as Leno was a terrible lead in to the late news, and O'Brien was hurting the lead in to late night, which apparently had been a high profit time slot.

The shake-up was not dictated by Leno but by ratings and dollars.
    That's only half the story.

Actually, the contract to make O'Brien the replacement was signed closer to 5 years prior. You're right that NBC didn't want to risk losing him.

But Leno had originally planned on leaving. He changed his mind (for the first time) and NBC talked him into the 10 PM show. Then, after he realized he didn't like the slot he was in, he asked for the show back. It was his idea, not NBC's. NBC went to Conan and told him they wanted to give Leno the 11:30 slot back, and wanted Conan to move to Midnight or 12:30.

Either way, Conan was promised The Tonight show and then Leno & NBC tried to take it back. No matter how you slice it, that's simply nothing like the Lopez situation.

Then, after he realized he didn't like the slot he was in, he asked for the show back.
    This is absolutely not true. In fact, you can go back and watch the episode after Leno learned his show had been cancelled. He was bitter and made comments that night on air about going to the Fox network. He commented that NBC stood for "Now Been Cancelled." Go ahead and watch the episode.

He did not make the decision. It was made for both him and O'Brien based on failing ratings.

Either way, Conan was promised The Tonight show and then Leno & NBC tried to take it back.
    A lot of television personalities are "promised" a television slot but they fail. O'Brien failed in the Tonight Show slot as he brought in nearly half the ratings that Leno and Johnny Carson had for nearly fifty years. As with Leno in the 10:00 slot, ratings were the absolute bottom line...not anyone's ego.

No matter how you slice it, that's simply nothing like the Lopez situation.
    The Lopez situation was a touchy one. TBS took great measures to lay the groundwork to insure there were not comparisons made to the NBC situation. Lopez was not onboard with O'Brien taking his time slot...at all. It was reported that Lopez was part of the team to bring O'Brien to TBS, but the decision had absolutely nothing to do with Lopez's wishes or desires. The decision was based on O'Brien's choice and TBS's desire to cash in on O'Brien's orchestrated sympathy campaign.
    Last edited by Spitball; 11-04-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Bill Carter's book just released on this very topic.

This is absolutely not true. In fact, you can go back and watch the episode after Leno learned his show had been cancelled. He was bitter and made comments that night on air about going to the Fox network. He commented that NBC stood for "Now Been Cancelled." Go ahead and watch the episode.

He did not make the decision. It was made for both him and O'Brien based on failing ratings.

A lot of television personalities are "promised" a television slot but they fail. O'Brien failed in the Tonight Show slot as he brought in nearly half the ratings that Leno and Johnny Carson had for nearly fifty years. As with Leno in the 10:00 slot, ratings were the absolute bottom line...not anyone's ego.

The Lopez situation was a touchy one. TBS took great measures to lay the groundwork to insure there were not comparisons made to the NBC situation. Lopez was not onboard with O'Brien taking his time slot...at all. It was reported that Lopez was part of the team to bring O'Brien to TBS, but the decision had absolutely nothing to do with Lopez's wishes or desires. The decision was based on O'Brien's choice and TBS's desire to cash in on O'Brien's orchestrated sympathy campaign.
    He never liked the 10 PM slot to begin with. He went along with the network's 5-year plan for Conan to take over, and got cold feet near the end. The network wanted to keep him and proposed the 10 PM show. He reluctantly went along with it. But it was never something he wanted to do and as it started failing, he wanted his old slot back. The only part I agree with is that NBC was unhappy with the ratings, so they worked with Leno to move the show back to its old time slot.

Further, on the Lopez situation, every report I've read indicated he was happy about it. Why wouldn't he? He now would have Conan as his lead-in. But even if he weren't totally on board, it's not the same situation. Unlike Conan, he didn't wait five years for one particular show, one particular time slot, and then have it jerked out from under him after a few months.

It's just really nothing alike. At all. Regardless of whether or not it was Leno's doing or the network's, what was done to Conan was a whole lot different than Lopez. I don't want to focus too much on whether it was Leno's fault, because actually it kind of gets away from the key point: Conan was screwed.
    Last edited by Brutus; 11-05-2010 at 08:09 AM.

I honestly don't think he's ever made me laugh.

Turn Off Ads?