Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930 LastLast

Thread: It's time to "Blow it up".

Re: It's time to "Blow it up".

Man, you quoted yourself? C'mon, that's low-A material. You're a Big-Leaguer, Tom.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If the decision is ever made to blow it up.... assign the job to the bullpen. They're more then up for the job,
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

4. Likes:

westofyou (06-21-2014)

3 games back in the wild card chase.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

With all the bullpen moves of late, it appears that the FO gets that the team needs bullpen help above everything else. That's somewhat consoling.

7. Likes:

HokieRed (06-22-2014),Old school 1983 (06-22-2014),RedEye (06-22-2014),toledodan (06-22-2014)

How do we get an ok arm and a left fielder to keep the team viable for the near future? Which everyday starter, besides Ludwick are you willing to give up? I've been trying for a scenario that doesn't include Chapman or Cueto....
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Or Mes, or Frazier, or Hamilton. So I guess I am willing to Give up Cozart.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou1990 View Post
    How do we get an ok arm and a left fielder to keep the team viable for the near future? Which everyday starter, besides Ludwick are you willing to give up? I've been trying for a scenario that doesn't include Chapman or Cueto....
    The Dalai Lama walks up to a hot dog vendor and says, "make me one with everything. "

The Lama hands the vendor $20 and he gives him his hot dog. The Lama says, "can I get my change?" To which the vendor replies, "change comes from within."

Moral of the story is, cross your fingers the Reds sign Iglesias, because I see any problems to this roster being solved in house. And frankly, right now, the bullpen appears to be the only problem.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agree with this completely. I'd take the next month to gauge what it will cost to extend Latos and what it will cost to extend Cueto, and extend whichever is cheaper. If they'll both sign for Bailey money, I'd sign both. Otherwise sign one and trade the other.

However BEFORE I did that, Id aggressively shop both Alfredo Simon and Mike Leake. I agree with the retool rather than reload statement. This team has two primary flaws: there is not enough offense coming out of LF and SS given the rest of the lineup. However the rest of the lineup is pretty much set for the next few years. Jesse Winker is the LF of the future, but he is probably two years away. I would give this team one more month to go on a tear and turn things around. However it would have to be an absolute year and I wouldn't count on it- mainly because I don't think this team has the offense it needs to contend for a Pennant, even when healthy (which it's clearly not). So assuming the team doesn't go 20-7 over the next month, I'd aggressively shop both Leake and Simon in an attempt to significantly upgrade LF and SS. I'd include names like Cozart, Y.Rodriguez, Lively, Moscot and even Brandon Phillips of you could find a taker. I'd be targeting names like Joc Pederson, Mookie Betts, Deven Marrero, Nick Franklin, Rougned Odor, Jonathan Schoop, and Addison Russell. I'd even check in on the recently displaced Xander Bogaerts and the injured Jurickson Profar- just because you never know. If and only if the Reds are completely underwhelmed with the offers they're getting for Leake and Simon, I'd consider moving Cueto (if you know you can re-sign Latos). While it is true that you're probably punting not only this year but next year of you deal Johnny, the Reds will not be able to compete without significant offensive upgrades- particularly in LF and SS. And unless they're going to make a run at Drew, Lowrie or Hardy this offseason, which I doubt they can do and still afford to extend Latos/Cueto, the help has got to come via trade.

A name like Cueto will surely pique the A's interest on Russell, the Sox on Bogaerts or the Rangers on Profar- but hopefully Walt can find the right guy for Leake and/or Simon first. Latos is coming back for Simon's spot anyway and Stephenson should be able to man Leake's spot in the rotation in 2015 and beyond.
    Amazingly, they got pretty darned close to 20-7 this month after all!
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-29-2014 at 07:41 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

12. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (06-29-2014)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou1990 View Post
    Or Mes, or Frazier, or Hamilton. So I guess I am willing to Give up Cozart.
    You know, Cozart is as irreplaceable player as we have on the team.

You want Santiago playing full time?

Cozart isn't a great hitter, we all get that, but he's an excellent glove man.

His close to average in WAR in the majors this season among SS. And I expect his hitting will improve enough to bring him squarely within that average group.

14. Likes:

Always Red (07-01-2014)

bench bat and bullpen arms, that all I'm looking for if I'm the Reds brass.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

16. Likes:

HokieRed (06-29-2014),villain612 (06-29-2014)

Like I said.

Let the kids play!

Quote Originally Posted by joe51391 View Post
    Like I said.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

19. Likes:

Always Red (07-25-2014),PepperJack (07-25-2014),tomnuetten (07-25-2014)

This team is going nowhere fast.

Let the kids play!

21. Likes:

DocRed (07-25-2014)

they're going somewhere, going to the bottom of the Mariana Trench

Maybe, but at least it took significant injuries to Votto and BP for it to get to this point, you wanted to blow it up in May.

24. Likes:

Raisor (07-26-2014)

Turn Off Ads?