Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hal - what's wrong and what's right

Re: Hal - what's wrong and what's right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't think you can ust look at ST stats and make a judgement one way or another. But for a guy like Jones, you look to see what he's done during the regular season as of late and you look at the ST stats and you have to think that the guy cannot hit anymore. It's highly unlikely that he's going to perform poorly in the spring and all of a sudden revert to All Star form when the regular season starts.
    No, you watch how he plays, without paying any attention at all to ST stats, to come to your conclusion of whether or not he can play. You don't give a player extra credit for ST results or take credit away for lack of results.
    Last edited by blumj; 03-22-2009 at 11:13 AM.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

2. Turn Off Ads?

Jayson Stark was on WLW this morning. He said that he was at Harang's last start. He was concerned with what he saw. He asked scouts in attendance what they saw. The response was that he was only working on locating his fastball, no breaking stuff. The scouts thought he looked ok.

The take home lesson? We shall see on opening day.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Harang's stats don't bother me all that much....the reports of his fastball not being fast and his breaking pitches not breaking do.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Harang's stats don't bother me all that much....the reports of his fastball not being fast and his breaking pitches not breaking do.
    I didn't get to hear much of the game today and there was no thread, but I heard that we combined to only give up two hits in the shutout against the Bucs today. I assume Harrang pitched well. Is that right?

edit: found this on the spring training updates from Sir Charles: "Actually, Aaron ended up going 6 innings of no hit ball and 4 k's and 2 bb's. Nice to see Aaron his dominant self again."
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Off today...watching hoops...didnt listen. That report is good to see!

Nice game by Harang today, especially considering the Pirates were playing their starters and not the Sunday Special scrubs....

A 6 inning no no is more like the Aaron Harang I'm used to....

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Emil Brown? What has he had to do with the Reds?
    http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...il-Brown.shtml

The big guy was Stratton.
    he probably would have made the team out of spring if not for his heel injury. either pitchers found a new way to get him out, or he didn't entirely recover from it, but he was out of the game not long after.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    From Gammons' article today:

The Reds have let teams know that they will wait and see whether they need to move Aaron Harang during the season. Harang is scheduled to make $12.5 million next season and $12.75 million with a $2 million buyout for 2011. After going 34-23 with a 3.68 ERA from the start of the 2006 season until he made his four-inning relief stint on two days' rest on May 15, 2008, he went 4-11, 5.88. "Aaron's been OK this spring, because he battles so hard," one scout said. "But the life on the ball he runs in on left-handed batters isn't the same."

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    From Gammons' article today:
    That proves nothing. The guy has made, what, three or four appearances so far? Nobody has their "A" stuff that early in ST.

Dusty on Harang today:

"He was sharp," Dusty Baker said. "He had a great breaking ball. Threw some good inside fast balls. That's as good an outing as I've seen in long time. He should feel very proud himself. Hopefully, we can go from here."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    That proves nothing. The guy has made, what, three or four appearances so far? Nobody has their "A" stuff that early in ST.

Dusty on Harang today:

"He was sharp," Dusty Baker said. "He had a great breaking ball. Threw some good inside fast balls. That's as good an outing as I've seen in long time. He should feel very proud himself. Hopefully, we can go from here."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com
    Sorry but I prefer the unbiased opinion of a scout over that of one Dusty Baker...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Sorry but I prefer the unbiased opinion of a scout over that of one Dusty Baker...
    One scout. Early ST. Not a big deal to me. Again, who has their "A" stuff that early in ST? And I highly doubt that Dusty Baker made up the part about Harang having a good inside fastball today.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-22-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

One scout. Early ST. Not a big deal to me. Again, who has their "A" stuff that early in ST? And I highly doubt that Dusty Baker made up the part about Harang having a good inside fastball today.
    I agree. I would be concerned if Aaron were saying "Man, I just don't know what is wrong out there". He's a pro, knew he had some mechanical timing issues and was working on them. Good enough for me. I think he will bounce back. Today's start was a good corner piece for him to build towards a successful April.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I'm not disagreeing with you, but it is funny how Baker is an idiot when he isn't on your side of the fence and all-knowing when he is.

I personally think that anyone who's trying to use quotes by unnamed sources or Dusty Baker is barking up the wrong tree. I'm not neccessarily saying you guys are doing it, but if the intention is using those snippets as anything more than "food for thought" then I think your going to get a misinformed opinion. Until we see Harang in the regular season all of these opinions are just as worthless as the next.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but it is funny how Baker is an idiot when he isn't on your side of the fence and all-knowing when he is.

I was thinking the same thing (in general, not just pointed at you OBM).

Turn Off Ads?