Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Laws on Dogs

Re: Laws on Dogs

No, Lt. It is totally dependent on the collar capable of delivering a shock if the boundary is breached. The animal learns the boundaries and will stay within them. Outside animals can enter at will.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    No, Lt. It is totally dependent on the collar capable of delivering a shock if the boundary is breached. The animal learns the boundaries and will stay within them. Outside animals can enter at will.
    This is true. Personally I feel it's much better than putting the dog out on a chain like some folks do. The poor things start running after another dog, reach the end of the chain, and get choked. With invisible fence, I've never really had issues with dogs roaming into my yard too much because my dog is a dominant border collie mix and chases any that enter out of the yard. She stays in the yard and keeps the others out. In fact, the neighbor whose dog is always roaming free just broke down and got invisible fence installed because the neighbors got together and had a talk to him.

By the way WMR, how's school treating you?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Umm, ready to get the hell out of here, quite honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Umm, ready to get the hell out of here, quite honestly.
    I know the feeling. It will be over soon, right? Good luck.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Thanks buddy. Yep, the end is nigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    So on the invisable fence deals...do they do anything to keep other dogs out of your yard? I'd hate to have the loose dogs in the neighborhood driving my dog nuts while she is basically "trapped" in her yard.
    My opinion on invsible fences is that they are a decent solution for supervised control of your pet. However I would never trust them for unsupervised simply because of the fact you mention that other animals can get in.

Of course everyone's situation is different, and with me having no neighbors and lotsa room, the invisible fence is not necessarily attractive to me from a containment perspective (altho' I can see some applications for it like keeping our dog out of the garden, especially when it is planted and/or muddy!!). We have a large portion of our yard well fenced in (though of course not 100% critter proof). We still do not leave our dogs outside unsupervised for any great length of time.

Our golden accompanies me on my general outside chores and he is able to be trusted un-restrained under supervision. But that is because of where we live. I would not do it in a town setting because he still may want to chase something and run into the street, scare other people walking by (even tho' he's harmless they do not know that!) , etc... That is where IMO an invisible fence does come in handy if you do not want or cannot have real fencing.
    Last edited by bucksfan; 04-02-2008 at 12:03 PM.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    So on the invisable fence deals...do they do anything to keep other dogs out of your yard? I'd hate to have the loose dogs in the neighborhood driving my dog nuts while she is basically "trapped" in her yard.
    Nope and that was one of the reasons we decided against it. Instead, I put up a chain link all by myself.

Not only can you not keep oterh animals out of your yard, but if your dog somehow gets out, they will not want to go near the line for fear of getting shocked so they won't go back in.

Also, some types of dogs are more motivated by chasing something like a squirrel that they'll go right through it without thinking about it. And once they realize that it's only a brief shock that doesn't last, they'll have little hesitation to go through it again. If that happens you've just spend a lot of money on something that no longer works.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Nope and that was one of the reasons we decided against it. Instead, I put up a chain link all by myself.

Not only can you not keep oterh animals out of your yard, but if your dog somehow gets out, they will not want to go near the line for fear of getting shocked so they won't go back in.

Also, some types of dogs are more motivated by chasing something like a squirrel that they'll go right through it without thinking about it. And once they realize that it's only a brief shock that doesn't last, they'll have little hesitation to go through it again. If that happens you've just spend a lot of money on something that no longer works.
    That's when you increase the shock on the collar. Invisible fence is also only as effective as the training you give the dog to familiarize it with the boundaries.

I can't do a regular fence with my dog. She can easily jump a 6 foot fence and can get close enough to the top of an 8 foot fence to make us nervous. Since we don't feel like surrounding our yard with the Green Monster (and I doubt zoning laws would permit it), Invisible Fence has been our only option.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    She can easily jump a 6 foot fence and can get close enough to the top of an 8 foot fence to make us nervous. Since we don't feel like surrounding our yard with the Green Monster (and I doubt zoning laws would permit it), Invisible Fence has been our only option.
    Yeah, that would be a problem! I am fortunate that the jumping talent is allocated completely to our little Havanese while our golden is more earthbound. Otherwise I'd have to rethink my situation.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post

That was my thought on the invisible fence as well. I opted for the 6' stockade fence, despite the fact that my dog is a toy fox terrier. He acts like a big dog

Turn Off Ads?