Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody know a good way to make extra money on the side?

Anybody know a good way to make extra money on the side?

I always thought after graduating from college and getting a full-time job, money wouldn't be that big of an issue as a single, young professional. Well, that blew back in my face. Car loans, car insurance, student loans, rent, utilities, gas, cell phones....all that crap adds up. So...does anybody know of a good way to make some extra money on the side? Obviously I'm working M-F, so Saturday and Sunday are pretty much my only options.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anybody know a good way to make extra money on the side?

I would say since you are on this site that it is likely you like baseball, so consider umpiring baseball games. You can make in the range of $45-$65 a game depending on the level you work. You can make a good $150 on a Saturday or Sunday doing something that for the most part is fun.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I would say since you are on this site that it is likely you like baseball, so consider umpiring baseball games. You can make in the range of $45-$65 a game depending on the level you work. You can make a good $150 on a Saturday or Sunday doing something that for the most part is fun.
    I second that only would say get into basketball. Games run on a time limit, you can do multiple in the span of one baseball game, and they go year round.

Perhaps. I was a soccer referee years ago (it was actually my first job). Pay was decent but I hated dealing with the parents. They were so brutal. Not sure if my opinion on that matter would have changed by now or not.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Before I'd look for a 2nd job, I'd review my expenditures to see where I could cut. Cutting out a coffee here a soda with lunch, etc. adds up quickly. For me, I'd rather have the personal free time than more stuff and a second job. Can you alter your living arrangements to cut cost significantly? Do you have expensive hobbies, like golf, and a gym membership? Trade them in for a less expensive hobby like running and kill two birds with one stone. Disc golf is a load of fun. About $30 in initial cost and you can enjoy for a long time.

If you still need some cash flow, consider asking a Fireman if they or anyone they knows that mows lawns/grass somewhere. They will know at least one fireman that does so. Mowing grass is a nice low-stress secondary activity if you need extra cash. Also gets you outside after being inside all week. The seasonal aspect also gives you a break from working 2 jobs.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Perhaps. I was a soccer referee years ago (it was actually my first job). Pay was decent but I hated dealing with the parents. They were so brutal. Not sure if my opinion on that matter would have changed by now or not.
    There is no need to deal with the parents. In 14 years of officiating I have never once spoke with a parent during a game. Just ignore them and call the game. If fans yelling taunts at you bothers you then just give it time and after so long the taunts will not bother you. When fans taunt me now I just laugh inside at them.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Find a local moving company.

There is no need to deal with the parents. In 14 years of officiating I have never once spoke with a parent during a game. Just ignore them and call the game. If fans yelling taunts at you bothers you then just give it time and after so long the taunts will not bother you. When fans taunt me now I just laugh inside at them.
    The line I like to use is May I have your info and I'll let you know when they are having the class so that you can get paid for this. That usually will shut them up.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    The line I like to use is May I have your info and I'll let you know when they are having the class so that you can get paid for this. That usually will shut them up.
    No.

Ignoring them while they rant like idiots behind a fence is the best method.

Ignoring them drives them nuts.

Some people that I know that have had their salary/hours cut, are doing landscaping and lawn care.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

No.

Ignoring them while they rant like idiots behind a fence is the best method.

Ignoring them drives them nuts.
    I only use it if the players are being distracted or being emboldened by the idiocy (IE questioning my calls or yelling back at the parents and not a school functioned game).
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Pimpin'

It ain't easy, but the money good.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I would strongly encourage you to look at where you could cut your expenditures first. In your judgement, is this income you're seeking for the purpose of "keeping up" or to get ahead? Just curious.

Plasma still sells, doesn't it? (As do other bodily fluids.)

Turn Off Ads?