Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NBA Mock Draft

Re: 2012 NBA Mock Draft

You know what I think would maximize Sully's effectiveness in the NBA? Make sure he's paired with a Center who is a true low post threat.

Sullinger would be great on the Kings with Cuz but taking him at 5 is a stretch. I would still rather take my chances with Sully than Drummond.
    Last edited by WMR; 06-01-2012 at 03:09 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    In regards to Davis I thought he was a man amongst boys in college. He did develop a nice jumper as the season went along but the issue I see with Davis is he is going to face guys night in night out who can guard him.
    Who among NBA centers is going to able to guard him both inside and out?

Kidd-Gilchrist can get into the lane and to the rim. I think you can always work on your shot, he just has that ability that few players have.
    See, I see it as there are literally hundreds of guys that can get to the lane and rim, but, if defenders lay off him, how's he going to get there?

Terrance Jones played on a team where he was facing the teams second best big man defender. He was a good player who was put in a unique position to succeed. The big question I have is similar to that of Davis, what will happen when he has a defender on him who can guard him? Few college teams are deep enough to run 2 good post defenders out there every night.
    Last season, Jones was the go-to low post guy and averaged 15.5/9/1.6/1.1 against the best the other team had to offer. He came back to Kentucky to win the championship. That tells me he's willing to sublimate his ego for the team.

Your two sleepers are both UNC guys. Total UNC has a total of 4 guys potentially getting drafted in the pros. It raises a flag to me as to whether or not they benefitted from each others play or whether they all were that good. The thing with Henson is his bulk as well as his shooting. Will he be able to shoot the ball enough and will he be able to bang enough.
    Henson already shoots well out to 15, Zeller out to 18. Henson's jump hooks with either hand are impossible to block. As to banging, he did it well enough to average 10 rebounds and 3+ blocks per game. He may not, but others his size (Greg Monroe is, IMO, his closes comp) have done just fine.

My two sleepers would be two Syracuse guys. I think Melo can be a Roy Hibbert type player, but on the Roy Hibbert type path. He won't be an over night success story but if you stick with him he can be a force inside. I haven't really seen anyone score at will like Waters. He took over games at times against good defenders and scored from the outside and around the rim.
    Like Melo, but don't expect any offense at all. He'll get 5-8 points a night, maybe scratch double figures at his peak. He just has no feel for anything other than a dunk. Even tip-ins are an adventure. Defensively, however, he could very well be exceptional. A 5/10/2+ block guy at C playing top-flight D would be great for a team like Miami.

I only really saw Beal play once and didn't remember him. He did nothing to stand out against OSU. The same can't be said about Rivers, who beat good defenders left and right.
    Beals was outstanding in SEC play against top-flight defenses. Rebounding shooting guard who can shoot out to 25. Really nice upside.

I agree with about everything Scrap said. My only concern is that Davis got absolutely shut down by Whithey. He had a hard time dealing with someone his size.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Henson had a FT rate of 32.9, absolutely terrible for a guy of his height. He is in fact afraid to mix it up inside offensively. For comparison, Zeller had a FT rate of 56.3 while Greg Monroe in his sophomore season at Gtown was over 53. Tough guys get to the line. Henson is no tough guy. I think he's the obvious bust of the four Carolina guys.

Anthony Davis will be a perennial All-Star. I wouldn't put money on anyone else in this draft to be one although a few certainly have the potential.

I love this draft. There are a ton of draft picks that will be solid NBA players and quite a few, IMO, that could be outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I agree with about everything Scrap said. My only concern is that Davis got absolutely shut down by Whithey. He had a hard time dealing with someone his size.
    Yet found other ways to dominate the game. Of course, he could have the same track as Greg Oden.

My crack at it:
    1.New Orleans-Anthony Davis (C-Kentucky)
    2.Charlotte-Thomas Robinson (PF-Kansas)
    3.Washington-Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (SF-Kentucky)
    4.Cleveland-Andre Drummond (C-UConn)
    5.Sacramento-Bradley Beal (SG-Florida)
    6.Portland-Jared Sullinger (C-Ohio State)
    7.Golden State-Terrence Jones (PF-Kentucky)
    8.Toronto-Harrison Barnes (SF-North Carolina)
    9.Detroit-Jeremy Lamb (SG-UConn)
    10.New Orleans-John Henson (PF-North Carolina)
    11.Portland-Damian Lillard (PG-Weber State)
    12.Milwaukee-Tyler Zeller (C-North Carolina)
    13.Phoenix-Dion Waiters (SG-Syracuse)
    14.Houston-Austin Rivers (SG-Duke)
    15.Philadelphia-Terrence Ross (SF-Washington)
    16.Houston-Kendall Marshall (PG-North Carolina)
    17.Dallas-Quincy Miller (SF-Baylor)
    18.Minnesota-Royce White (PF-Iowa State)
    19.Orlando-Marquis Teague (PG-Kentucky)
    20.Denver-Arnett Moultrie (PF-Mississippi State)
    21.Boston-Doron Lamb (SG-Kentucky)
    22.Boston-Moe Harkless (SF-St Johns)
    23.Atlanta-Myers Leonard (C-Illinois)
    24.Cleveland-Jeffery Taylor (SF-Vanderbilt)
    25.Memphis-Fab Melo (C-Syracuse)
    26.Indiana-Festus Ezeli (C-Vanderbilt)
    27.Miami-John Jenkins (SG-Vanderbilt)
    28.Oklahoma City-Andrew Nicholson (PF-St Bonaventure)
    29.Chicago-Kevin Jones (PF-West Virginia)
    30.Golden State-Darius Miller (SF-Kentucky)
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    You know what I think would maximize Sully's effectiveness in the NBA? Make sure he's paired with a Center who is a true low post threat.

Sullinger would be great on the Kings with Cuz but taking him at 5 is a stretch. I would still rather take my chances with Sully than Drummond.
    On what planet is counsins a center? Chuck Hayes was Sacto's center this year, which should tell you something.
    Drummond is legit. He has a lot of potential if he remains healthy, and accepts his coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Yet found other ways to dominate the game. Of course, he could have the same track as Greg Oden.
    My love affair with Davis knows no bounds (I wore a unibrow to work often during the tournament), but I hope people aren't expecting Tim Duncan. He is much closer to the Tyson Chandler/Marcus Camby range of center, with better shooting range (if NBA teams let him do it).

Speaking of shooting range, that reminded me of a story about Camby. In the NBA, he gets putbacks and dunks and that is about it on the offensive end. But, I have a friend who played against him in a pickup game when Marcus was younger. MArcus decided that he wanted to run the point, and so he ran the offense and shot 3's...and dominated. It just goes to show you how good these guys are.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    My love affair with Davis knows no bounds (I wore a unibrow to work often during the tournament), but I hope people aren't expecting Tim Duncan. He is much closer to the Tyson Chandler/Marcus Camby range of center, with better shooting range (if NBA teams let him do it).

Speaking of shooting range, that reminded me of a story about Camby. In the NBA, he gets putbacks and dunks and that is about it on the offensive end. But, I have a friend who played against him in a pickup game when Marcus was younger. MArcus decided that he wanted to run the point, and so he ran the offense and shot 3's...and dominated. It just goes to show you how good these guys are.
    Well I hope he turns out better than Camby or Chandler. Davis is what, 19 years old? He hasnt developed physically fully yet. He is like no player I have ever seen at the collegiate level. How does he translate to the NBA? I dont know, but to me there is no comparison out there. But I would agree with WMR, KG is the closest thing to him.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    On what planet is counsins a center? Chuck Hayes was Sacto's center this year, which should tell you something.
    Drummond is legit. He has a lot of potential if he remains healthy, and accepts his coaching.
    I agree. IMHO, aside from Davis, Drummond possesses a much higher ceiling than any player in this draft, followed by Barnes, Perry Jones and Terrence Jones--in no particular order.

If you are Charlotte, and you are most assuredly going to participate in next year's lottery, why not swing for the fences? How have the "safe" picks been working out for the Bobcats?

Robinson and Kidd-Gilchrist may well develop into decent players, but do not possess star potential ceilings. As of right now, I wouldn't draft either one with the second pick.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I agree. IMHO, aside from Davis, Drummond possesses a much higher ceiling than any player in this draft, followed by Barnes, Perry Jones and Terrence Jones--in no particular order.

If you are Charlotte, and you are most assuredly going to participate in next year's lottery, why not swing for the fences? How have the "safe" picks been working out for the Bobcats?

Robinson and Kidd-Gilchrist may well develop into decent players, but do not possess star potential ceilings. As of right now, I wouldn't draft either one with the second pick.
    If I were the Bobcats I would take Beal.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    If I were the Bobcats I would take Beal.
    Of the "safe" picks, I'd certainly take Beal over Robinson or Kidd-Gilchrist. Beal's ceiling is higher, that's for sure. Beal will be off the board by the 4th pick.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Of the "safe" picks, I'd certainly take Beal over Robinson or Kidd-Gilchrist. Beal's ceiling is higher, that's for sure. Beal will be off the board by the 4th pick.
    I agree. I think Beal is one of the few "impact" players out there. Davis and Beal then ????????? This draft does not impress me in the least. Quite a few "talented" players in it, but very few glare out at me.

Charlotte's guards aren't horrid. They need shooters, scorers, interior defense, and rebounding. Hence, Robinson. They could also gamble on Drummond, I suppose. (I question his production, however. At least Cousins produced with his poor attitude/ supposed work ethic problems. Drummond's been disappointing across the board.)

Were I Charlotte, I'd go with Robinson, and, early in the 2nd, Darius Miller. (Miller's a SF/SG with very good rage and above average defense. He's also shown an affinity for both starting and as sixth man. Of course, if Vandy's Taylor is there, I'd take him first, I think. I'd also think about Jenkins.)
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 06-02-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Charlotte's guards aren't horrid. They need shooters, scorers, interior defense, and rebounding. Hence, Robinson. They could also gamble on Drummond, I suppose. (I question his production, however. At least Cousins produced with his poor attitude/ supposed work ethic problems. Drummond's been disappointing across the board.)
    They need everything including the kitchen sink! Beal is young and has the chance to grow a tad more. He has the potential to be the face of the franchise, and a NBA All-Star. I dont see that in Robinson or Drummond quite frankly. But what do I know..........I thought Ralph Sampson, Waymon Tisdale, and Christian Laettner were sure fire locks in the HOF.

Turn Off Ads?