Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would You Like to See OSU and Michigan in the Same Division of the Big Ten?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 80.00%
  • No

6 20.00%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

OSU-UM Football Rivalry

According to this writer the OSU-UM football rivalry could go by the wayside:

The Big Ten should announce its division pairings sometime in September, and the idea of placing Michigan and Ohio State in opposite divisions has been gaining steam, with everyone from Ohio State coach Jim Tressel to Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany to Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith to Michigan athletic director David Brandon laying groundwork for that possibility
    http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.s...n_must_no.html

I think this is a mistake. Arguably, OSU-MI is the most storied rivalry in all of sports and this setup would end it. In years like this yr in all likelihood the two wouldn't even meet. Some years they would meet twice, further diluting the impact of the game.

I feel strongly that they should be kept in the same division so that they play every year and also it would ensure that a lot rides on the game.

What do you think?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

It doesn't matter to me about divisions, as long as they make sure The Big Game gets played every year on the last weekend of the Big 10 schedule.

As a matter of fact, I think the last week of the season should always look like this.
    OSU v Mich
    IU v Purd
    Ill v NW
    Iowa v Neb
    Minn v Wis
    MSU v PSU

That should get some rivalries going at the end of the year.
    Last edited by Captain13; 08-24-2010 at 10:21 AM.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

The Buckeye Bomber

They have to play every year in the last regular season game. If they take that away it ceases to be the greatest rivalry in American sports.

Hopefully UM/OSU grads and fans can get vocal and make sure this doesn't happen.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

I would be in favor of placing them in opposite divisions if the Big Ten does indeed go to divisional play. If anything the rivalry would intensify. A Big Ten tile game matching the Wolverines and Buckeyes would be a blast. Of course, I say that as someone with no horse in the race and maybe UM and OSU fans feel differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    According to this writer the OSU-UM football rivalry could go by the wayside:

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.s...n_must_no.html

I think this is a mistake. Arguably, OSU-MI is the most storied rivalry in all of sports and this setup would end it. In years like this yr in all likelihood the two wouldn't even meet. Some years they would meet twice, further diluting the impact of the game.

I feel strongly that they should be kept in the same division so that they play every year and also it would ensure that a lot rides on the game.

What do you think?
    It's all about revenue. Put Ohio State and Michigan in separate divisions and see to it that they play every season (which would probably still happen), and then if both teams are hot, they face each other again in the Big Ten Championship.

It divides them up and likely means they will see each other twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Letting them play twice only set the league up for logistical disaster. One school wins on the other's home field, goes unbeaten. In a title game rematch the previous game loser pulls the upset and wins the Big Ten title. The credibility of the league title is iffy at best and the league could well miss out on a National Title Game appearance.

The best division breakdown for the Big Ten:

Ohio State
    Michigan
    Iowa
    Michigan State
    Indiana
    Purdue

Penn State
    Nebraska
    Wisconsin
    Northwestern
    Minnesota
    Illinois

Revenue wise you split the 6 biggest, most reliable fan bases up evenly. 99% of the time one of those schools will be in the title game, and about 80% of the time you'll have 2 of the 6 playing each other.

OSU/Michigan
    Iron Bowl
    ND/USC
    Army/Navy

Football rivalries are special because you only meet once. One shot for everything. You start giving them the chance to meet twice a year, every year and you dilute the rivalry. Suddenly OSU playing Michigan won't be the same draw it was before. Over time it wouldn't draw more eyeballs and dollars than a Michigan/Nebraska or Ohio State/Penn State game, and you've ruined a great thing in vein.
    Last edited by guttle11; 08-24-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Put all 12 teams in one division. Overall winner gets a bid to the title game.

Opponent is drawn at random from the 11 remaining teams, NBA lottery style.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Letting them play twice only set the league up for logistical disaster. One school wins on the other's home field, goes unbeaten. In a title game rematch the previous game loser pulls the upset and wins the Big Ten title. The credibility of the league title is iffy at best and the league could well miss out on a National Title Game appearance.

The best division breakdown for the Big Ten:

Ohio State
    Michigan
    Iowa
    Michigan State
    Indiana
    Purdue

Penn State
    Nebraska
    Wisconsin
    Northwestern
    Minnesota
    Illinois

Revenue wise you split the 6 biggest, most reliable fan bases up evenly. 99% of the time one of those schools will be in the title game, and about 80% of the time you'll have 2 of the 6 playing each other.

OSU/Michigan
    Iron Bowl
    ND/USC
    Army/Navy

Football rivalries are special because you only meet once. One shot for everything. You start giving them the chance to meet twice a year, every year and you dilute the rivalry. Suddenly OSU playing Michigan won't be the same draw it was before. Over time it wouldn't draw more eyeballs and dollars than a Michigan/Nebraska or Ohio State/Penn State game, and you've ruined a great thing in vein.
    Penn State has to be in the East. They have been upset over travel costs, and the next wave of conference expansion will be done with them in mind.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Do Michigan fans WANT the 'rivalry' to continue?

As they say, sometimes the better part of valor is discretion.

There is ebb and flow to every rivalry. OSU has dominated recently, but UM kicked their butt for a long stretch in the late '90's/early 2k's.

I'm just afraid that no matter what they do, it will wreck the rivalry.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Do Michigan fans WANT the 'rivalry' to continue?

As they say, sometimes the better part of valor is discretion.
    You mean the same one that Michigan leads, 57–43–6?

Ummm yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    You mean the same one that Michigan leads, 57–43–6?

Ummm yeah.
    I knew someone would quote the all-time record...

what's the record for UM v. OSU in the Tressel era?

Maybe just move divisions until he retires?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I knew someone would quote the all-time record...

what's the record for UM v. OSU in the Tressel era?

Maybe just move divisions until he retires?
    It's not good, but then again what was it during the Bruce era?

History is not just what you can see in YOUR rearview mirror, there are folks who have been watching that matchup for decades

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It's not good, but then again what was it during the Bruce era?

History is not just what you can see in yOUR rearview mirror, theer are folks who have been watching that matchup for decades
    True, true.

It's just gotta be getting real old having OSU put a big negative stamp on the UM season every year...

maybe getting away from having to play the OSU juggernaut would help the UM program recover? But then again, think how good it will feel to finally beat them again... it cuts both ways, I guess.

I personally love collegiate rivalries and would hate to see this one changed...

I'm sure WMR was ready for UK to admit they couldn't compete with UofL back when Petrino's teams were dominating UK a few years back (and after John L's teams and even Ron Cooper's teams had pretty much owned the series).

Strangely, the tides sometimes turn.

Turn Off Ads?