Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 67 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Hot Stove Rumors (Discussion)

Re: Reds Hot Stove Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    IIRC, I believe that a higher percentage of ground balls go for hits than flyballs.

Guys like Derek Lowe who get groundballs generally don't have a history of having a lower BAPIP. Usually they will have significantly less home runs than other guys, and more DP's that help the success of a pitcher.
    That makes sense.

Think about it. A hard hit ground ball can shoot through the infield and be a base hit. Flyballs have to be well placed bloops to be a hit. If it's hit hard enough, it's not longer a flyball, it's a line drive.

This is why I think the whole separation between groundballs, flyballs and line drives needs to be reworked. It really is more about how hard you hit the ball, and that needs to be taken into account if we are to understand what really happens with balls in play. I'm hoping as PitchFX advances, we will be able to do more of this.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wonder what it would take to get both Gio & Bailey??
    Alonso, Stubbs, Homer Bailey, maybe do it??

Then maybe get a solid guy like Danks (previously rumors that the Reds are interested) with someone like Corcino & Wood.

Rotation of:
    Gio
    Cueto
    Danks
    Leake
    Arroyo/Chapman/Volquez

with Bailey as the new closer... doesn't sound bad.

Bailey for Stubbs is a steal.

For the A's.

GABP suppresses doubles, and for a guy with Stubbs' speed, his doubles total was very low, especially compared to his HR totals the last two years. Put him in the AL west, and his HR power might take a little dip, but not much of one, but his doubles might just... double. he might be looking at a .470+ SLG%. greater power numbers added to hitting where he needs to hit, 7-8 in the order and his OBP could shoot up to the .340+ range. Plus his speed would play well in those bigger OF's.

I'd want Bailey plus a minor leaguer. At least a B prospect.

ugh. I feel dirty.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I'm hoping as PitchFX advances, we will be able to do more of this.
    It is there. We just don't have access to the data right now (we may never actually get it either, but Sportsvision did release one months worth of data to some guys last year to work with).

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

For the A's.

I agree. I would not do that trade.
    They can have Heisey or Sappelt and I would throw in another medium prospect too.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post
    Wonder what it would take to get both Gio & Bailey??
    Alonso, Stubbs, Homer Bailey, maybe do it??

Then maybe get a solid guy like Danks (previously rumors that the Reds are interested) with someone like Corcino & Wood.

Rotation of:
    Gio
    Cueto
    Danks
    Leake
    Arroyo/Chapman/Volquez

with Bailey as the new closer... doesn't sound bad.
    I think that's too much to pay. I'm fine trading Stubbs and Bailey, but I think a marginal guy in addition would do it.......but not Alonso.

I'd love to obtain Gio and Bailey. Could solve 2 problems if they pan out right. Stud starting pitcher and closer.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I think that's too much to pay. I'm fine trading Stubbs and Bailey, but I think a marginal guy in addition would do it.......but not Alonso.

I'd love to obtain Gio and Bailey. Could solve 2 problems if they pan out right. Stud starting pitcher and closer.
    I just don't get the love for Gio Gonzalez. He is essentially Edinson Volquez in a much larger ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    IIRC, I believe that a higher percentage of ground balls go for hits than flyballs.

Guys like Derek Lowe who get groundballs generally don't have a history of having a lower BAPIP. Usually they will have significantly less home runs than other guys, and more DP's that help the success of a pitcher.
    I believe the numbers are around 23% of groundballs go for hits and 14% of flyballs.

The trick, obviously, is to keep more of those groundballs in the infield to lower the BABIP. But of course merely keeping the ball on the ground is preferable despite the extra hits since those hits are in the ballpark.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Not to derail this thread, but we have no idea whether pitchers can control their BABIP.
    If pitchers could control thier BABIP, I'm curious as to why they don't.

It would seem to be a jazz of an idea to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I just don't get the love for Gio Gonzalez. He is essentially Edinson Volquez in a much larger ballpark.
    Agreed. I'm not big on acquiring Bailey either unless Trevor Cahill is thrown in. $3 Million plus and some of our talent makes acquiring a starter much less likely. The best offer I'd make for Andrew Bailey would be Volquez and some lesser minor leaguers like Kris Negron or Jordan Smith. If Bailey could be had for a couple lottery tickets and salary relief, I'd take him, but I wouldn't give up a lot of value for him.

Then I'd package Masset and Stubbs for John Danks.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I would trade Stubbs as a part of a deal for a solid starter. Danks. Wandy. Somebody like that. If we somehow got that starter in another fashion then Stubbs for Bailey could make sense. However, I suspect Stubbs (as part of a deal) is one of our better excess chips that we can deal. I have no problem with a trade of one of our centerfielders for Bailey but I think the Reds need to fix their #1 problem first. Then try to improve other places. IMO the #1 problem is getting a pitcher who is at least a solid #3 starter to replace Volquez/Willis in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

For the A's.

GABP suppresses doubles, and for a guy with Stubbs' speed, his doubles total was very low, especially compared to his HR totals the last two years. Put him in the AL west, and his HR power might take a little dip, but not much of one, but his doubles might just... double. he might be looking at a .470+ SLG%. greater power numbers added to hitting where he needs to hit, 7-8 in the order and his OBP could shoot up to the .340+ range. Plus his speed would play well in those bigger OF's.

I'd want Bailey plus a minor leaguer. At least a B prospect.

ugh. I feel dirty.
    I wouldn't trade Stubbs until he is properly coached. He has too much potential, and Dusty, nor anybody else, doesn't want to "mess with his game." Get him coached well and he could be electric.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

Again, we don't know that they don't. The data doesn't say that. That's a conclusion that one may draw from the data, but it by no means is the only logical or even the best one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I wouldn't trade Stubbs until he is properly coached. He has too much potential, and Dusty, nor anybody else, doesn't want to "mess with his game." Get him coached well and he could be electric.
    I'm not so sure Stubbs is very coachable. Maybe it's the coaches, maybe it's him.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

Well, Marty thinks a ML pitcher should be able to throw a strike whenever he wants to.. But obviously, if pitchers could do that, there'd never be a nonintentional BB.

What's more likely:
    1. that a pitcher can sometimes control his BABIP. However, it's difficult and can't be done on every single pitch.
    2. Other than walks, Ks and HRs.. pitching is pure "luck"

I'm more inclined to believe #1. Yes, I realize that #2 is an oversimplification of the entire BABIP theory, but that's it in a nutshell.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?